Forum Talk

Go down

Forum Talk

Post by peugeotboxer on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:53 pm

(I agree that it is polite for newbies to introduce themselves but, unless that suggestion to introduce is coupled with some useful information, it appears like a requirement coming from a very closed group - which I don't think ASOF is - and I for one would have been very put off the forum had it been the response to my first post.)

(I agree.  I think the initial response the OP received was just rude and lacked any friendliness whatsoever.  More likely to chase a new member away than encourage them to introduce themselves.)

*******************************************************************************************************

As it would appear that I have been singled out for this 'misdemeanor', I felt I needed to clarify and to respond:

Apologies to any new prospective member, any current member, or Admin if any offence has been caused.
The link to the 'New Members Page' wasn't intended as an instruction, but for information to anyone new to the forum.
If you click on this link, there is a very informative 'welcome page' and it was to this end that it was posted.

As this is such a well run forum, with very helpful members, I always try and 'welcome' new members with a 'hello'.

Again I apologise if this was taken out of the context to which it was intended and will cease such postings.

I am not a moderator, nor have I any involvement in this forum other than being a member.

Regards

PB

Last edited by peugeotboxer on Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Font colour changed)
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Forum Talk

Post by roli on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:26 pm

I dont see a problem PB, you are merely pointing out what new folks should have read anyway.

There are not many house rules on here, compared with elswhere and as far as moderation is concerned the most frequent action is shifting a post to a more appropriate
section which is no bother.

There is one other thing that is cropping up so I will mention.  Admin (and he owns the site) has requested that only the default colour is is used in subjects (there is a post to that effect) - I have had to change a Blue heading back on several occasions, cant remember if its the same member or not

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:30 pm

Thanks for starting the new thread, much more appropriate, but can I suggest that you amend the title so that new members don't think they have to read it. We don't want to wash dirty linen in public.

I felt sure that you were not wishing to cause offence but felt that I needed to say something because I had noticed that, what appeared to be a condition of posting, was becoming more common and more and more terse.  I pondered long before putting my oar in and edited my draft several times before posting.  It was not intended as a direct attack and I hope that you did not take it as such.

Can I suggest (as an ordinary forum member) that it might be a good idea for Admin or a senior Moderator to devise a new wording for the "welcome - please read this first" thread which adds the points that Peter made about the need for introductions to help keep the forum free of spam and other distractions.

I regard this as a first class forum which succeeds in its aims of helping each other with problems and sharing all the good things that we discover about our vans and what we do with them.  As such, I am very happy for it to continue to provide that service to all, whether they reciprocate or not.  Hopefully, with the right encouragement, they will.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Shubberdog on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:41 pm

Let me explain why I felt so bad about the response to my first post. When I first joined the group I didn't post for about three months mainly because I am not an outspoken person and only say something or post when I feel it is important. I then received a message saying my details could be deleted if I didn't take part. So as I was planning a long winter break I made a quick post asking for advice only to be rebuffed by someone saying that I should introduce myself first. This brought me to a very low ebb and I did consider not returning to the site. However I overcame this and I am very pleased that I did return. I think that if Admin wish to make it a condition it would be better to do this when we join, if not l don't think others should interfere.
Shubberdog

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Talisman+Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:41 am

I had such a similar experience. I would have retreated but shortly after had the opportunity to talk it over with Roli during a rally and decided (happily and because he is such a nice guy) to continue. Without that chat I would have left with my (then) cynical views of forum activity confirmed.

I have been biting my tongue on this subject ever since so couldn't help making a comment but PB should not feel censured as he is only one of several who felt that doing this was a good thing to do.

Peter
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:40 pm

As a recent arrival, i've also noted that some of the initial contact for those who breach the initial post rule is terse. Which is a shame, as this is actually a really good group. Don't change, just modify the interaction....for some people, even just to post a message is a really big step, so don't discourage them.

journeyman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2008

View user profile http://www.motorhomedreamer.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron on Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:35 pm

I agree that pb should not feel cemsured.
Can we bear in mind that for an awful lot of members their personal profile that appears on every one of their posts tells us more about them than their "Hello". Thst is certainly so for me.smile!

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum