The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GPS question

+3
Peter Brown
Dutto
modelman
7 posters

Go down

GPS question Empty GPS question

Post by modelman Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:17 pm

Already have one of the first Tom Toms for the car, another bike tom Tom, & a 7" Navman that was used in the MH.
Last week I received the latest Truck/Camper 760LMT-D from Garmin, & so far I think I like it a lot, its got free map updates for life, free traffic info, bluetooth hands-free, & I LOVE the voice activated commands, which works a treat, thousands of camp-sites built-in & provision to customise & add more.
The reversing camera plugs straight in, so at a stroke, the dash is cleared of the rear-view monitor & visorblade bluetooth, 
It has the choice of shortest,quickest, most economical & easiest routings etc. also there are zillions of car/truck parks, shops, etc. etc.
BUT, on ALL my other units, I am given around 4 different routes (different colours) on the screen to choose from, on this one I only get the one, SO, any you guys who have the same model can tell me if i'm missing something or doing something wrong??

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

GPS question Empty Re: GPS question

Post by Dutto Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:46 am

Hi there,

WOW!!  Different routes?  I'm impressed!!  allthumbz 

On the three different models of GPS I have owned (1 Navman and 2 Garmin) after feeding in "fastest", "shortest" etc all they have ever offered is a "take it or leave it" route!!

I can't help you with the problem, but I will have a look at the Garmin 760LMT.  Many thanks.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:56 am

Same experience as Dutto with both Navman and Tomtom

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:46 pm

yes,  i have had different route options,but only one shown at a time. maybe i need to go to Specsavers. hugegrins 

Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:14 am

Hi there,

Just checked out the 

Camper 760LMT-D

on Garmin and it definitely looks the business … but …

…..  I'm not sure that I would ever use many of the features, such as:

o  Voice Activated.  What happens in an argument as to where we are going?  Who does it believe, me or my better half?

o  Bluetooth.  Phone and drive?  No thanks.  (Personally I think they should be banned.)

o  Up Ahead Services Information scrolling past all the time?  No thanks.

o  SmartPhone Link.  Why would I want my phone spending money all the time to tell me current conditions when I can look out of the window?

o  Wireless Reversing Camera.  Why should I spend an extra £110 when I have a lady who tells me to within a millimetre how far I can reverse?

o  One-Stop Device Management.  Being so inept with anything electronic this equals "One-stop to screw up every device you own!"

Okay, so I'm a dinosaur, but rather than spend £460 (GPS and Camera) I think I will go for something a bit more basic like the 
nüvi®️ 2547LM at £149.99.

By the time it needs to be replaced the Camper 760LMT-D will probably be on sale at Halfords for about £50 anyway! allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:03 am

Any of you tried WAZE?  It's a free nav app but does need a mobile device to work as is 'live'.
When on route Bournemouth last week it rerouted us off the M27 through Totton to avoid traffic build up ahead.
Heard on the radio next day that traffic was stuck for SIX HOURS which is where we would have been.
Live traffic is a very helpful device.
Have a look at WAZE on your phones or tablets it is a very clever little free nav system  allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:16 am

I originally asked the question about the routing parameters, not what you thought about it.
I agree that it has more facility's than I will use, such as the smart phone link, BUT, it also has the wired AND wireless camera input, so I simply plugged in my existing one! (didn't buy the wireless cam )
I don't agree with you about bluetooth, i've lost count of the drivers i've seen with a phone against their faces, even a cop-driver once!   Whats wrong with it, no different really from 'singing along with the radio'!!  Its a bit annoying sometimes when you get stuck in town behind a parked-up ( correctly ) car with the driver on the phone. 
As for the Voice activation, again, i'm a convert, as a few times in the past i've pulled over out in the boonies & started 'screen-tapping' looking for the nearest fuel, now I simply say 'fuel' & the screen fills with all nearby ones, she asks 'which line' I say 1, 2 3, etc. & the route comes up on the screen!! Sorry, but I love that  smile!  
I do wonder though, if it can cope with a broad dialect!!
By punching-in the van length, height etc, its supposed to NOT take you down unsuitable routes, last year, with my 'old' unit, we found ourselves going where we wouldn't normally have gone, it was ok, but bordering on 'iffy'.  
I took for a run yesterday, & it found a traffic hold-up 30 miles ahead, popped up on the screen & asked if i'd like to re-route, again, I like that.
The basemap is the world, but the full detail is the whole of Europe, with free lifetime updates. But with OSM, I can download full detail maps of anywhere in the world for FREE!!
I did just that for my new Garmin Etrex handheld, & they are brilliant.

BTW, I think I made a mistake, looking again at the Navman widescreen, the 4 coloured routes highlighted on the screen, ARE in fact, shortest, quickest, economical etc, you simply select the one you want!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:22 pm

modelman wrote:I originally asked the question about the routing parameters, not what you thought about it.
 Brilliant - exactly the same thoughts! Feeling a bit needy Dutto?  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Sorry to have wandered off your original question. A bit like Chinese whispers these threads. On a Landrover forum I once asked about a cylinder head problem and it ended up talking about back axles  shrugg

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:56 pm

Hi there,

Not sure about the "feeling a bit needy" comment as my first post was in relation to:

"on ALL my other units, I am given around 4 different routes (different colours) on the screen to choose from, on this one I only get the one, SO, any you guys who have the same model can tell me if i'm missing something or doing something wrong??"

Apparently this was a mistake but in the meantime I had taken a good look at this bit of kit and my last post stated:

"Camper 760LMT-D  ….

…….. definitely looks the business …. but …"

I am now pleased to announce that, having read out loud all of the "but" comments, as well as the features that I particularly like, my nearest and dearest reckoned that it is a bit of kit that is well worth having!

Number one on the "sell" list was "Voice Activation" (I have been known to adjust the GPS on the move in traffic!) , followed by "Lifetime Map Updates" (we have met up with quite a number of new roads and configurations in the last two years since we updated), "ACSI site locations" (which means we can dump two catalogues that block up the glove-box) and finally "Bluetooth" (because my good lady is ALWAYS too late in answering the phone when it rings; and it hurts her soul to pay for the voicemail and then to ring back the caller!!)

Having agreed that we didn't need the reversing camera I did a bit of research on prices.

From Garmin the 760LMT-D, with carrying case and delivery, came to £368.97.  The cheapest I could find via Amazon and a couple of other sites reduced the price by about £15 so I decided it wasn't worth it and went direct to Garmin.

Many thanks to Modelman for pointing out this bit of kit. allthumbz  allthumbz 

I was due a new GPS (the NUVI being over 5 years old) and I'm looking forward to cultivating my "Oxford English" voice just in case it doesn't recognise broad Derbyshire! Whistle1  

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:05 pm

I was due a new GPS (the NUVI being over 5 years old) and I'm looking forward to cultivating my "Oxford English" voice just in case it doesn't recognise broad Derbyshire! Whistle1  

Best regards,
 drinksallround

"The fet cet shet on the met"

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:31 pm

dandywarhol wrote:

Best regards,
 drinksallround

"The fet cet shet on the met"
Or alternatively:

"The impoverished OAP decided that he may as well upgrade his GPS because he had yet to find out how he could take his ever diminishing pile of pennies with him when he shuffled off to that great Campsite In The Sky!"  allthumbz 

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:35 pm

Whooooosh, over your head Ian - it's "proper English" for the fat cat shat on the mat  biggrin

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:12 am

goneoff  goneoff but ……

I was in the pub getting everyone a drink when my Mum (aged 97 at the time) looked at this cat walking past her chair and said to my wife "That looks just like Smokey."

Helen had never heard of Smokey so she pointed out the cat concerned and repeated Mum's comment when I arrived with the drinks.

Mum was right.  The cat definitely looked like Smokey.

"I wonder whatever happened to him?" said Mum and brought to mind one of the most traumatic events of my childhood!

Apparently Smokey had shet in Dad's bed; as he discovered when he went to get into bed after night-shift and his hand skated across the bedspread.

The first I knew of this was when my Dad entered the kitchen with Smokey dangling from his hand, walked over to the boiler (which was fairly cool), lifted the lid, dropped Smokey into the soapy water and put the lid back on with the statement "No cet shets in my bed."

There was considerable thumping coming from inside of the boiler as Smokey attempted to get through the wooden lid but after a few minutes the noise quietened down and all that could be heard were my sobs as I mourned the passing of my pet cat.

Dad lifted the lid to check and behold, Smokey was alive.  (He must have realised that his only chance of surviving was to keep still and stick his nose into the quarter-inch air gap under the lid.)

Smokey was not only alive he was pretty determined to stay that way and this screaming streak of wet grey fur hit all four walls of the kitchen (and possibly the ceiling as well) before realising that the back-door was open and making his exit.

Smokey went feral and although I saw him around the village on many occasions we never re-established the level of intimacy that we had had before Dad tried to drown him.

In fact, Smokey never returned to the family home and for some reason known only to himself treated all of our family with a level of distrust that prevented any of us getting close to him!

I had to admit to my Mum that, in the end, I didn't know what had happened to Smokey either!

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi there,

New GPS arrived today!

Still wrestling with it (and losing a few of the bouts) but cannot get over how big it is!!

Got it to work on Bluetooth and just like ET I phoned home - and got a huge amount of feedback as I was sat in the same room!!  Whistle1  Whistle1 

Have fed in three profiles.  "Petal", "Petal with Trailer" and "Petal with Boat".

Now all I have to do is to remember to change the Icon on the screen and it will be a constant reminder that I do or do not have a trailer on the back!  I can also get rid of the "Trailer" warning on the dashboard!

Still trying to find the ecoRoute option but I am still downloading stuff so I presume that it will get here eventually.  On the Nuvi I found it very useful in keeping an eye on my fuel consumption.

Anyway, back to the learning curve!!  think_smiley_46 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:52 am

AHA !!   Well done that man.

Been 'messin about' again & knocked up an enclosure for the dash, colour too light, so it will be toned down to match the dash.

Chopped out from a sheet of 6mm B&Q MDF
GPS question GPS1_zps0e21d5dc
GPS question GPS3_zps291f046e

GPS question GPS6_zps191a54a1
GPS question GPS8_zps67d064c5

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:02 am

I'm once again full of admiration at your skills.

One question though - I'm sure the console will have to be removed during an MOT; how do you plan to fix it?

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:36 am

Peter Brown wrote:I'm once again full of admiration at your skills.

One question though - I'm sure the console will have to be removed during an MOT; how do you plan to fix it?

Peter
Peter,

Me too!!  That looks really neat.  up!  up! 

I presume the MOT question was because of the "restriction" to the view out of the front windscreen?

It may not be a problem for some people, me included!  From the waist up I should be 6'6" tall, but from the waist down I should be 5'6" tall which is why I am 5'11"; and could easily see over the top of that console even though I have trouble reaching the pedals!

I like the look of it ……  think_smiley_46  think_smiley_46  … and I need something to do in this awful weather …..  think_smiley_46  think_smiley_46 .. so maybe!

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:44 am

I've had no problems with my dash mounted screen at MOT time. The test station is a BT maintenance depot so no axe to grind, just a fair MOT.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:09 am

The bottom of the box is contoured to fit the dash profile & it has a foam strip, this alone prevents it from sliding about, but I have a square of velco on a shaped block between the box & the screen as well, this locks it in place very tight, as for the view, well since its right at the front & 'down' just in front of the de-mist vents, its actually far less an obstruction than if it were on the sucker to screen, I know as I tried it, plus the fact, that when it went for MOT last year, the 'old' 7" unit was on the screen & the examiner never said anything.
Working on a way to hide the cabling under the dash, which will probably mean routing it INSIDE the dash & out under the centre of the screen, looks like there'll be more 'fishing about' with the stiff draw-wire smile!
The unit itself is easily removed from the box since its still on the provided  ball-mount & unclips as per original.

If I don't like it after all that, then it simply goes into the 'failed-again' bin with all the other crackpot ideas that I've had, & there's been loads, believe me  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:22 am

modelman wrote:
Working on a way to hide the cabling under the dash, which will probably mean routing it INSIDE the dash & out under the centre of the screen, looks like there'll be more 'fishing about' with the stiff draw-wire smile!
The demister vents for the screen and quarterlights are just outlets for a large box-like plastic duct which goes from one side of the dash to the other. They don't have separate ducting to each vent which means the back of the dash is virtually inaccessible from the top.
I ran a cable through the demister ducting while I had the heater out but that's something of a palaver.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:24 pm

Ah, thanks for that Frank, saved me a lot of work, do you think the cables can be pushed/layed under the dash to windscreen joint, just in front of the vents ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:52 pm

Answered my own question, I DID manage to tuck the wiring down the front bottom of the windscreen, brought it round to the right side, added an extension lead, it can be seen over the gear lever, but it too will be hidden.
Just resprayed a darker shade, not a perfect match, but a bit 'nearer' & blends in more now.
GPS question GPS9_zpsf14edfe2

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:56 pm

I thought of that but the duct seems to be tight up against the bulkhead. The duct is also internally divided to supply the face level vents which are supplied with air all the time - no way of shutting off the supply to them.

Been trying to find a drawing / diagram but can't find any reference to it on the Pug parts site.

EDIT
I tucked my GPS cable out of the way by removing the A post trim and pushed the wire into the gap with a blunt instrument. I bought a couple fag lighter socket extensions off ebay and connected them straight to the fusebox. One for the satnav & one for the dashcam. Keeps the wiring under the dash, out of the way and frees up the fag lighter socket.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down