The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reversing camera and or sensors?

+4
Peter Brown
Shubberdog
roli
Viszy
8 posters

Go down

Reversing camera and or sensors? Empty Reversing camera and or sensors?

Post by Viszy Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:15 pm

Hi
Being new to motorhoming and to this forum, I hope this request works!

I have purchased a 2007 Nuevo that has a bike carrier fitted but no reversing aid. I am trying to decide which will be my best option - twin camera (but would the bike rack get in way of ground view) , single lower view camera or lower camera with sensors?
Any help, advice or suggestions gratefully received.  Thanks
Viszy

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Reversing camera and or sensors? Empty Re: Reversing camera and or sensors?

Post by roli Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:24 pm

There are some systems on the market which fit in the rear number plate area and give different warning sounds for different distances if you understand what I mean and funnily enough I have the other pc is on at the moment looking for the same for our van.   I will go the wireless route as there are enough cables running under our van smile!

There are quite a few options on Amazon
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi, I had a twin camera reversing system fitted at the Peterborough show and I very pleased with it, the bike rack does not in the way, the only problem we have had is that it it is a sunny day you can get reflections on the monitor, we get over this by closing the blinds behind the front seats, the monitor is the type that clips over the mirror.
Shubberdog
Shubberdog

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman+Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:59 pm

I think the mirror monitors are the way to go too for us.   
You show 2 vans in your profile, which did you have the gear fitted to and is it cabled or wireless ?
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:33 pm

I had sensors fitted to my Wilton when new. The beeper was so far away at the back that I couldn't hear it but a distance indicator mounted at the top of the windscreen worked well.

It did what it was supposed to do but when I saw a similar van fitted with a rear view camera and mirror mounted monitor I knew I could use that to park much more accurately.

I decided against wireless because such a system will suffer from interference at some time and that will almost certainly be when you really want it to work properly.

I contacted the firm who supplied systems to AS but they wouldn't talk to me as I was only a retail customer!!!!!!

I sourced a similar system at a quarter of the price and bought it but took it to the AS service centre to have it fitted. I have the technical skill to wire the electronics but routing the cables through the van and drilling holes in the exterior is, in my opinion, best left to someone who knows how the van was put together. I chose not to have it switched by reverse and manually switched it on when I wanted to use it.

The current van came fitted with the 'standard' AS system. I'm happy with it and the camera superimposes a distance scale up to 3 meters - very useful.

The high mounted rear view cameras would cover the bike rack, I would look for one with an adjustable bracket so you can make it look a little further back. I would not choose a low mounting camera as you will miss tree branches and other higher level obstructions.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:23 pm

I had twin camera system fitted when I first bought my van an A.S. Dorset.  The system is wired as had heard the wireless system can be affected by interference.
The rear view camera is fitted to the bumper (does not block the view when using a bike carrier but had a carrier already fitted so they were able to move the camera around till found the best position) and a second reversing camera fitted to the top of the van.  I have a separate monitor rather than the rear view mirror set up.  In normal operation the bumper camera is operating and I use it occasionally as it covers blind spot.  On selecting reverse the upper camera comes on and I find is ideal when reversing (solo camper).  I can however manually select the camera in use.

To be honest I don't use the bumper camera much but would not be without.  A recent bonus being that I sometimes tow a small trailer / trike which cannot be seen via the mirrors but can by using the bumper camera.

I have tried a sensor system on my car but would go for a camera set up every time.
dencol
dencol

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

Back to top Go down

Post by jt2011 Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:53 pm

jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper : trooper
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Hi there,

HOW MUCH????

I prefer the system that starts "Helen, please nip out and tell me when I am close enough." allthumbz 

The system works in sunshine, rain, snow, with or without the bikes or trailer on the back, avoids all obstacles and is accurate to within an inch. up!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by gj1023 Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:33 am

I fitted three out of four sensors to the rear step, does a great job of letting me know when to stop. Which is normally about foot or two, cost me £20 from maplins and easy to fit. Happy with that.
gj1023
gj1023

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Reversing camera and or sensors? Empty Reversing camera

Post by Viszy Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:43 am

Thanks for all your reply's and suggestions.  I think the twin camera is the way to go and probably separate monitor.  I suppose very little option when motorhoming solo without a "human sensor" round thefback!!
Viszy

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:28 pm

roli wrote:I think the mirror monitors are the way to go too for us.   
You show 2 vans in your profile, which did you have the gear fitted to and is it cabled or wireless ?
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't spot your post until today, l had it fitted to the Talisman and it is the wired type, I have been told that the wireless ones can be unreliable.
Shubberdog
Shubberdog

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman+Trident

Back to top Go down