Insurance and fire extinguishers

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Insurance and fire extinguishers

Post by dencol on Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:49 am

Moved to a new insurance company for my camper and after finding a few years ago my old insurance had dropped the section on driving other vehicles without telling me I have a habit of reading through all the paperwork.

Found a ‘new section ‘in the small print regarding Fire Extinguishers:

Must be fitted – fine have one in the van

Must be in working order – Fine mine has a pressure gauge and if in the green is working order

Then the punch line

Must be inspected annually by a competent person – Fine I’ve always thought I was competent to check a pressure gauge.

But no.  Must be checked by a company dealing with fire extinguishers or the fire service and proof provided if any fire damage claim is made.

Colin

dencol

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Insurance and fire extinguishers

Post by peugeotboxer on Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:52 pm

A Habitation Check will take care of this.

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey on Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:17 pm

hi,

dry. powder the nds to become compacted in the base of the cylinder over a period of time, regularly turning it upside down and shaking it may help but they do have a use by date, the pressure gauge only checks for a leak,

chris

can't see what I'm writing on this tablet
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : sold it

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol on Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:22 pm

never though about the hab check will have to get my paperwork out later and check the last one.
dencol

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:26 am

dencol wrote:Moved to a new insurance company for my camper and after finding a few years ago my old insurance had dropped the section on driving other vehicles without telling me I have a habit of reading through all the paperwork.
I must be well behind the times if Insurance Companies can remove the clause that says the Policy Holder is insured against Third Party claims when driving another insured vehicle for which he/she is licensed!

I actually thought that it was a legal requirement on Fully Comprehensive Policies; otherwise the are NOT "Fully Comprehensive" if you get my drift and are therefore being mis-sold!

The last time I looked, my own Fully Comprehensive Policy via CC still had it in place; but thanks for the heads-up as I will definitely check the next time I go out to "Petal".allthumbz 

My current complaint against insurance companies is the one that advertises "We will still insure your vehicle if you are hit by an uninsured driver."; which IS a mandatory legal requirement for ALL insurance companies offering Comprehensive Insurance!!

The truth is that Insurance Companies are closer to being muggers than your best friend!tap_fingers 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lilymo on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:56 am

Dutto wrote:
dencol wrote:Moved to a new insurance company for my camper and after finding a few years ago my old insurance had dropped the section on driving other vehicles without telling me I have a habit of reading through all the paperwork.
I must be well behind the times if Insurance Companies can remove the clause that says the Policy Holder is insured against Third Party claims when driving another insured vehicle for which he/she is licensed!

I actually thought that it was a legal requirement on Fully Comprehensive Policies; otherwise the are NOT "Fully Comprehensive" if you get my drift and are therefore being mis-sold!

The last time I looked, my own Fully Comprehensive Policy via CC still had it in place; but thanks for the heads-up as I will definitely check the next time I go out to "Petal".allthumbz 

My current complaint against insurance companies is the one that advertises "We will still insure your vehicle if you are hit by an uninsured driver."; which IS a mandatory legal requirement for ALL insurance companies offering Comprehensive Insurance!!

The truth is that Insurance Companies are closer to being muggers than your best friend!tap_fingers 

Best regards,
drinksallround

We are in the process of insuring our Amethyst through SAGA fully comp. they added as an optional extra £26 to insure us against accident involving an uninsured driver. Do I get it right from your comment this is already included in comprehensive cover ? Therefor We are paying twice !!! 
Lilymo

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:59 am

I have just renewed my comprehensive mh insurance, I have paid £15 extra to cover me against uninsured drivers, are you saying this is not correct that I should have paid the extra.?   confused3
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 am

Hi there,

As I said, I think I must be well behind the times in terms of what insurance companies are managing to get away with nowadays but I always thought that the term "Fully Comprehensive" meant just that.

May I refer you to the following site:  http://uk.ask.com/question/what-is-fully-comprehensive-car-insurance which states:

"Fully comprehensive car insurance provides an individual with the maximum available cover for you and your car. You are covered in case of accident, theft or fire, and third parties are also covered for damages in accidents involving your covered vehicle. Also with fully comprehensive car insurance, the costs of replacing or repairing your vehicle are covered despite of who is at fault in the case of an accident."

As far as I am concerned to try and charge you for something extra means that they are mis-selling what they call "Fully Comprehensive" and I think there is a case for taking the company advertising material to the Advertising Standards Authority at:

http://www.asa.org.uk/Consumers/How-to-complain.aspx

I certainly would complain to the company concerned and NEVER return to them.  Basically, in my opinion, it's a con and we all ought to fight against it.wave 

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

PS  I have had two successes and one failure in reporting adverts to the ASA.  They are a very thorough organisation who are there to help us to not be conned.  Please use them before the current government shuts them down to favour their friends.  Or is this a "political" comment and not allowed!!Whistle1 Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:37 am

I think you'll find that this extra for 'insurance against uninsured drivers' means you won't lose your NCB or have to pay the excess. It doesn't mean that unless you pay the extra you are not insured against being hit by an uninsured driver as that, as has been said, is compulsory.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeyval on Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:53 pm

Fir Extinguishers --- Having just had our MOT done yesterday my son in law reminded me to check the fire extinguisher. (son in law is RAF fire service instructor). Having taken his advice we found that our extinguisher is 12 years old - I am guessing that this might be original equipment. However, safety first it's getting changed - guess others might wish to check theirs for the same reason.  (ours is a Kidde dry powder type)
Mikeyval

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:46 pm

Having serviced aircraft for many a year, one task was always to agitate    (Shake in other words  hugegrins ) dry powder extinguishers on a regular basis to 'free off ' the compacted powder. Especially so in a vehicle as the wonderfully smooth roads we pay the odd arm and leg to drive on act as a compactor. I give mine (extinguisher) a good agitate quite regularly  lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum