Extended warranties?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Extended warranties?

Post by Ann B on Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:15 am

Had a letter offering to extend the warranty on our Topaz as we have now had it a year.
Costs £200+ for a year and £300+ for two.  Doesn't cover wear and tear so a lot of 'get out' room there.

Wondering if this is a waste of money, like a lot of other extended warranty 'offers'.
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Extended warranties?

Post by Dutto on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:34 am

Hi there,

I haven't bought an "Extended Warranty" on anything in the last 50 years.

Consumers are pretty much protected against things not being "Fit for Purpose" ("Thank you EU.") and most things come with a one year manufacturer's warranty ("Thank you EU.")

My theory is "If it worked okay for a year then why should it break now?"wave 

Personally, I must be thousands of pounds to the good but it seems to be very much a personal thing and the old "Peas of Mine" seems to kick in with a lot of people.

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:54 am

Ann,
Did you get an insurance-backed warranty with your Topaz when you bought it and did you have cause to use it? We got one with the Symphony (and our 'new' Nuevo will come with one as well) and had cause to use it within a month when we had no power (in the engine). We couldn't even drive it to the dealer. Phoned the dealer and were told to take it to a local guy that I use, get an estimate/diagnosis and phone the warranty people. It was diagnosed as burnt-out valves. Warranty people turned claim down as this is 'wear and tear'. I phoned the dealer as not happy to have this within a month. They told me to leave it to them as 'it's all down to how you word the claim'. True enough they got the claim approved, my guy fixed it, dealer paid him (and presumably insurance company paid them) and all has been well since. Turned out to be a blown head gasket (wear and tear) but all valves replaced while head was off. Would I have paid to extend the warranty - NO! The good thing with them is the fact that repairs can be undertaken anywhere but if we have a problem with the Nuevo, I won't go direct to the insurance company, I'll let the dealer deal with them.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Ann, I haven't taken out an extended warranty for years, most are not worth the paper they are wrote on, when I first had a laptop I took one out, it wasn't until I got home and read that they have the right to use second hand parts (and this was PCWorld) put some money aside just in case, say the £300 for the extended warranty,I would say put it in the bank and earn some interest on it:hugegrins: 
Pete
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog on Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:32 pm

breakaleg wrote:Hi Ann, I haven't taken out an extended warranty for years, most are not worth the paper they are wrote on, when I first had a laptop I took one out, it wasn't until I got home and read that they have the right to use second hand parts (and this was PCWorld) put some money aside just in case, say the £300 for the extended warranty,I would say put it in the bank and earn some interest on it:hugegrins: 
Pete
I couldn't agree more the teething troubles should be sorted out in the first year, if something is so unreliable that you need an extended warranty should you be buying it in the first place.
Shubberdog

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman+Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B on Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:12 am

Thanks all for your replies.  You have just confirmed what we thought so that's made up our minds.
Ann
up!
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum