Hobs. Shattered glass lids, electric hotplate

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Hobs. Shattered glass lids, electric hotplate

Post by dbroada on Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:52 pm

and now I have checked our hot plate I would say ours is unlikely to be turned on accidentally. It is the far left cooker knob and has a heavy detent spring to keep it in place. Over the years the spring may weaken but for now I don't see it being a problem. <looking for the "fingers crossed" emoticon>

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:09 pm

Ive just come across this thread and have to admit that I have accidentally switched our cooker electric hob on. It was done while cleaning the hob and knobs.  I did not notice it for some time afterwards. Luckily the plug was, as usual, out of the socket under the cooker so it did not heat up.

I used to have a small single socket extension lead that plugged into the undercooker socket and rested on the open grill door. It was used for plugging in the Remoska, which lives on the hob top, before we added a more permanent socket.
Quilter

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:24 pm

I do the outside cooking but my wife does the indoor stuff and almost always uses the electric ring  content We have a small wok which fits nicely on it , which is handy as the usual alternative to me burning food on the BBQ is either Chinese, Thai or Indian style food. It's the gas knobs that I have developed an uncanny skill for turning on, and the obviously worry is about escaping LPG. I might investigate getting something to slide in behind the knobs to stop them being depressed when not in use  think_smiley_46

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada on Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:38 pm

Askit wrote:I do the outside cooking but my wife does the indoor stuff and almost always uses the electric ring  content We have a small wok which fits nicely on it , which is handy as the usual alternative to me burning food on the BBQ is either Chinese, Thai or Indian style food. It's the gas knobs that I have developed an uncanny skill for turning on, and the obviously worry is about escaping LPG. I might investigate getting something to slide in behind the knobs to stop them being depressed when not in use  think_smiley_46
All gas appliances in the van should (must?) have a flame detector that will turn off the gas if it isn't alight.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Fiat)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:57 pm

dbroada wrote:
Askit wrote:I do the outside cooking but my wife does the indoor stuff and almost always uses the electric ring  content We have a small wok which fits nicely on it , which is handy as the usual alternative to me burning food on the BBQ is either Chinese, Thai or Indian style food. It's the gas knobs that I have developed an uncanny skill for turning on, and the obviously worry is about escaping LPG. I might investigate getting something to slide in behind the knobs to stop them being depressed when not in use  think_smiley_46
All gas appliances in the van should (must?) have a flame detector that will turn off the gas if it isn't alight.
Thanks, I will check that next time we're at the MH  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe on Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:48 pm

A big benefit of using the electric hob is the reduction in water vapour to mist up the windows when using the van in cold weather.

In our 2014 model of Duo, fitted with the Caprice III cooker, the gas is turned off to the hob when the glass lid is lowered. I have been unable tonight to check if the electric is turned off to the hob as well, I will try in the morning and report again.
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe on Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:58 am

I have just been out to the Duo and tried the electric hotplate. The hotplate does not switch off when the glass lid over the hob is closed. In order to close the lid, the metal heat shield must be lowered and this does half-cover the hotplate.

Having tried the hob on both gas and electric, I am reasonably sure that the danger with the electric hotplate is less than with the gas burners. The flame from a burner, could touch the glass, but the hotplate is sunk lower and there is no direct contact.

So there you are, on a Thetford Caprice III, the gas is cut off when the glass lid is lowered, but the electric hotplate will stay on all the time its knob is turned to any "on" position.
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:00 am

It would save a lot of repetition if before posting; anyone goes back to the start of the thread and reads through.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum