What do You use.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What do You use.

Post by micknhilary on Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:46 pm

Up until about 2 years ago we used a PC at home and a laptop when out and about. Then, through old age the PC died and we used the laptop for home and away. More recently  a Tab was acquired and became the machine of choice for the van - tethered  to our unlimited data iphone. We have now reached the point where the laptop is showing its age and will need to be replaced.
Because we are happy with using the Tab in the van we are faced with the choice of replacing the Laptop with another similar, or perhaps replacing it with a PC. It will probably only ever be used at home.
It boils down to the question of is a £350 PC a better buy than a £350 Laptop? Or is the flexability of a Laptop more important.
We would welcome your views or experience.
Thanks,

Mick.  allthumbz
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What do You use.

Post by boxerman on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:17 pm

I think you would get a higher spec desktop for £350 than you would a laptop for the same money.
As you say, the laptop is more flexible in that you can use it anywhere around the house where the desktop is fixed in one place.
Desktops are easier / cheaper to repair or upgrade.
You are not going to get a cutting edge machine of either category for £350, I had an email from HP a couple of days ago saying they were having a "factory sale", might be worth looking at what they are offering?

Sorry I cannot be of more help

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary on Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:36 pm

Thanks Frank.
At my age 'cutting edge' is no longer a concern. hugegrins
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:07 pm

You could always opt for a Google chrome book, very good by all accounts and cheap! http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en/chrome/devices/acer-c720-chromebook.html#ac-c720

I've got the iPad Air now which I use all the time, found my previous iPad mini restrictive with the smaller screen and the Air is a much better size especially for the forum. I hardly ever use my desktop computer or notebook these days as the iPad is always to hand, don't think I'd ever get another laptop myself as I really don't see the point anymore.

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Depends on personal preferences and what you are using the device for. I don't like touch screens, much prefer a keyboard & mouse.

As mem sec of our club, I do quite a bit of "typing". I also maintain the clubs website & forum. I would hate to try and do these jobs on a touch screen keyboard.

To each his own up! 

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:27 pm

Yes I agree frank, tablets have their limitations & I would always retain a desktop for office work, websites etc

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:02 pm

In the van now we use a Nexus7 (2012 model - not latest 2013) and find it very convenient size and power wise, including running our radio clubs site from there when away, do this via a 3Mifi router.

Used to use a netbook which is partly redundant now but the Laptop attached for data to my amateur radio equipment is getting old and has xp on so I guess the netbook (win7) will take over from that soon.
For my main PC it will remain as is a tower case as it has 3 HDDs in, Win 8.1, Win7 and Ubuntu which would not be possible on your average laptop

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Betty's Mum on Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:06 pm

I would also go for a desktop - Zoostorm have been doing some good spec machines at sensible prices - Ebuyer have some really good search filters to help you pick a machine by spec, brand and price.  

I have desktop and lappy.  I keep upgrading the desktop, but my lappy is now pretty ancient and I have already done the limited upgrades available to me.  It is now mostly used for internet browsing so when the time comes, I will replace the lappy with a tablet and keep upgrading the desktop. up! 
Betty's Mum

Female

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : VW T4 Trophy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:38 pm

Hi there,

Completely "Apple" despite the cost!

MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone and iPod; all backed up on the Apple iCloud system.

Got absolutely fed up with the Windows Vista system foisted on me when I bought a Toshiba Satellite in 2005 to replace my old Dell laptop (with Windows XP).

The first shock was when I discovered the £2,000 or so worth of Windows XP programmes that I had been using for years weren't compatible with the Windows Vista operating system.

Undeterred, I persevered for six years spending many hours every month either waiting whilst the Windows Vista system upgraded itself or recovered from a variety of crashes.  By this time the Toshiba would run for only about an hour without being plugged into the mains!

I upgraded to a MacBook Air in 2011 and I have no complaints.

Apart from the superior operability and longevity of battery life another benefit is that both the MacBook Air and the iPad easily fit into the safe under the passenger seat on "Petal" complete with all their chargers etc.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re-What do you use

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:18 pm

Ditto with Dutto
We have dumped our MESH p.c and other laptops for the same reason as Dutto, we have a new I-pad air and a I-pad2 with Logitech ultra thin keyboard linked via wifi.
We use a 3 mifi pay as you go sim when not using the clubs wifi  or on away days.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Many thanks to all who have given their views on this thread.Its given me much to consider.

Mick  up!
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:23 pm

If you are confident that it will only be used at home get a desktop BUT remember to budget for a flat screen monitor as well as the PC.  Whichever, it is worth going for an i3 processor.  Windows 8 is fast at booting up but many folk don't like the tablet-like interface.  With a laptop thi scan be a bonus if it has a touch screen.

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:37 am

inspiredron wrote:  Windows 8 is fast at booting up but many folk don't like the tablet-like interface.  With a laptop thi scan be a bonus if it has a touch screen.
I'm one of them - it's horrible! My grandson has a laptop with it on.
I've read that many companies have refused to accept it and are specifying 7 on their new machines, just as a while ago many refused to  "upgrade" to Vista and are still using XP.
When I bought my new Lenovo laptop, it came with 7 and if I wanted 8 they would send me an upgrade disc. (I would have preferred a downgrade to XP disc smile! )

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:58 am

Hi there,

I received this about two hours ago from friends in Glasgow:

"Roy has had a bad week, even before the family news today. He decided to instal Windows 8 on the pc to make it work better, it wasnt compatible so he inserted an HP recovery cd he found that took the pc back to 2002 when we bought it and has wiped everything all photos and files gone forever!

After a bun fight in John Lewis they gave him back the £100 for the Windows 8, he bought a new cartridge for the kodak printer and managed to jam it then flood it with black ink.

The living room is looking sparse and the spare room looks like a wrecking yard."

Personally, I back up via a Touro 1 Terabyte Hard Drive as well as via iCloud and two USB sticks at 16 gigabyte each.  This is probably OTT but ....... Whistle1 Whistle1 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:01 am

Windows 8 has been the biggest disaster to come out of Microsoft, it just wasn't needed as Windows 7 IMO didn't need an upgrade and is still the best OS they have made to date. 

Anyone using windows XP "still" either has an ancient machine or is too tight to upgrade! I was working on a system a few days ago with XP installed and it's just dinosaur material! Vista also has to be one of the worst OS's created by MS and I remember months waiting for drivers to become available just for basic hardware, with Windows 7 they got it right and it still is the dogs danglies hugegrins 

From what I'm seeing of Microsoft I believe they have lost their way and are in big trouble, Windows 8 hasn't helped here as it's been met with huge disappointment and ridicule, also their surface tablets have not been the success they hoped.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:34 am

CruizingComet wrote:
Anyone using windows XP "still" either has an ancient machine or is too tight to upgrade!
I still use XP on one of my desktop machines. It's stable and it does everything I want it to - why should I upgrade? to contribute to Bill Gates' retirement fund? smile! Mind you, I was quite happy with DOS content 
The other desktop runs on  Ubuntu Linux, I can upgrade that if and when for free! biggrin 

From what I'm seeing of Microsoft I believe they have lost their way and are in big trouble, Windows 8 hasn't helped here as it's been met with huge disappointment and ridicule, also their surface tablets have not been the success they hoped.
Totally agree here, they seem to want to alienate desktop users altogether. Windoze 8 Pro? that's a laugh, I said it before but it looks like something the kiddies play with at primary school.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:39 am

I still use XP on my back-up laptop. That only has a 12" screen so it's ideal to take in the van. I still prefer XP to the 7 I have on my main laptop. XP for me does what it says on the tin.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:04 pm

But XP has "End of life" in March 2014.  That means no more security updates so you may want to disconnect your XP machine from the internet!  Quite seriously, the toerags who write these viruses will exploit the hole that Microsoft are leaving their XP customers in because they know that more casual PC users will keep on using it and you carry on running XP at your own risk.
Personally I have just upgraded my PC to W8 and am very content - yes, it is different and I don't like a few features but it is so much faster than Vista (which was slow) or XP.  But there is a learning curve which won't suit everyone and it helps to know some of thestandard keyboard shortcut key combinations - particularly Alt-F4 to get out of some screens which lack the X in the top right corner!.

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:24 pm

inspiredron wrote:But XP has "End of life" in March 2014.  That means no more security updates so you may want to disconnect your XP machine from the internet!  Quite seriously, the toerags who write these viruses will exploit the hole that Microsoft are leaving their XP customers in because they know that more casual PC users will keep on using it and you carry on running XP at your own risk.
Microsoft have threatened "end of life for XP" before but were forced into submission by millions of commercial users who refused to update to Vista.
I've been using AVG antivirus for years and haven't had any issues, I'm sure that the many AV companies will fill any gaps left by Billy's crew.
I switched off the automatic updates years ago 'cos they just fill your disc up with carp. Have you ever looked into what some of these updates are for? I have, which is why I switched the auto update off. Do I really need an improved Arabic font for Excel? click on the link at the bottom of the update to see what it does, you might decide to go the manual route too content 

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: