My Bedford CF AutoSleeper

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bedford cf

Post by cheesy bedfordcf on Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:42 pm

well done where did the seats come from . bought a cf2 last wk end lots to do you have given me ideas thanks keep up the good work up!
cheesy bedfordcf

Male

Auto-Sleeper : bedford cf2
Vehicle Year : 1982

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My Bedford CF AutoSleeper

Post by tajmall on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:23 pm

Thanks for a fabulous post - I have just bought the same model and this will come in very handy when I start work on it :-)
tajmall

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Bedford CF
Vehicle Year : 1983

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tajmall on Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Hi Roo, I've started work on my Bedford and my plan for now is just to clean up a bit (and repair the water damage in the kitchen area) and getting new covers for seats but I am having trouble getting the back seat panel (under the window) off. I can only see 4 screws, 2 at each end top and bottom but the panel isn't budging!! Will I have to take the whole seat frame out to get to this or is there something I haven't spotted?
  This is my first van and first project like this so any advice would be most welcome :-) And thanks again for all of the information you already have on here.
Tracey
tajmall

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:55 pm

Super restoration -well done! Great to see a CF restored back to its true glory!
Little CF story...
Fond memory of driving a CF van back in early 70's, pulled up at some traffic lights near Gatwick and a red MG midget pulled alongside, flash guy with the obligatory blonde he was going to impress with a rocket ship take off.
Green light and floored the CF, it left the midget standing, you should have seen his face and blondie laughing her socks off, of course once we reached 30 he was gone but boy could that van accelerate from rest. I loved that van. Sorry to the Caledonian Airways passengers whose meals may have been a little displaced on the plate from where Chef had put them. hugegrins
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:09 pm

Fabulous postings, only just seen the photos of the restoration projects, wish I had your skills and dedication.
Like groundhog, we had a Bedford CF,ours was a Dormobile van ,it had a Vauxhall ventora 2.3 petrol engine with overdrive, went like a train up the rest and be thankful .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:21 pm

Back in the 1980's, when I was a fit young un in early 40's, I had this CI Bedford Bedouin, on a cf, that needed a new heavy duty clutch plate and ball race fitting......did it all by myself, with a few bars and pulleys. I remember vividly just how much that gearbox weighed, after getting underneath it to push it up a bit to align it all....I was lucky, when I think of it now, as it all have gone horribly wrong, especially if the box had slipped on its straps or pulleys, with me under it. I don't know, we do some scary things in life when we think wer'e invincible..Whistle1
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:23 pm

logburner wrote:Back in the 1980's, when I was a fit young un in early 40's, I had this CI Bedford Bedouin, on a cf, that needed a new heavy duty clutch plate and ball race fitting......did it all by myself, with a few bars and pulleys. I remember vividly just how much that gearbox weighed, after getting underneath it to push it up a bit to align it all....I was lucky, when I think of it now, as it all have gone horribly wrong, especially if the box had slipped on its straps or pulleys, with me under it. I don't know, we do some scary things in life when we think wer'e invincible..Whistle1
Super market delivery base trolleys were ideal for moving engines or gearboxes around ,nice and strong and at an ideal height.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:02 am

Did the van have the same 'upside down' gearbox as the Victor, with most of the gearchange mechanism on the outside?
[it was a lot lighter if you fitted the bellhousing seperately]

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:55 pm

No, it was all in one piece....great lump it was...but needs must, had to be done, slipping so much it would hardly move.  shrugg   Can't remember the vehicle year, but it was a horrible khaki colour... never did get round to changing it.  Van ran well, and nice to camp in, with rear doorway... very useful for shopping, ladders, removals, and supermarket car parks. topmarks

Last edited by logburner on Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : more info to add)
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:23 pm

tajmall wrote:Hi Roo, I've started work on my Bedford and my plan for now is just to clean up a bit (and repair the water damage in the kitchen area) and getting new covers for seats but I am having trouble getting the back seat panel (under the window) off. I can only see 4 screws, 2 at each end top and bottom but the panel isn't budging!! Will I have to take the whole seat frame out to get to this or is there something I haven't spotted?
  This is my first van and first project like this so any advice would be most welcome :-) And thanks again for all of the information you already have on here.
Tracey

Hi Tracey, 

Thanks for you comments I'm glad the thread has been helpful. If I remember rightly, that seat panel is also held on by the screws on the outside at the bottom of the window. It was a while ago when I re-fitted mine (and a while since i did anything to the CF in general, I must get back to that!) so i'm struggling to fully remember. 
I'll take a look tonight and respond accordingly. 
Good luck with your Moho! I believe you've also posted on my AS CF Facebook page. :)
Roo

Male

Auto-Sleeper : SV100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tajmall on Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:41 pm

Sorry just seen your reply - lost my link to this forum :-) Thanks for that I will have a look tomorrow. At the moment I am just cleaning mine up - no where near like the fab restoration you have done !! Unfortunately I have not been able to work since I bought it and still not managed to get it started - think there's a problem with the pump and my brother ( who is doing the work on engine) has refused to touch it lol so now trying to find a mechanic in my area. And yes - I am also on your facebook page trying to get help :-)
tajmall

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gareth david jones on Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:59 pm

How did you find the above head cupboards were fitted? I had a quick look the other day on mine but couldn't find any fixing points, I have started the other way round and started refitting the bed and doing work on the cab first as the rust was so bad on roof of cab it needed immediate attention. Thanks ☺
gareth david jones

Male

Auto-Sleeper : bedford cf1 facelift
Vehicle Year : 1981

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:45 pm

gareth david jones wrote:How did you find the above head cupboards were fitted? I had a quick look the other day on mine but couldn't find any fixing points, I have started the other way round and started refitting the bed and doing work on the cab first as the rust was so bad on roof of cab it needed immediate attention. Thanks ☺
Hi and welcome to the forum from Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tajmall on Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:03 am

Hi Gareth and welcome - I'm new also but from what I have read the interior was fitted before the outside shell was put on, making the cupboards difficult to remove. If they are in good condition and you are removing them to replace the ceiling then there are screws inside, just above the hinges, which can be removed to allow the cupboard front to drop a couple of inches so you can slide the ply in and then re-fix. I read this on a Bedford forum somewhere but can't find it at the moment :-) If you want them out completely then I am sure there will be someone on here can help !!
Tracey
tajmall

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:14 pm

gareth david jones wrote:How did you find the above head cupboards were fitted? I had a quick look the other day on mine but couldn't find any fixing points, I have started the other way round and started refitting the bed and doing work on the cab first as the rust was so bad on roof of cab it needed immediate attention. Thanks ☺️

Hi Gareth, 

My overhead cupboards are screwed in to the wooden rails running from front to back. Along with these fixings they were screwed in to the side panels (wardrobe, toilet panel etc.) As mine had been so butchered i'm not sure what was original. What i do know wasn't original however is that the screws that went through the cupboards, wooden rails and out of the roof by about 1.5" wasn't original!  dont_mentionIt
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Thank you all for the renewed interest in my SV100. I really do need to get back on to it (and also update the thread to where I got to last time I worked on it.) 
I'm currently restoring my Morris Minor so the CF has taken a back seat for now. When the weather is better it will see some more action with the welder. :)
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Here's where I got to from my last post:

Some more bodgery

Seat boxes! These were quite rotten at the mounts so I set about repairing them

Once welded and painted, I looked at recovering them to original spec. 

Next up I decided to repair the drive-away awning. Most of the sprung loaded poles had stretched or broken as I had some old sprung loaded type poles available, I converted the springs to button type. 

On to the steps, the rusty badly repaired steps...

Thats it for now! :)
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:38 pm

I'm tired just looking at your photos Roo, brilliant work ,dying to see the finished project .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:44 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:I'm tired just looking at your photos Roo, brilliant work ,dying to see the finished project .
Boaby

Thanks, getting there slowly! 
It is comments like these that help keep the motivation going. I have a couple of weeks intense Morris Minor-ing coming up leading to its MOT and then I should look at the CF and formulate a plan. :)
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:03 pm

I used to be able to get under my old VW vans and Bedford CF , my welding skills weren't the best in the world ,however held the metal together.
Its nice to see the old vans getting re-born so to speak and not rot away, a couple of the forum members restore motorbikes too , wish I had the patience .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maiana on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:24 am

Hi All

First post on the forum (I'll head over to the welcome section next!).

We are about to purchase our first camper and after being under the impression it was a Clubman I have now ascertained it is in fact an SV100 on a VW T4 Chassis (1994 Reg)! So this post is really helpful as the interior is needing quite a bit of work required however I can't view the pics in this thread. Can anyone advise me why I can't see the pics posted in this message?

Thanks for any help!

Maiana allthumbz
Maiana

Male

Vehicle Year : 1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:32 am

Sadly, Photobucket have decided to remove their free hosting option, thus destroying millions of forum threads such as this one. When I get some time I will attempt to migrate the images to another host and re edit the links here if i can. 

More info here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40492668
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maiana on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:39 am

Thanks Roo! Any help greatly appreciated.
Maiana

Male

Vehicle Year : 1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Note that if Roo still has his images on Photobucket and the links you see show their "ransomware" image, you should still be able to see them by clicking on the ransomware image - this should take you to the original photos on PB's site. It's tedious but it ~should~ work (unless like me you have blocked all of PB's images in your browser - in which case it won't!).
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:41 pm

As many of you are aware, PhotoBucket have turned in to Photo*ucket in my opinion and ruined literally hundreds and thousands of forums. Including my thread on here. In a bid to solve this I have added all of the pictures on to Flickr in an album. Now, if I have done this correctly, you should be able to navigate there and see them. Please let me know if this isnt the case. 
I know its not an ideal solution but its the best I can think of right now as I can't edit any of my previous posts. 

>>>>  Flickr Bedford CF  <<<<
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum