Van security

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Van security

Post by Dutto on Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:57 am

werzmeshirt wrote:I cant start my new to me, Talbot motorhalk 94 model fitted with a demon alarm, everything was fine. she's been stood a month or so and the battery was flat, (2010 battery ) charged it up started ok next morn came to start no joy am sure its the demon immobilizer any idea's thank you Steve
Hi there,

If the voltage dropped below 10.4 volts the battery is probably damaged so for "….  any ideas?":

1.  Check battery.

2.  Get new battery if required.

3.  Get rid of OR disconnect things that flatten the battery OR fit a trickle solar-charger.

Hope this helps.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by werzmeshirt on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:51 pm

Thank you Duetto I had another go. starting with disconnection and reconnection via battery charger just to see where the gauge went, she gave a half hearted attempt to start. Nowt to do with immobilizer, had a look on the web to see how long a battery lasts, then seen your good advise, its time for a new one will get a meter aswell and learn a bit more thanks for your time and wisdom, bless you. All the best Steve
werzmeshirt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talbot motorhalk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:58 pm

Steve,

Many thanks for your kind remarks.  up! 

Just a quicky:

1.  NEVER let a standard lead-acid battery drop below 10.4 volts and it will last for many years.

2.  Try something like this on the dashboard, especially if you can get it facing south.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SOLAR-POWER-BATTERY-TRICKLE-CHARGER/dp/B002V9JEF0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391266524&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+charger

It keeps the battery topped up if there is little or no drain on it.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by werzmeshirt on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:22 pm

Will do Ian I have a friend who is more techy than me so will put your advise into practice, as you will have guessed am new but keen to learn thanks again  up! Steve
werzmeshirt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talbot motorhalk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:19 pm

We have 2 different types of tracker fitted to the van, one has a battery life of 12 months between recharges, the other has a battery life of about 10 days or so, but is permanently connected to the vans power supply. Both will give me a text message and one will also email me if the van is moved. We have a steering lock, deadlocks on the cab doors as standard, an immobiliser, a Cat security device and locking wheel nuts.
If all that fails, I have insurance!

Many years ago when Trackers were the new kids on the block and everyone wanted to steal your Lotus Carlton, Subaru Imprezza, Cossy and 24v Senator, I was a Traffic Officer with West Mids Police. Virtually every tracker activation resulted in finding the vehicle with very little or no damage, much to the insurance companies pleasure. 
The problem is now that most GPS trackers can be jammed using easily available devices, and of course they are useless inside a steel framed building, underground or in a shipping container. 
The best thing you can do to stop your vehicle being stolen is to keep it as secure as possible and don't leave the keys on the hook behind the front door at home.

Allan
ajrm

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:40 pm

Those side windows are expensive, I had two new ones last October over £600 without the fitting, done under warranty I am pleased to say.

My MH came with am alarm all ready fitted, also has motion sensor for inside, if any one moves about, have to remember to switch that off when in it, by mistake it has gone off a couple of times, it would wake the dead, I haven`t got any more security devises, it is used every day, it would take me ages just to get off the drive, then park up set all the security in place, go shopping then get in again, eventually, no thank you, will take my chance, I am careful where I park it, have put a ladder guard on the rear ladder , when I am out in MH my dog is in there anyway, burglars do not like dogs. best deterrent there is. when on drive there are three dogs in the house and they don`t miss anything.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:50 pm

Have a tracker on the caravan, I forgot a couple of times and tried to get in, alarm went off switched  it off got what I went in for and reset alarm, a few minutes later got a telephone call, as the alarm goes through to an alarm centre, they check with us first if it goes off, that is reassuring.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:05 pm

Hi there,

Just realised that I have already commented on this Thread a couple of times!  (Old age is preferable to the alternative; but the memory sure as heck gets a bit of a problem!)

Not to worry.  I still think this is the best modification I have made to "Petal".

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:14 pm

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

Just realised that I have already commented on this Thread a couple of times!  (Old age is preferable to the alternative; but the memory sure as heck gets a bit of a problem!)

drinksallround
Don't worry, I have done that a few times too.....

Allan
ajrm

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None now

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:50 am

On my old Transit, which had NO alarm, ecu, security etc, & to start & stop the engine was by the fuel-solenoid switch on the fuel-pump (ign key controlled)
SO, I Cut the feed wire under the dash & installed a well hidden switch, & to stop the tea leaves from 'hotwiring' the pump, I fabricated a metal cover over the pump held with torx bolts, sure, it COULD still be nicked, but it would take quite a while to sus it out. smile! 

On another, I fabricated a 10mm flat-bar which was bolted to the gearbox, this came up & into the cab alongside the gear lever, this JUST cleared the lever when it was fully 'over' for when driving, when parked, it was put into gear with the lever near to the bar & a high-security padlock was fitted through a hole in the bar & around the bar. This 'bar' was painted black, & not really noticeable .
On yet another, I padlocked the handbrake lever.
Who needs fancy elektrickery  hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:54 pm

modelman wrote:………………..

Who needs fancy elektrickery  hugegrins
  up!  up!  up!  up! 

Totally agree.  Make it really, really difficult at minimum cost!!  allthumbz  allthumbz 

drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum