'86' Transit petrol

View previous topic View next topic Go down

'86' Transit petrol

Post by harv on Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:55 am

All
I bought a very well loved, only 2 previous owners, swb transit last year with just 56k on the clock.
Other than an odd patch of surface rust and one or two small corrosion points the old girl is in very good shape.
She ran fine with no smoke on acceleration or over run and was turning in @ 28 mpg if driven steadily.
On a recent run I had an issue with a blocked fuel jet and found the standard 'VV' carb had bits of diaphragm/gasket swirling around in it. I cleaned it up and fitted an in line filter as well as a new plastic fuel line from the pump...however, it happened again. The symptom being I could only limp along on manual choke as a get you home measure.
Having read up a bit on a transit forum I bit the bullet and fitted a Webber carb with manual choke that I bought from an on-line source....WHAT A DIFFERENCE!
It feels much smoother, starts first turn after a long lay up and the mpg appears to have crept up to @ 30 ish.
Not sure if a mention to the supplier of the kit, which was comprehensive and with clear instructions is in order but just in case anyone else has similar issues it was £179 from a company called 'Fast Cars' in Wales.
It took me about 3hrs to fit and Im a very 'average' spanner man. My local garage put it on their MoT dyno and with a couple of tweaks had the emissions well inside MoT standard.
Very pleased!
harv

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Flair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: '86' Transit petrol

Post by boxerman on Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 pm

I'm surprised that the VV carb had lasted so long!
Not one of Fords better designs.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by harv on Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:00 pm

hugegrins I now have two spares if anyone is stuck for them....
harv

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Flair

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:25 pm

boxerman wrote:I'm surprised that the VV carb had lasted so long!
Not one of Fords better designs.

Funny you should say that - we had loads of problems with ours (from new) and after a couple of years I replaced it with a Weber with manual choke. In our case it did not give better MPG than the VV (probably because we used the extra power available) but it did run a lot more nicely.

However, when I expressed my poor opinion of the VV on the UK Ford Transit owner's forum recently, loads of people came to its defence, and the consensus was to favour the VV over the aftermarket Weber!
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:02 pm

The idea behind the VV was quite good, like a cross between a downdraught and a CD but it was too complex. I find it odd that it has any supporters at all, most folk did as you did, dump it and fit something better, usually a progressive dual choke Weber.

None of Fords carbs were much cop to be honest, approximate copies of Zeniths with drillways instead of proper jets.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:04 pm

To be safe you should let your insurers know that you have changed the carb. Emphasise that the change was because the old one was worn out and give them details of the new model number.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum