Canterbury Park and Ride (Dover Road)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Canterbury Park and Ride (Dover Road)

Post by micknhilary on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:40 am

Hi,
I am a regular user of the C & CC Site in Canterbury. However, I noticed in a previous posting that it is possible to overnight in the above P & R Site.  Could anyone who has done this please give a little more information. i.e. any restrictions,  problems and costs.
Many Thanks,

Mick  wave

Last edited by micknhilary on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:50 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Canterbury Park and Ride (Dover Road)

Post by Dago on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:48 pm

Hi Mick,

We have stayed there quite often, as it's only £3 for a 24 hour stay. This includes bus travel into Canterbury for as many times as you want during your stay,on the park n ride service. 

Entry to the car parking area can be done at any time and you collect your ticket as you pass through the entry barriers. On a Sunday entry is closed, but you can depart without problem.

Immediately on your left is the entry into the motorhome only parking area. There is a dumping point for all waste products and also a water filling tap, but this is used for the toilet rinsing as well, so make sure no drinking water containers come in contact with the hose or tap!!
Buses stop running at 8pm, so alternative travel back from the City is then needed after that.

There is a pub, opposite the roundabout on New Dover Road and is only a couple of mins walk across the carpark.  

When you go, you use your ticket to pay for the fee ( 1 minute over the 24 hours and it's another £3) You can only stay for a 48 hour duration.

I think there is about 12-13 parking bays, but look on the Canterbury Park n Ride website to verify this.

Hopefully other will come on here and add their comments as well. We certainly enjoy our stays there, as we also use our bikes to ride the local cycle routes available, as well as enjoying the City.

Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile http://www.akrovalve.com

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:46 pm

Hi Dago.
Many Thanks for your comprehensive reply.
If you wish to stay there for 48 hours in one continuous visit, what actions do you need to take. i.e. do you pay for the first 24 hours then obtain a second ticket?
My best scenario would be to say arrive at 1200 on Day 1 and depart at 1159 on Day 3.

Regards,
Mick.
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago on Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi Mick,

No, you just pay for your ticket and they will charge you for £6, any time between 24 hours and 1minute up to 48 hours. We have never stayed longer than maybe 40 hours, so maybe after 48 hours they send in the
"boys".hugegrins 

You could always depart before the 48 hour time limit, then drive round the roundabout and back in again, collecting a new ticket as you go through the barrier, ready for another 24 hours or so.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

View user profile http://www.akrovalve.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Bobskate on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:04 pm

With this being an old thread not sure if you have to start a new one but decided not to. We have just come back from Canterbury and cannot sing the praises of this facility enough. In theory you are limited to 48 hrs  but the guy in the office said at this time of the year, when it's not too busy, they are a bit more elastic. You could have been forgiven for thinking you were in a French Aire. Space for I guess 25 vans (only half full at the time of my visit). All neatly parked in two rows. 20ft rule what 20ft rule?  All very sociable so you can exchange a few pleasantries with your neighbours. French on one side German on the other. But best of all was the bus service into Canterbury. Buses every 7/8 mins and once you were in Canterbury  there are connections to many destinations around Kent. I wrote to the council thanking them, and pointing out that I left my parking spot clean and tidy, and spent money in the town!!
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum