Little windows above cab in some models

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Little windows above cab in some models

Post by CJ on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:56 am

wave Hi again guys, I have little windows above the cab in my Ametyst, however, they are not used as there was cupboards above the cab. I have decided to remove the cupboards and make another double bed, its all removed and looking good and empty until I buy a foam mattress. (On another note anyone know if it is possible to buy the material AS covered the seats in 98? That would give it the real professional look up! ). Anyway back to the point, the windows, they are still covered, so I removed all the boards and found the windows are boarded up with a piece of ply. I tried prizing it away from the window, but I chickened out when the fibreglass was making a lot more movement than the board from the window. think_smiley_46 It felt like it was screwed... but from where? shrugg Any tips? Anyone ever revealed the little windows? Is it worth it etc.? It would involve quite a bit of work cutting a perfectly rectangular hole in the boarding but I could probably do it... I hope! I feel it would be worth it to ad a little extra light but not essential. smile!
CJ

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Little windows above cab in some models

Post by roli on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:05 am

If you look many of the moncoques had these. On some of the "three/four! berth models they were actually windows. eg Talisman and Executives. The space was part of the shell and if not needed for that model didnt have the small dark luton windows fitted. If its a two berth shell then the windows may intrude into the cupboard.

Regarding the seat fabric, upto a couple of years ago I would have said yes. Somewhere on the seat cushions/bases there will be the manufacturers name. If you contacted they would be able to help, fortunately at that time you either had Green or Blue fabric so there wasn't a wide range.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Over cab windows.

Post by whisky on Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:39 am

Hi Connorhey92.

This question was asked not long ago. Find Shirleys post About the same. Might help.

Whiskey.
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alf on Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:08 am

Alf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:34 pm

Connorhey92 wrote:

wave Hi again guys, I have little windows above the cab in my Ametyst, however, they are not used as there was cupboards above the cab. I have decided to remove the cupboards and make another double bed, its all removed and looking good and empty until I buy a foam mattress. (On another note anyone know if it is possible to buy the material AS covered the seats in 98? That would give it the real professional look up! ). Anyway back to the point, the windows, they are still covered, so I removed all the boards and found the windows are boarded up with a piece of ply. I tried prizing it away from the window, but I chickened out when the fibreglass was making a lot more movement than the board from the window. think_smiley_46 It felt like it was screwed... but from where? shrugg Any tips? Anyone ever revealed the little windows? Is it worth it etc.? It would involve quite a bit of work cutting a perfectly rectangular hole in the boarding but I could probably do it... I hope! I feel it would be worth it to ad a little extra light but not essential. smile!

Would you be able to post a photo of the cupboards removed? I began to remove the cupboards a while back but after removing about 20 screws nothing moved to I chickened out - I thought they were perhaps glued and screwed in...............Thanks

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CJ on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:50 pm

CJ

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The little window

Post by CJ on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:51 pm

CJ

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CJ on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Removing the cupboards does require a little force as they are such a tight fit. Be warned the big board has some screws that can be difficult to spot hidden in the carpet. Double check everything to make sure you haven't missed any screws. Just be brave, I kept telling myself it looked fine so they would not need putting back! winks When the cupboards are removed I recommend taking both the side boards and the back board off so you see all the fibreglass. The back board has no insulation behind it, I added lots to mine. allthumbz The carpet had stains/ more colour where the cupboards had beeen, a little scrubbing and it is barely noticeable. dont_mentionIt Good luck! biggrin Any more questions just ask smile!
CJ

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:56 pm

Many thanks for that - I see the Factory utilise the centre door on a board which hinges from the bottom to fold out as a base for the bed whilst using the door to store bedding behind - clever idea up!

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CJ on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Well I thought I could use the board I took out of mine like AS do, problem is, if I hinged it, it would knock on the skylight! so_sad I wonder how AS get around this. scratch head
CJ

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Looks like it hinges from around halfway on the "floor", covering the void behing the driver's head. This seems to allow the forward part of the cab to be used for storage. Anything to save carrying extra boards. I'll need to make a few measurements.

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CJ on Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:47 pm

This is a picture from an amethyst with an original bed over the cab. It seems they have just incorporated a piece of ply into the base of the cushion so it can just pull across. It maybe a different system in the factory over cab beds in yours but this is how I plan to do mine. Now I need to get my hands on some matching (or just the same colour if the worst comes to the worst) material. hugegrins As I said before it wont hinge down properly no matter where I position it. Keep me posted chinwag
CJ

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CJ on Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:37 pm

I heard from Autosleeper that they discontinued the fold-down design as they had people falling through the door! snigger
CJ

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ramblingon on Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:58 am

I revealed my little windows when I converted my 95 Clubman into a three/four birth- they look the same on the inside jet black plastic! so don't bother with them.

I edged the cab hole with Bullnose architrave painted grey to match the grey carpet that I stuck to the ply filler board.

I purchased a 4foot foam mattress took the cover off trimmed it to fit the space then replaced the cover and trimmed that to fit, I deliberately chose a narrow depth non memory foam because of the head room -I leave the mattress insitu at all times as a made up bed.
In transit this bed space is filled with- Two chairs, silver screens, wind blocker, breathable ground sheet, a dog blocker barrier(keeps my dogs in) and a table. When I pitch up this all goes outside or on the van or up front, then I use this Luton bed all the time as it is much more comfy than the main area, it is a real benefit to me and makes the inside of the van usable and uncluttered at all times.
Ramblingon
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Windows in cab.

Post by whisky on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:25 pm

Wow. Ramblingon you must be very fit and bendy to get into the luton to sleep every night. I salute you. Wouldn't work for me though its to far away from the loo. The names not the only reason I like a bevy or two. For you up there only one thing to say. Top Man.

Whisky. allthumbz
whisky

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CJ on Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:50 pm

Ramblingon wrote:I revealed my little windows when I converted my 95 Clubman into a three/four birth- they look the same on the inside jet black plastic! so don't bother with them.

From the outside it looks like there is a blackout film, did you remove the film or am I incorrect?

I have got my hands on some thin memory foam, it feels very comfy. allthumbz I am going to create a bed that is in 2 pieces so as to get a bit of headroom in the cab. I think I'll use ply and a bit of right angle for support and incorporate it into the fabric. I'll use a thin cover of foam underneath so as to avoid any bad head bumps! up!
CJ

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gordyjackson on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi guys,  I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread.   I have a 99 Amethyst and the top bunk is completely boarded out and carpeted.  I too want to make it a little more 'homely' up there and fit a reading light, change the square vent for a clear dome type, add a socket and USB charger and the icing on the cake being to expose the little window on the sides.   

I pulled off the carpet from one side and then managed to remove the thin ply sheet exposing the insulation and fibreglass shell.   Then I found a strip of plywood which I can only assume is  glued to the glass??  I gave it a fair tug but chickened out when I had visions of breaking the glass and being screwed so I've put it all back together for now.

Does anyone know what method they have used?  Is it glued,   an earlier post on here said it wasn't worth doing anyway as the glass is so tinted?
Anyone had any experience of this?
Many Thanks in advance
Gordon
gordyjackson

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CJ on Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:15 am

gordyjackson wrote:Then I found a strip of plywood which I can only assume is  glued to the glass??  I gave it a fair tug but chickened out when I had visions of breaking the glass and being screwed so I've put it all back together for now.
Hi gordyjackson, I've been in the process of doing all of this in stages over the past year or so, as the age of this thread suggests. 

Amazingly, that strip of plywood is actually screwed from the outside before they put the little window on. Seems crazy doesn't it? When we were doing it, we managed to pry the board away, pulling out the screws. Then you can cut them off, or fit a frame on the by drilling holes in the right places. I can appreciate that it sounds scary, and I do advise caution, but in my experience the fibreglass is strong enough to allow you to pull hard enough to get the screws out. They aren't massively chunky. By the way, when you do get it all off, then you have to remove the black paint they've put on the inside of the window, again it's not hard, but they make you work to get that extra light!!

As for fitting a reading light and USB charger, that's easy done, if you don't know already, there's 12v wires easily accessible. They come down the passenger side, in the very corner to the left of the little window. I'm sure you have probably spotted them already.

As for the new roof window, I'm not sure what your overcab bed is like, but if it has the fold up panel, be careful that the blackout blind that comes with the new clear dome doesn't obstruct it's operation. That's something I learned the hard way.

Keep us updated, and good luck!  up!
CJ

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gordyjackson on Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:27 am

Wow thats brilliant,  to be honest I had given up with the window idea and was actually going to fit a small TFT screen hooked up to a forward facing camera just so there was a connection to the outside but having read your post I might be brave and have another go now!.   I'll keep you posted!  As for the wiring, I didn't find any cables there but I did pick up a feed off the light above and ran a wire out to a couple of reading lamps which has done the trick so far....baby steps!!  
Cheers
gordyjackson

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gordyjackson on Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:29 pm

I was a brave lad and followed your advice today and so glad I did! The window is nearly done! Just waiting for the glue to harden on the little frame and then it's just the ply and fabric to put back. I've taken pictures as I went so I'll post them on here. So pleased to have a view of the outside world up there! Makes a huge difference to the space. Thanks again for the tip
gordyjackson

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CJ on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:53 pm

Fantastic, great to hear! good2  I'm looking forward to seeing photos. By any chance have you figured out what you're going to do for curtains? After much thought we carpeted perfectly sized cutouts and stuck them in at night. A curtain rail/blind seemed far too difficult to engineer so it would keep out all the light, and they're expensive too for a ~5cm slit.
CJ

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gordyjackson on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:02 am

Success at last and thanks again to the contributors of this forum as it gave me the confidence and knowledge to do this.  Here's a few 'blow by blow' photos of the job.   this little slot of light makes such a difference as it means your not shut off up there,   Ive bought a big double thick Thermarest type mattress and a safety net,  I've fitted a 12v reading light and the fluorescent one was already there.  next will be a socket with usb chargers and then ill look at a curtain.   

gordyjackson

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum