My Bedford CF AutoSleeper

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: My Bedford CF AutoSleeper

Post by Roo on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:43 pm

Time for an update.  smile! 

On the weekend of 12/13th July I attended the VBOA at Billing Aquadrome. A great event for any Vauxhall and Bedford enthusiast. My First time 12 volting too.

My MH was very well received and many complemented me on the interior work I've carried out so far. I must be doing something right!

I also bought these. Far more in period for the MH. As comfortable as the Ford Recaros are, these will just look so much more at home. (They will be repaired)

So, onto the next phase of restoration.
Over the last month a leak had developed in the living area vent. I knew the ceiling needed work but had planned to do this in the winter. The leak brought that forward a few months.
So, the (non original) carpet was removed and the task of removing the ceiling plyboard and assessing the repairs required begun.

**More bodges alert!**
Carpet off:

Storage units removed (N/S)

Water ingress: (about 15 years worth lol)

Ceiling removed:

Kitchen panel removed:

The ceiling remains:

and finally, a video of the wooden supports, well, what's left of them. These are encapsulated in fibre glass. Should be an interesting repair.
Roo

Male

Member Age : 39
Auto-Sleeper : SV100

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:54 pm

You deserve a medal for bravery.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:15 pm

So, Yesterday this arrived.  smile! 
I thought I didn't have enough to do with the CF so bought an engine to replace the (very tired) one that's currently in there.

Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:09 pm

What is it? Opel cam in head? I thought that you would have had the Vauxhall slant 4 2300 which weren't exactly lacking in grunt.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:12 pm

boxerman wrote:What is it? Opel cam in head? I thought that you would have had the Vauxhall slant 4 2300 which weren't exactly lacking in grunt.

Frank

This is the 2.0L GM Petrol engine from a late CF2.
C/W the 5 speed ZF 5 Speed gearbox. It came up on Ebay, was complete with all ancillaries and local to me. Coupled with the fact he would deliver in the overall price. Power is similar to the 2.3L not that I'm fussed.
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:27 pm

So,

A little update.

The offending article!

As you can see, its been messed about with over the years. I've since discovered these aren't the original roof lights but as they have opened out the hole in the roof, they will stay.
First job was to remove it.

It had been sealed with filler, chemical metal and silicone sealer.  rolleyes 

Cleaned up:

Prepped for fibreglassing

First layer down. This is purely to add strength to the roof line due to the extra screw holes and cracked corners.

This is as far as I have got. Next step is to reintroduce the wooden supports. But for now he looks like this:
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

SV100?

Post by DavieS on Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:00 pm

Hi Roo.
Interesting reading thru your project. At the start you asked if yours is an SV100. It is. I have one as well, identical layout except that I don't have the longitudinal seat between the table and the window on the O/S. The other later version of this van was the Clubman. Obvious differences are; wardrobe with heater under on O/S ahead of the shower, longitudinal seating on both the O/S and N/S and a centre table dinette and the fridge vents outside the van on the Clubman (ours vent inside the van, not ideal for refrigeration efficiency). The roof vents on your van are identical to mine and look the same as the ones in the pictures in Martin Watts excellent book Bedford Camper Vans and Motorhomes, The Inside Story.
DavieS

Male

Member Age : 56

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Wed Sep 24, 2014 4:58 pm

DavieS wrote:Hi Roo.
Interesting reading thru your project. At the start you asked if yours is an SV100. It is. I have one as well, identical layout except that I don't have the longitudinal seat between the table and the window on the O/S. The other later version of this van was the Clubman. Obvious differences are; wardrobe with heater under on O/S ahead of the shower, longitudinal seating on both the O/S and N/S and a centre table dinette and the fridge vents outside the van on the Clubman (ours vent inside the van, not ideal for refrigeration efficiency). The roof vents on your van are identical to mine and look the same as the ones in the pictures in Martin Watts excellent book Bedford Camper Vans and Motorhomes, The Inside Story.

Hi DavieS,

Thanks for your reply. Have you got any pictures of your SV100? I'd be really keen to see them if you have.
I really need to get cracking on mine again but finding the correct (or as close as I can get) ceiling paper is proving very difficult.
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Pics of my Van

Post by DavieS on Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:46 am

Hi Roo.

As requested, here are some pics of my van;         

" />

"               />           "    /                              >"
"

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

Setting up the bed. Strangely the table top doesn't fit between the seat bases so the van came with these three boards.

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

Some views of the roof vents

" />

" />

" />

And finally you might be interested in this pic of my leisure battery fitted under the N/S/F seat. The van came with just the engine battery providing all the power, allbeit from a huge truck battery. Better now I know i can always get the engine started if we've used too much power. I intend to upgrade the electrical system to a more modern control panel set up in the future.

" />    

/> />
DavieS

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:56 pm

Superb pictures, thanks for posting!

I'm really really struggling to find a replacement ceiling covering. Everything I find is just too modern looking.
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DavieS on Fri Oct 03, 2014 10:14 am

Hi Roo.

Glad you like the pics. Sadly I don't have an answer to your roof covering problem, it's not something I've thought about to be honest. I'm not looking to do an original restoration of my van, just tidy her up and use her as much as possible. I don't have the time to do a major rebuild just now but then again my van is pretty sound anyway (passed MOT last month with no advisories). I had to replace some of the cab floor on the N/S last year and I need to pay some attention to the front wheelarches this year. The chassis is in excellent nick for a 30 year old (wish I could say the same for me). My plans are for a good clean up and polish of the body ( I hate the state of that roof), tackle some rust issues around the cab, and sort an annoying oil leak from the rocker cover. I've had the van 2 years now and I,ve done several trips in her including a 1500 mile 2 week tour of the south coast from Scotland with no problems. She has 88k on the clock and pulls like a train returning 27mpg on the long runs. I keep her around 50mph when touring. I've had several owners of more modern vans comment favourably
on her.
DavieS

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:06 pm

A minor update. Managed to get some time on the MH this weekend.
My second table is nearly done. (the original is missing and is required for the seating and bed layout) having purchased the Fiamma table bracket and leg.

Just needs to be laminated now:

I then moved on to refurbishing the N/S cupboards. Very rotten!

New end panel made:

New back panels.

That's it for now, until my replacement wood effect vinyl arrives I cant do anymore.
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Fascinating read Roo you must be very talented tackling such a mega restoration project. Good luck in your search for a suitable ceiling finish. I look forward to your further updates.
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:59 pm

Thanks for your kind words. smile!
the ceiling finish is causing me a real headache at the moment. Really holding me back.

I've just created a Facebook page for anyone that's interested too. Covering all aspects of the CF Auto-Sleeper.
Its below my signature. smile!
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 on Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Roo
Just wondered how the project was going. Look forward to seeing some more pics!
moggyminor1966

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:30 pm

Me too, brilliant job by the way, look forward to updates.

Regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:15 pm

Thanks for your comments. :)
How time flies!
I have not done any more to the MH for a while now but I am booked to go to France in May so updates will follow soon I promise.

Current status:
MH has no ceiling panels
Roof vent opening has been fibre-glassed/repaired
Overhead cupboards removed/part repaired
Original wall and faux wood samples sent out to researchers
Engine swap planned March '15

So plenty planned and I see March as the turning point for restarting the work.
Thanks for commenting, its nice to know my work is being read and appreciated!
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougrdf on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:43 pm

What a great job, well done!

Out of interest, what will you be doing to the replacement engine, will you be stripping it down to rebuild it or just clean and fit it? If you don't really know its state, would it be worth seeing if you could run it and do a compression test beforehand, to check its general health? winks
Dougrdf
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile http://www.classicpinballs.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:52 pm

Dougrdf wrote:What a great job, well done!

Out of interest, what will you be doing to the replacement engine, will you be stripping it down to rebuild it or just clean and fit it? If you don't really know its state, would it be worth seeing if you could run it and do a compression test beforehand, to check its general health? winks

Thanks!

The replacement engine will be getting split from the gearbox to have a new clutch fitted. As well as that, I'll be changing the serviceable items and performing a compression check. :)
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dougrdf on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:58 pm

Sounds good. Remember to replace the spigot bearing [often overlooked!] in the flywheel [you probably knew that anyway though]

And I'm pleased you will be doing the compression test beforehand. I've seen so many people fit supposedly 'good' engines to then find they are worse than the one that came out of the van
[ my former van was an '86  V.WT3 and the owners club had horror stories about this sort of thing almost daily. Good engines when well maintained [Petrol ones] but a nightmare if bodged as they could easily overheat and give all sorts of problems]so_sad

Good luck with the work allthumbz
Dougrdf
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:27 pm

Just read this thread from start to finish, I admire your dedication to maintaining original details and quality of work. The guy we bought our beloved Bertha from was something of an enthusiast for maintaining and repairing the van to original standards where possible. He had a classic car restorer deal with the bodywork to a very high standard, hence our van is not your average rusty 20 year old ford. Wish i could still do things myself, i was into doing things myself before my arthritus got the better of me. i did a couple of VW van conversions in the 80s but since then sadly gave up on vehicle repairs and so on. Partly as not since had anywhere to do things on vehicles except the roadside. Anyway I have really enjoyed reading about your restoration, hope you find a suitable headlining soon.  Will keep an eye on this thread..Good stuff!  allthumbz
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 59
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Thu Apr 23, 2015 2:31 pm

Well, where do I start?
Its been quite a while since my last update so this will be a bit of a screen dump of all that's gone on since I was last here. In no particular order. smile!
Second layer on to the vent opening:

A couple of items from ebay.

This should help me round the UK!

Area prepped for wood cutting and fibreglassing

Engine out.

Subframe and rot. so_sad

Subframe cleaned

It was at this point I discovered my subframe was the wrong one...

So out it came.

New subframe purchased and stripped down

Back to the inside, I have fitted all the wood and started the long and dull task of fibreglassing.

That's it for now, tonights job is to strip the old subframe and start transferring components over to the new one.
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:33 pm

smile! Well done Roo looks like a mammoth task reminds me of when I put a new rear subframe on a Mini Pickup I used to get around with in my teens!! Cannot wait till the next update...
moggyminor1966

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Happer eater maps

Post by Dougrdf on Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:01 pm

Roo wrote:Well, where do I start?
Its been quite a while since my last update so this will be a bit of a screen dump of all that's gone on since I was last here. In no particular order. smile!
Second layer on to the vent opening:

A couple of items from ebay.

This should help me round the UK!

Area prepped for wood cutting and fibreglassing

Engine out.

Subframe and rot. so_sad

Subframe cleaned

It was at this point I discovered my subframe was the wrong one...

So out it came.

New subframe purchased and stripped down

Back to the inside, I have fitted all the wood and started the long and dull task of fibreglassing.

That's it for now, tonights job is to strip the old subframe and start transferring components over to the new one.

Blimey, it's a very long time since I saw a Happy Eater road map  happyyes   My wife navigated us to the South of France on the late 80's with a European version of that. She reckons we still have it too, up in the loft somewhere! up!
Dougrdf
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roo on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:54 pm

Another update, albeit quite random again... also, apologies for the poor picture quality on some of the shots. My phone camera was on its last legs. My new phone has resolved that issue.

New versus old:

New subframe stripped and cleaned:

Fitted:

The moment of truth:

It fits!

I then had to look at the wiring and go back to the petrol layout it was originally sold as. This was both time consuming and frustrating referring back to the workshop manual on several occasions as well as the CF facebook pages for help. I also had to contend with wiring like this:

My only guess is some of the wires had been used to fabricate a glow plug loom. Resulting in those wires amalgamating with each other and those wires around them. I have had to open up the entire engine loom to remove the wires and make good again.
With it all connected the battery was refitted and with his newly flushed out and refitted tank (along with new fuel lines front to back) he fired. :) Next stop is the exhaust.
This has proved to be very difficult to source so in the end, I have had (as a present :) ) bought a full stainless system. That's part fitted at the moment. I have had to remove the manifold to drill out two sheared bolts. once they are done I can fit the rest of the system.
Roo

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum