Wet carpets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wet carpets

Post by Lilymo on Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:38 pm

Our 1995 Amethyst was wet carpet between the long bench seat and rear facing double seat in the middle passageway just behind the cab . It's about 6 to 8 inches long. An odd place for water. I have checked the locker where the water pump is and it's dry.  Anyone any ideas ? confused3
Lilymo

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Wet carpets

Post by Peter Brown on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:05 pm

As well as checking all the plumbing for leaks, check your window seals. The water can run down the inside of the monocoque to the floor. If you take the trim panels off under the windows you will see if the insulation is wet.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:17 pm

Is it near the area where the water fill point on the outside comes into the van - quite a common problem on Execs and Talisman vans

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilymo on Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:52 pm

No it's the opposite side from the water fill Roger.
Peter the wet bit is in the centre of the van the seating is on both sides of it. Funnily enough we had water on the window seal around the lock handle. It seemed to be running down  from the top of the window seal to the bottom. But not down the wall .
Lilymo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:37 am

OK that was another fault on some monocoques, when built the seal round the large side window frames was not wide enough,  they went back to the service centre who whipped the windows out,   put more sealer in and the problem was resolved.    If this is the case watch your curtains ad they could get stained by the water.

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wet Carpets in Amethyst

Post by immobilejim on Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:39 am

As a fellow Amethyst owner, it strikes me that the wet patch is directly below the middle roof vent. Have you checked for leaks around the overhead vent(s) ?
immobilejim
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilymo on Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:38 am

immobilejim wrote:As a fellow Amethyst owner, it strikes me that the wet patch is directly below the middle roof vent. Have you checked for leaks around the overhead vent(s) ?
Though about this . It's not below the roof vent it's directly in line with the leg on the pull out long bench nearest the cab. Below the electric socket  and down towards the centre of the drawer . That's about as clear as I can make the position lol . Any ideas ?
Lilymo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Wet Carpets in Amethyst

Post by immobilejim on Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:15 pm

Now I'm baffled. Our Amethyst is year 2000, we don't have any electrics (or drawers) up near the cab end. 
We had a wet patch on the upholstery at the fridge end of the long bench some months ago, reckoned it was due to tired window sealant. Have just had it re-sealed all round but haven't had any rain ingress in the few months since discovering the wet (despite some heavy rain), so all very strange ............................. 
Hope you find a solution soon.
Good luck, Jim
immobilejim
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilymo on Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:01 pm

immobilejim wrote:Now I'm baffled. Our Amethyst is year 2000, we don't have any electrics (or drawers) up near the cab end. 
We had a wet patch on the upholstery at the fridge end of the long bench some months ago, reckoned it was due to tired window sealant. Have just had it re-sealed all round but haven't had any rain ingress in the few months since discovering the wet (despite some heavy rain), so all very strange ............................. 
Hope you find a solution soon.
Good luck, Jim
Do you have drawers under the long bench seat ? We have two. One wider than the other. The one nearest the cab is wider. It's this drawer I'm referring to. Do you have an over cab bed  ? The Amethyst was originally made as a 2 berth but with the option of having as over cab bed instead of storage. Just wondered if this is why they are slightly different.  Just noticed the water is running down the carpet to the back of the passenger seat and puddling there. It's such a random place to have water.
Lilymo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump on Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi,

Check the top of the windows.              I had a leak which appeared as a wet patch between the seats a couple of years ago.         I traced it to water getting in via the top of the window as A/S had scrimped on the amount of sealer used on construction and left small channels where the rainwater collected". 

I went round all of the windows with sealer particularly the top areas, and it has been fine since.

Incidentally my van is also 1995 , so could be an age thing.

Cheers

Andy up!

andygump

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilymo on Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:28 am

Have booked it in to the dealers on Wednesday. Will wait to see what they come up with.
Lilymo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilymo on Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Took the van back to the dealer today. They reckon the pipes to the water heater are leaking so it's back in the workshop.......again
Lilymo

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:02 pm

It's fairly unusual for the pipes/connections to start leaking of their own accord, as they are typically a really tight fit. What does often happen on water heaters that old is that the plastic spigot splits - they get very brittle with age. IIRC the originals can be replaced with ones of a slightly different plastic which stays more flexible, and they should be less than a tenner each. Hopefully that's all it is and it will be an easy repair...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sid dawson on Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi if the water heater is carver check that it is not leaking at the element seal or the body chamber seals (these are neoprene o rings and a small gasket on the element )  I quote " he said he needed an element it was ruined by sediment ,he did,nt  know what the hell he meant but that's what he said he meant " I make no apologies for that
sid dawson

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

1995 Amethyst

Post by 1Oll on Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:11 pm

My 1995 Amethyst had a similar problem. I thought mine was from the water system but I found after cutting some large 4inch holes under the seats(over the drawers).  These holes can't be seen and give extra ventilation. Held my iPhone in the hole and panned around with the video filming and found the leak was from the large side windows. I've used this technique many times to view behind inaccessible places. It's takes best part of a day to remove both windows and reseal.  Mine appeared to have been very poorly fitted. I was told that Autosleeper used tape to seal the windows together with clips screwed into the wooden reinforcing strips. Some clips were also missing. There were no holes in the wood where they should have been so they probably weren't fitted originally. I had the windows removed and resealed with a Sikaflex equivalent sealant, together with some new clips, by a professional, but I helped to remove all the grot around the windows and surrounds. Don't  give up on your Amethyst. They have one of the toughest bodies on the market and they should outlast all others, given care. A dealer I know said "Don't sell it it will give at least another 20 years of good service".
We had ours reupholstered, solar panels and auto satellite dish,  plus all the other requirements such as extra batteries, new water heater, cambelt etc.. Every single thing works correctly. Can't wait for the new year.  Have a friend with a much newer German manufactured vehicle. He's had problems with damp and rotten wood.  

B.
1Oll

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1995 Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fixed at leaky window frame myself!!!

Post by gordyjackson on Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:34 pm

If it's any help.  I have a 1999 Amethys and noticed wet carpet underneath the long bench seat.   After working out that it wasn't one of the kids spilling a drink I discovered that it was the large window frame and how it was sealed to the fibreglass shell.   I gouged out all the silicone that I could and dried it overnight and then re-sealed with Sikaflex .   I did a nice neat job by using masking tape and then tooling it in with a water and fairy liquid and (and my finger!) and I can say that problem is fully resolved.   My advice is that even if a window frame looks ...(okay)... start there first as they are pretty easy to seal and the most likely source of any leak on these types of motorhomes,.     One of the main reason that I chose the Amethyst was this monococque construction.
gordyjackson

Male

Member Age : 48
Vehicle Year : 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:36 am

Hi and welcome to the forum from sunny Bridlington 
Boaby
burlingtonboaby