The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hard uncomfortable bed/seating

+9
meanchris
daisy mae
AlanT
rose49f
DuxDeluxe
Wearsider
roli
Dutto
Stewbern
13 posters

Go down

Hard uncomfortable bed/seating Empty Hard uncomfortable bed/seating

Post by Stewbern Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 0:42

We have recently purchased a hardly used & nearly New Auto sleeper and find the seating/bedding to be so hard and uncomfortable. Have any other members found that this is the case and if so have they managed to overcome the problem and if so how and what recommendations could they give.
Stewbern
Stewbern

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Autosleeper Broadway

Back to top Go down

Hard uncomfortable bed/seating Empty Re: Hard uncomfortable bed/seating

Post by Dutto Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 1:21

Hi there,

We have a 14 year old Duetto and the bedding is still "firm" after considerable use.

For us it is perfect, but the bedding in a newer model may feel a bit hard which is probably why a number of people on the Forum use a portable Duvalay memory foam mattress.

Check out [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] for what is available.

I used one a few years ago on a boat and found it to be uncomfortably warm but it may very well help your problem.

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 6:34

People use memory foam toppers where they find the bed hard which seems to resolve the problem. Suppose its quite difficult really to suit all us being an example - me hard and management soft.  I would say though try before buying if thats possible 

Could you do an intro please in the intro section as we request when you join the forum
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Wearsider Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 7:03

Aldi has memory foam mattress toppers for sale at the moment for around £30.
Wearsider

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Wearsider Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 7:04

Aldi has memory foam mattress toppers for sale at the moment for around £30.
Wearsider

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 7:37

As said above, the converters have to find a compromise between many things. I would ask "would you buy a van with nice soft upholstery that is going to look tatty and collapsed after a few years of Dutto lounging around on it (sorry, Ian snigger  ) or even worse, me?" It would not be a great advert for whichever brand it is and also would be hard to sell, so they have to build extra firmness into things not only for longevity but also it is easier to make softer with the aid of a topper rather than harder..........

They are never going to please everyone - as above, I like it soft to sleep on but firm to sit on, so use a Raskelf for sleeping. Dawn likes the firm base.

I know what you mean but I suppose we accept it for the above reasons - I certainly wouldn't like to see my pride and joy with saggy upholstery in a couple of years. Just trying to see both sides of the coin big thumbs up

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 8:13

Ebay has loads of memory foam mattresses some firms will cut to size.  2" will do the job 5" will be too bulky.. Always get a cover. I have a 2" mattress which is very comfortable. What size do other members have.

PLEASE KEEP THIS TOPIC CLEAN
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by AlanT Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 20:43

We find the seats in our Sigma (forerunner to Broadway) fine as seating but a tad on the hard side for sleeping.  We bought a memory foam mattress topper from Dunelm MIlls - single size about £80 I recollect - and my wife now uses this satisfactorily.  I found it fine for comfort too, but it was just so hot I couldn't bear it, so have reverted to using a sleeping bag as a mattress topper and find this OK but can't say I'm 100% happy yet.

I was in Aldi at the weekend and bought one of their toppers (£30) and propose to try this, so I guess whatever I do it'll be a bit of a compromise:  it should be fine now that the weather's cooling, but I may have to do without in summer.

I note that the Aldi topper is about 1" thick whereas the Dunelm Mills one is 2", but I reckon 1" will be enough.

You should note that these toppers are bulky and heavy, but you should be OK storing them unpacked and above the cab as we do.

I've seen ads for "Coolmax" toppers, but as far as I can see, the Coolmax bit is just the cover to the memory foam and I can't see just how effective this can be when the foam will continue to reflect my body heat.

No easy solution I fear.

Best Wishes
Alan
AlanT
AlanT
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Tue 10 Sep 2013 - 20:59

We have the Duvalays  for the caravan, can highly recommend them , for my Topaz I made my own version of the Duralays, by buying a small double bed size  memory foam topper, cut it in half to fit my narrower beds, then a double quilt cover, machined down the length, one third sits the foam the other two thirds takes a single quilt, works a treat and makes the beds softer. allthumbz
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by meanchris Thu 12 Sep 2013 - 10:17

We just bought an Aldi king sized topper for 39.99 on sunday, which fits the bed in our Exec perfectly.

We'll be trying it out on saturday night.

Previously we've used a double quilt underneath us, as we've done on our boat, but it isn't ideal as it rucks up doesn't really offer support in the right places.

We're hoping that the Aldi mattress topper will be better, even though it's only 25mm thick as AlanT said.
meanchris

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : N/A

Back to top Go down

Post by Watermark1 Fri 27 Sep 2013 - 9:15

We had memory foam added to both beds in our A class. When we changed we also found the beds on our Bourton a little hard so we cut the memory foam to fit each of the two beds and also fitted cushion tops to the driver and passenger seats. Yes it raises the level on all the seats, but it is worth it. We have a water  bed at home and the first night away is not too good, but from then on it is great.
Watermark1
Watermark1

Male

Member Age : 88
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Backtrax Mon 14 Oct 2013 - 16:08

Stewburn,
We have exactly the same model and year Broadway as you.
We use a Dunelm matress topper and it is superb.
We have done 4 trips to France all in excess of 5 weeks and had no problems.

Ken
Backtrax
Backtrax

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon 14 Oct 2013 - 20:58

We use a eurolux memory foam topper and then a duvet on top of that, very comfortable indeed and laying on the duvet you do not get the heat problem.... but we do have a lot of storage space so that may be a problem. 

Memory foam topper is way to go!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by crimbo Mon 14 Oct 2013 - 23:14

Our Nuevo is 7yrs old and the seat cushions are still firm " good thing really" up!. We bought a memory foam mattress topper to soften and make things a bit more snug kissykiss  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Nuevo 2 berth

Back to top Go down