morris leisure site, Shrewsbury

View previous topic View next topic Go down

morris leisure site, Shrewsbury

Post by bonnie on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi all,

Have just come back from north Wales (Beddgelert) .  This time we decided to stop off for one night on the way to break the journey, and to try somewhere new.  We had stayed at the "morris Leisure" site at Betws y Coed, and liked it, so decided to give their Shrewsbury site a try.  
The site was immaculately kept - large pitches with level hardstanding and electricity.  Shower block equally immaculate. Really nice showers.   Shop seemed to be well stocked with essentials and camping equipment (though I must admit I didn't really have a good look round.  There is an adults only section , which was nice and quiet (but it was Monday night, although in the middle of the school  holidays. ) ( I am a teacher, so it's nice to be children-free when on holiday.)
We had a lovely pitch in a corner with a patch of grass, very secluded.  Some pitches were more open, so it's worth asking for a corner one if available.  A lot of the site was set up in  kind of bays with 4 or 6 pitches , rather than a long row ( a bit like the bays of beds in a modern hospital ward).
The site is on the outskirts of Shrewsbury.  The "park and ride" buses are about 2 minutes walk away, with a bis about every 15 minutes into town,  There is also a parade of shops a couple of minutes away - a co-op, pharmacy, vets, chinese take away and fish and chip shop.  When on the site you feel like you are in the country, so the proximity of the shops is not a disadvantage.  There are pubs within a few minutes walk, burt we got a chicken kebab from the takeaway - one portion was more than enough for both of us!   If you want to go walking etc, you will need to take the van out.
so - advantages - quiet, spacious pitches, very well maintained, dog friendly, proximity of shops, ability to go into town on bus (£1.60 return), so you don't need to take the van out once settled.  friendly staff, 
The only disadvantage I can see is that the Morris Leisure sites are quite expensive - about £30 per night for van and 2 people for hardstanding and electric - can't remember if there was a charge for the dog.  There are discounts though - midweek discount, discount for caravan club members (may also be for camping and caravanning club - you'd have to check)  I think there was a 60+ discount (I'm sure it used to be 55, but as soon as we reached 55, it changed to 60!)
The site information can be accessed from the Morris Leisure website, although the Shrewsbury site is not immediately obvious.
If you want a site that is quiet with excellent facilities, not a holiday camp atmosphere and with easy access to amenities and town, I'd recommend it.
bonnie

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: morris leisure site, Shrewsbury

Post by Paulmold on Sat Aug 24, 2013 6:34 pm

I'm sure Morris's sites are first class but I find the £30 per night just too ridiculous. We use the C&CC site at EburyHill Shrewsbury. OK there's no toilets or showers but plenty of EHU's. With their over 55's discount we paid £8.60 last week for the two of us. If we want a toilet block then we use Cartref site (adult only site), £15.00 per night for 2 people with hook-up. It's about 10 minutes in the van to the park and ride you mentioned.

http://www.cartrefcaravansite.co.uk/
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bonnie on Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:18 pm

thanks for the info, Paulmold.  It's good to have some alternatives, when looking in the area.
By the way, can you get the van into the park and ride car park - no height barriers? - I didn't notice.
bonnie

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman 1999

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:03 pm

You have to wait at the barrier until a bus arrives and the driver lets you in.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy on Tue Aug 27, 2013 3:50 pm

We stayed on the site, which is called Oxon Hall by the way, and really enjoyed the site.
Yes, fairly expensive, but a lovely feel to it and a very warm welcome from the friendly staff.
As mentioned, so handy for the Park & Ride into town which only takes about 5 minutes on the bus and the £1.60 charge is for up to 5 people!
The only pitches available when we stayed were the "super pitches" with all amenities on site. What was strange though, was the water supply.
There was a tap handle on the top of the "block" with the tap outlet halfway down. The trouble was that this outlet is horizontal and opening the tap sends a jet out parallel to the floor. It's a brass type of outlet with the strangest looking fitting we'd ever seen.
Our neighbour had managed to bung in a short section of plastic pipe, but we had to walk down to the general water point to fill up our hi-tech watering can. snigger      No problem for us, but some may be concerned about that.
Must confess, we didn't enquire at reception as to what connector was required, as we expected to be sold an expensive gubbins. winks 

We'd definitely return, as it's ideal for shopping expeditions and for the town showground.
Also reasonably handy for cycling trips too. We rode the short distance up the main road and were soon on quiet lanes out towards Montford Bridge.
However, that Cartref site mentioned has got some excellent reviews on other websites.....alittlesecret ukcampsites

nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : 2005

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum