Hints and tips required

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hints and tips required

Post by Lilymo on Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:29 am

Hope I have the right place to ask this. I introduced myself in the Newbie section yesterday. My husband Pete and I (Eileen) have put a deposit down on a 1995 Autosleeper Amethyst. I wondered if there are any issues with this model we should look out for. We are buying from a dealer and have arranged for the RAC to do a vehicle check on it but they don't do a habitation check only mechanical.  The dealer said they will do this but I am a bit of a worrier and would like advice from people who know best, other owners. 
So any advice and info you can give would be greatly appreciated. We have never owned a Motorhome before but have had various caravans.
Lilymo

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hints and tips required

Post by mikethebike on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi , i dont think the model has any particular faults that you cannot see.
At that age rust and leaks could be the major concern.
A Motorhome dealer could easily check out you habitation concerns.
Does he offer a warranty?
AutoSleepers are good quality products and many of us here are using similar age ones without a major problem.
regards
mike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:15 pm

Main concern on the vehicle as already said - rust. The RAC inspection ~should~ spot any hidden troubles there.

If the dealer is doing a habitation check for you, ask them to demo all of the habitation equipment when you pick up, and make notes of how to operate it all. This is especially important if the van does not come with an owner's manual (though A-S owner's manuals do not actually have a very good reputation for accuracy!).

Then try out all of the equipment at home as soon as you get it back there. Otherwise you risk finding out about faults when you first go away, which I can say from experience is really annoying...
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 20
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks for that

Post by Lilymo on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:37 pm

Thank you for taking time to reply. We will have a warranty but due to age is only for 3mths ( age of vehicle not us ) hugegrins  Will take a notepad I think to write down instructions. As soooo excited to try this out. I have to add, no insult intended to other Amethyst owners, the pattern on the upholstery and clashing curtains almost put me off. However, my hubby loves it and I admit feels cozy.
Lilymo

Female

Member Age : 60

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff coley on Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:13 pm

The main thing you need to understand,is not the proprietary equipment like portapotti,heater, etc whose instructions are freely available on the net,but how the electrics work.Both 12 volt and 240 volt have isolation switches by the nearside side window and need to be explained when picking the Amethyst up. Also note how the Zig panel is configured and where the fuses are,RCB's etc. Also note that the leisure battery is only charged if the 240 supply is connected and on. The inicator lamp for this being operational is on the Zig panel too. Also note that if the space heater is used,it needs the 12v supply to be connected via the switch on the Zig panel and 240v for some settings. The water pump to feed the taps also needs 12v supply to operate as does the cassette portapotti to activate the electric flush.
Hope this helps-don't be frightened to return to the dealer if for some reason you can't seem to get something working-we did and it was our misunderstanding of what they had said on collection,that was the problem and instantly sorted!
geoff coley

Male

Member Age : 72

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum