New members and forum etiquette

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New members and forum etiquette

Post by Paulmold on Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:53 am

I know that this has been brought up before but all forums suffer from the same problem. Along comes a new members and their first post is to complain about their new motorhome. No 'hello' just straight in with a complaint. Would you not consider it simply polite to say 'hello' first?
These members then expect to get sympathy for their problems from other members.
Forum etiquette requires you to say a simple 'hello' and a few words about yourself. When you sign up you are requested to do just that but no, just ignore that and jump straight in with a complaint. You will get much more response from members if you introduce yourself first.
As I said at the beginning, all forums have the same problem. Many of us here are members of other motorhome forums, MHFacts, MHFun, OutandAbout etc, and we have all read similar threads and topics on those. Once the complainers have aired their grievance and got the support of others, the problem presumably is sorted because the poster then mysteriously disappears, never to be heard of again and never joins in the forum banter, never helps anyone else who has a problem.
Come on new members, don't just join to complain, join in the topics, give advise yourselves in other words be an active member. 
There I've said it, helmet now on for the flack.
Paulmold

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New members and forum etiquette

Post by abc123 on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:20 am

This was a test post. Content now in PB below.

Peter
abc123

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:24 am

You will notice that I created another 'username' just to check that this is the case!!

Problem is Paul, there are no clear instructions to post an introduction.
If the 'signing up' process as a new member 'forced' an introduction post to be made, then that may resolve the issue.
I do not know how easy or if at all possible that would be?
Maybe Admin might have a solution.

I agree, from an etiquette point of view, it is how a forum should operate.

Since being 'reprimanded' by a 'few' I no longer make any mention of introductions to new members.
As a result I have also 'given up' the task of welcoming new members to the site as well, however will willingly help anyone with a problem that I have experienced or come across.

I agree with all that you have written. (you may need some body armour as well as the helmet) up!

PB

Last edited by Peter Brown on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I hope this is what was requested. Peter)
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by johnandeva on Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:57 am

Totally agree Paul, no need for any flak, just manners, regards johnandeva
johnandeva

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ian on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:28 pm

Not bothered.

Some folks can make a fuss introducing themselves and can then 'disappear' in the same way that others might jump

straight in without an introduction to then not only ask loads of questions but also provide helpful advice and information.

There's now't as queer as folk. I find it's best to make a judgment over time rather than being too quick to criticise.

An early admonishment to a new member often makes me cringe

No-one's perfect...not even staff/admin who can ignore posts or fail to answer emails. I don't know why but I'm sure it's not personal.

This Forum, in my view, has lost too many good members and contributors in the last year and I think that's a great pity.

Let's embrace 'the differences' .

Cheers Ian

AND
 Have A

Happy_New_Year
ian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:54 pm

Perhaps the issue, sometimes at least, is that a new joiner may not have ever been on a forum of any kind previously and would likely be totally unaware of any etiquette.

I can't remember exactly, but is there not a welcome message sent when you sign-up?  If so, a prominent part should be a request to introduce yourself.  I thought that was the case, but may be confusing ASOF with other forums.
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Dec 28, 2013 2:04 pm

SteveUK wrote:Perhaps the issue, sometimes at least, is that a new joiner may not have ever been on a forum of any kind previously and would likely be totally unaware of any etiquette.

I can't remember exactly, but is there not a welcome message sent when you sign-up?  If so, a prominent part should be a request to introduce yourself.  I thought that was the case, but may be confusing ASOF with other forums.

I also thought that new members were requested to do an intro upon joining but as PB points out above, it does not seem to be the case. I think it ought to be.
Paulmold

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:23 pm

Hi, I don't get upset by people asking questions.I have used many sites,and still do, and no one has got upset or asked me to give information yet.
Many come on a site and just look. Then one day something catches their eye and next min, they have posted.
I don't read anything serious or dangerous in this action.
 live and let live.You don't have to reply if you don't like the poster for any reason.
that's IMHO  of course. hugegrins 
happy new year
Mike old and grumpy
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:31 pm

While I agree that it is polite to do an introduction most folk find this forum because they have a problem or, like me, because they have just ordered a van and are trying to find out more about it than was given by the dealer. In both cases they are distracted from followingthe "polite" route. In my own case I did a Hello about 6 months after I joined the forum and I am glad to say that it was of my own volition (when I noticed that it was expected) and not because I was TOLD to.
I did post acriticism some months ago when I noticed that a large propoprtion of some members' posts were along the lines of "If you post an intro then we will try to help you" which I would have found very off putting. Now it is more common to see a helpful response with the suggestion that a hello would be appreciated - which I find acceptable.
I think that any member who simply responds with a demand to do a hello is not following my own vision of the spirit of this forum. If I had received such a bald demand then I doubt that you would have seen over 250 posts from me to date.

HOWEVER - that is my personal view and I know that others think differently.

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:47 pm

Perhaps my original post comes across more about me expecting an intro but like PB I just don't bother welcoming members who don't introduce themselves. My main gripe is the members who simply join to have a go at AS. Well take your complaint to AS but before you do that take it to the dealer you bought it off, after all your contract of sale is with them. Only then if problems still remain, tell us about it.
If you buy a TV from Argos or Currys and it's faulty, is the first thing you do go on a forum and tell the world - no - the first thing you do is take it back. Then if the service you require is not forthcoming, then tell the world.
Am I really feeling this grumpy today? My apologies!
Paulmold

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:23 pm

As a newcomer to this forum (which I thoroughly enjoy) and a quite serious user of a Landrover forum I have to agree with Mikethebike.
Well said Mike  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ian on Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Paul...You're being grumpy. Sit down, have a drink and shut up !

John...You're too positive. Sit down, have a drink and shut up !

That's sorted those two out. Live and let live I say........but not do! 

Now the rest of the Forum!
ian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:39 pm

ian wrote:Paul...You're being grumpy. Sit down, have a drink and shut up !

John...You're too positive. Sit down, have a drink and shut up !

That's sorted those two out. Live and let live I say........but not do! 

Now the rest of the Forum!

Excellent idea  drinksallround allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog on Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:19 am

I can't understand this obsession with people introducing themselves, if someone aproches me on a campsite and askes a question I will answer to the best of my ability without any introduction as I will on this site if I know the answer. In fact I don't read any post that only apears to be an introduction as far more important things to do with my life
Shubberdog

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman+Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:38 am

We ask for an intro (on the forum) for a couple of reasons - not much to ask for I really dont see what the problem is. I would think before anyone joins they would have a read through some of the sections and would be aware of this. Lets drop the subject now its gone on long enough

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:52 pm

The problem is Roli, for some new members, especially the older less internet experienced ones, posting on any Forum for the first time can be quite a "Big Deal"…Then to suddenly get an experienced member telling them to post an intro first….it does makes me cringe a little. I really do like this site, the quality of advice and chat is first rate. I also think small in the case of this site is good, but I do wonder if we lose members over this. I suppose the way to find out is to count the amount of new members who've posted, then been asked to to do an intro and never posted again.

I'm certain the forum can be set up, so that the new members first post must be in the intro section, i'm pretty sure I've gone through that process on another forum.

journeyman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2008

View user profile http://www.motorhomedreamer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:22 am

Shubberdog wrote:I can't understand this obsession with people introducing themselves, if someone aproches me on a campsite and askes a question I will answer to the best of my ability without any introduction as I will on this site if I know the answer. In fact I don't read any post that only apears to be an introduction as far more important things to do with my life
This is the best reasoned response I have seen to the issue.
Totally agree.
I too have cringed at the first response a newcomer gets to a question is a request for an introduction.
Backtrax

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:19 am

Most forums can be set up so that no one can post until membership is approved and IMO this would be the route to take, a forum I administer works this way. Its down to Admin on how he feels regarding this forum.

I dont think you can consider how often someone posts as many only want to browse and not post or if they do post maybe its cos they have an immediate subject they wish to bring up and you may not see them again posting

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 am

People don't have to 'sign up' to read this forum, so I wonder why folk do and then never post. If you go to the 'memberlist' link at the top and then 'sort by - posts' and then go to the last page and work forward there are hundreds of members who have never posted. Actually over 175 pages of members but 75 pages of 'no post' members, that's 1875 members who joined for no reason. Why join and then not actually join in.
As for not being internet-savvy, I assume people find this forum by googling 'Autosleeper'. To get that far means you know a little about the internet.
I was told earlier to 'sit down and shut up', I tried but it seems the 'anti-intro' members can't leave the subject alone.
Time to lock the thread?
Paulmold

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:14 am

What annoys me are the people who sign up, posts once to ask a question, gets one or several answers to his/her problem and then never posts again - not even to say thanks. It's only common courtesy to say "thanks" to someone who has helped you.

The excuse that someone is not used to the internet / doesn't know how forums work does not wash with me. If you are not sure how something works then the obvious thing to do is to read the instructions and adhere to them. In the old days you would be told to RTFM.

Shubberdog says "if someone aproches me on a campsite and askes a question I will answer to the best of my ability without any introduction".
Personally, I have never had this happen to me, it's always been on the lines of "Hi, we have a van like yours and...." or "Hello, we were thinking of buying a van like that, could you tell me.....".
To be honest, a direct question, without any preamble would probably be met with a curt, unhelpful answer.
No-one is asking for a life story, just who you are, where you are from perhaps and what van you have / want.
If someone introduces himself as Joe from Leyland who has a Boxer based van said he was having a problem, I would likely offer to pop round and give a hand. If he hadn't told the group he came from Leyland then this wouldn't happen, so giving an intro can be helpful to the person giving it.

Why do people sign up and then not join in?
I'm a member of a few forums but I don't post often on some. On some of them I lurk to learn as other members are far more knowledgable than I. On others I sometimes think it's best to say nowt, like to the guy who stole from his employer and is now whinging about getting sacked! I do chip in occasionally when I think it's relevant though.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:29 am

Why lock the thread? It's a valid question that you asked Paul and the responses from both sides of the subject have been reasoned and well argued with respect. Personally I have no issue with members having to intro themselves, but I do dislike to the way it's implemented. Either way, I won't lose any sleep over it.

journeyman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2008

View user profile http://www.motorhomedreamer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:41 am

Just love this thread ha ha

Now I am starting to get long in the tooth I try to base my concerns and actions etc under the banner 'does it REALLY matter'. If it doesn't I get on with more important things

I think this falls under the banner 'does it really matter'? NO.

It's a great forum, it works, yes there are pro's and con's re intro's or joining in and nicer if they do but it in my mind it all comes down to 'does it REALLY matter'?

Have a really Happy stress free New Year all of you and I hope your dreams and wishes come to fruition in 2014  drinksallround

All the very best John

Last edited by Jaytee on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:08 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Spelling mistakes)

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ian on Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:25 am

Paulmold wrote:the 'anti-intro' members can't leave the subject alone.
Time to lock the thread?

In response to the original posting and more particularly 'the poster'...

If you 're not prepared to accept the answers to questions you pose...you should n't ask the question.

More particularly you should n't attack those that have taken the trouble to respond.

I thought most responses to be reasoned, moderate and good humoured.

I'm certainly not crusading as an 'anti-intro' or anti anything for that matter. Quite the opposite.

I have noticed that a word I introduced 'cringe' has been repeated by others and when I used the word it was to describe what I thought was a lack of 

sensitivity to a 'new poster' who may have subsequently been put off at such an early admonishment. 

Having now read your suggestion and also that of Roli of 'closing the thread' I wonder what sort of forum this is ? One that sets out to intimidate ?

As I said in my earlier posting the forum has lost some good members this year ....I'm not surprised.
ian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:01 am

ian wrote:
Paulmold wrote:the 'anti-intro' members can't leave the subject alone.
Time to lock the thread?
Paul actually said
I was told earlier to 'sit down and shut up', I tried but it seems the 'anti-intro' members can't leave the subject alone.
Time to lock the thread?
The person who told him to shut up was you, you also said he was being grumpy for expressing an opinion - not very friendly or constructive.

In response to the original posting and more particularly 'the poster'...

If you 're not prepared to accept the answers to questions you pose...you should n't ask the question.

More particularly you should n't attack those that have taken the trouble to respond.
Sorry - I can't see where Paul has "attacked" anyone, or told them to shut up if it comes to that.

I thought most responses to be reasoned, moderate and good humoured.

I'm certainly not crusading as an 'anti-intro' or anti anything for that matter. Quite the opposite.

I have noticed that a word I introduced 'cringe' has been repeated by others and when I used the word it was to describe what I thought was a lack of 

sensitivity to a 'new poster' who may have subsequently been put off at such an early admonishment. 

Having now read your suggestion and also that of Roli of 'closing the thread' I wonder what sort of forum this is ? One that sets out to intimidate ?
It's the sort of forum for grown-ups who don't go running away crying to mummy because someone tells them they've done something wrong.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:12 am

I suggested it was time to lock the thread because it will never reach a satisfactory conclusion to both sides of the argument as has been demonstrated.

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: