TV Aerial Question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TV Aerial Question

Post by Fallen_camper on Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:19 pm

I have a one year old van which came with an Avtek TV installed.  With power to the TV, if I remove the aerial lead from the TV then the power to the TV goes. i.e. no aerial plugged in, no power.  This only applies to the built in aerial.  I can't plug any other aerial directly into the TV since I'd have no power. The dealer tells me this is correct but I'm not convinced.  Could anyone explain to me in simple terms why there appears to be power going through my TV aerial?  There is the usual 12v supply lead.
Many thanks
Fallen_camper

Female

Member Age : 26
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: TV Aerial Question

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:28 pm

The TV should have a 12vdc power connection, either from the habitation 12v circuitry or a 230v ac to 12 dc power supply. That will power the TV irrespective of what else is connected. The AVTEK TV has the ability (should it be switched on via the set up menu) to provide 5v to power an external amplified aerial. The power to the aerial is fed via the inner and outer conductors of the coaxial aerial cable and therefore the outer conductor is connected to the -ve (earth) circuit in the TV as is the -ve connection from the TV power connection.

The TV aerial lead in your van is connected to the built in aerial via a 12v powered amplifier, this also has a -ve (earth) circuit. The amplifier will certainly not be powering the TV via the co-ax but is probably providing the -ve path to complete the power circuit.

You should test the power connections to the TV. I expect the +ve connection is correct but that the -ve connection is open circuit.

You are right not to be convinced because what you were told is wrong.

Peter
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallen_camper on Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:02 pm

Thanks Peter, what you've told me obviously makes sense.  I just need to figure out what I do with the information now.
Fallen_camper

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:02 pm

Peter's theory sounds reasonable. You should be able to test it quite simply using a spare aerial lead, plug it into the TV, turn the TV power on, then take the outer of the aerial lead to battery negative (i.e. any bare metal point on the chassis - bolt heads are often good for this). If the TV powers up it's pretty conclusive.
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallen_camper on Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:45 pm

Mojo - I did what you said and the TV powered up, so I guess we have proved that what Peter said is correct.  How simple is it to put things right?  I'm heading off to Europe in 2 days time for 6 weeks.  I'd like to have a working, non dangerous TV.   I only discovered this problem when on a rally recently.  Everyone else had a TV signal and I didn't, so kind people offerred me good aerials and I couldn't use them.

When in Europe I was hoping to pick up a good cheap satallite aerial and try to get some satallite reception, but at the moment I'm not sure how to proceed.

I did take the van which is still under warranty to the dealer last week, hoping that that would fix things.  Which it obviously hasn't.  They changed the fuse in the lead as at that time I'd lost all power to the TV. 

Is it an easy fix or a complicated problem?
Fallen_camper

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Any competent caravan or auto electrician will find the fault or install a work around in a few minutes once you demonstrate the fault.

I'll be at the ASOC rally in Montreuil-Bellay in the Loire area next week if you are anywhere near.

You need to learn a bit about satellite reception and necessary apparatus before you buy anything. There are threads on the site but I haven't time to look for them at the moment.

Enjoy your trip.

Peter
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallen_camper on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:32 pm

Thanks Peter,

The rally is too far away from where we are going although we did originally consider it.  We're heading for the Dusseldorf Show and the Rhein/Moselle area.  Your offer of assistance is however much appreciated.

I hope you have a good trip and will let you know how things progress.

Fran
Fallen_camper

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:51 pm

http://www.weingut-fjweis.de/de/

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=50.015539,7.179476&hl=en&ll=50.015185,7.175961&spn=0.009804,0.022724&num=1&t=m&z=16

In that case can I recommend you visit my wine supplier in Zell am Mosel. There is a Stellplatz just the other side of the river bridge and another Stellplatz plus a campsite about a mile north but also on the west side of the Mosel.

Peter
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallen_camper on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:33 am

I've made a note of that.  I don't need any persuading to visit a good wine merchant.  smile!
Fallen_camper

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fallen_camper on Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:08 pm

Problem sorted.  I spoke to the dealer who arranged for an auto-electrician to take a look and he fixed it.  Both 12v sockets needed the wiring fixed.  Thanks again for your help gentlemen.
allthumbz 
Fran
Fallen_camper

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum