Advice from Ex Tuggers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Advice from Ex Tuggers

Post by andygump on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:30 am

Hi

I wonder if any member has recent experience of Caravan models and quality and could recommend what would constitute as a good buy in the UK.

No I am not about to go over to the darker side, But my son is considering buying a S/h caravan in this country to take back to Spain where he lives.   My last experience of caravans was in the early 70s when we had a Sprite Alpine, so bit out of touch.

Any advice would be most welcome needs to be 4berth.

Cheers 

Andy.  up!

andygump

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Advice from Ex Tuggers

Post by micknhilary on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:04 am

Like most members on this site we spent the majority of our 30 odd years caravanning pulling a touring van.  My own opinion, for what its worth, is to buy a caravan that is produced  by a current manufacturer. Its very annoying to have a body part that needs replacing only to find that the maker is out of business.
As a specific, our last couple of caravans were made by Baileys and we were very satisfied with the build quality.

Mick.
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:39 am

My sister is still a tugger and they too have had their last three made by Baileys. They like the quality and layout of the Senator range but all three have suffered from damp and had to have completely new rear panels on all three, all done under warranty. They are about to change van again but feel the quality of new ones is no longer as good so have ordered a new Swift. Our last one was a Swift Corniche of 1994 vintage and was an extremely well built van but I've no idea what later ones are like. Unfortunately there are not many manufacturers left, Swift swallowing up many 'old names' and many others have gone to the wall.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ian on Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:42 am

As an ex resident of Spain and also a caravan owner at the time I do have an important piece of advice.

The regulations for using british caravans abroad are the same as for all other motor vehicles  and that is if they are going to remain in the country for more than six months then they must be registered in the new country. They will also be subject to the same 'MOT' regulations' as are all caravans and trailers.
 Now I know from experience that importing a British caravan is virtually impossible...or it was when I lived there. The regulations are quite inflexible.
For example the fact that the door on the caravan is on the opposite side to the european models. 

My advice would be to do the research before buying a British van. Also there are lots of places to buy second hand in Spain including ex-pats.

Cheers Ian
ian

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by theBeeGees on Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:33 am

We had an Eriba which are very sturdily built and do not often have water ingress problems because of the way they are built. They also have the door on the European side. They are expensive new, and keep their prices 2nd hand, but well worth looking around for. They are very aerodynamic and tow beautifully.
theBeeGees

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:37 pm

I can highly recommend Lunar, have had two, our present one is a 2012 model a four berth, two  permanent single beds in bed room, a double made up in the front lounge,  has  a large end shower room, with a house type shower, radiator and electric flush toilet, and large washbasin with numerous cupboards, kitchen has a three ring gas and one electric, well built, never had any damp/water in a Lunar, it is the Clubman ES, has Alde heating which is brilliant.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ubuntu1 on Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:29 pm

Buy German. That would be my advice, great quality, don't suffer from damp (usually), door on the continental side and if you do need a Spanish MOT will stand a better chance of passing as they are mostly Type Approved and will be familiar to the Spanish testers.

Male

Member Age : 55
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

View user profile http://www.chatsworth-service.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by broadwayelduo on Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:59 pm

andygump wrote:Hi

I wonder if any member has recent experience of Caravan models and quality and could recommend what would constitute as a good buy in the UK.

No I am not about to go over to the darker side, But my son is considering buying a S/h caravan in this country to take back to Spain where he lives.   My last experience of caravans was in the early 70s when we had a Sprite Alpine, so bit out of touch.

Any advice would be most welcome needs to be 4berth.

Cheers 

Andy.  up!

You don't say if your son lives in a van in Spain and he wants one for that use or he just wants one for pleasure/holidays..anyway if it's to live in why bother getting one in the UK,walk around most campsites in Spain for the bargains.As ubuntu1 said buy German especially Tabbert but leave the Hobby alone and don't buy from the Dutch or German as they stick to top prices,their is also a Tabbert dealership in Barcelona that i have used,they have some good secondhand stuff.Now if he just wants a van for pleasure/holidays he would not find a better van as daisy mae said in the Lunar,nice brightly furnished and one of the lightest vans on the road for it's size.
broadwayelduo

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway el duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum