Scotland West Coast

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scotland West Coast

Post by barryandpam on Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Any suggestions for touring the West Coast of Scotland in September - Oban / Mull / Iona etc ?
barryandpam

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Medallion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scotland West Coast

Post by Dutto on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Yep!

1. Take plenty of anti-midge cream!!allthumbz 

2. Try to not be outside after dusk.allthumbz 

3. Enjoy!!up! up! 

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:20 am

Avon Skin So Simple or same thing Avon re badge as Midge Repelant also head mask helps against the wee beasties.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

re Scotland West Coast

Post by barryandpam on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:26 am

Thanks folks - I was really thinking about suggestions for  camp sites, routes, places of special interest etc
barryandpam

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Medallion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:09 am

We've just returned from 4 weeks in the Highlands & Hebrides. There seems to be very little midge activity this year.
They don't like strong sunlight or wind, and we've had both - so praps that's the reason.
Not a fan of Mull although I love Iona. Your trip would be more interesting if you sail from Lochaline.

Frank

Last edited by boxerman on Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed an r)
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi if you get the chance visit Arisaig and Mallaig very picturesque, we went up the west coast via Loch Lomond,then on to Glencoe then to the above two places where we had to return home due oil leak on engine
Mike
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RDBNorfolk on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:40 pm

On Mull try Fidgen Farm, c1 mile from ferry port to Iona  - no electricity but good showers etc and fantastic beach side location. Also Calgary Bay on Mull - authorised wild camping for smaller motorhomes. If you use Lochaline ferry route then Resipole campsite on the Ardnamurchan Peninsula is very good loch side site. You could try longish drive to lighthouse at end of peninsula - we have seen white tailed eagles,  otters, basking sharks and whales from here. If you use the Oban ferry route, then could overnight at site very close to ferry terminal on Mull - we have stayed here 3 times and always been able to watch otters in the bay in the evening from the motorhome. Have a look at Calmac hopscotch tickets - can be quite a saving.
RDBNorfolk

Auto-Sleeper : Dorset

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK on Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:39 pm

I've noticed previously on the forum that those from "down south" tend to head Loch Lomond direction and then veer north to Oban and beyond.   Believe me, and I come that this neck of the woods, south Argyllshire and the Kintyre peninsula offer some of the best scenery on the west coast.    There are many great camp sites and pitches tend to be available, and cheaper, because they are slightly off the beaten track.    If you are interested, PM me for a list of some really great sites.

Enjoy anyway, Bob
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Sorry Bob, don't agree Whistle1 Kintyre has some very interesting places to visit, Dunnad, Crinan etc.etc... but for scenery I much prefer the mountainous parts.
Still - it wouldn't do for everyone to like the same things though would it?

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK on Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:36 pm

Frank ....    Good to see you've explored all these places of my youth ...... Sunday picnic was going down to Crinan to watch the boats !      Once you've done all that, certainly move northwards, it's just one extended picture ...   can't be surpassed.

cheers.
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:39 pm

BobK wrote:I've noticed previously on the forum that those from "down south" tend to head Loch Lomond direction and then veer north to Oban and beyond.   Believe me, and I come that this neck of the woods, south Argyllshire and the Kintyre peninsula offer some of the best scenery on the west coast.    There are many great camp sites and pitches tend to be available, and cheaper, because they are slightly off the beaten track.    If you are interested, PM me for a list of some really great sites.

Enjoy anyway, Bob
 Well done Bob three cheers for Argyll and Bute, some cracking sites on the west coast past Tarbert, even wild camp on Bute.
Heading up to Ullapool, via Rosemarkie and staying in Killin,no midges at this time.
Happy holidays
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Scotland West Coast

Post by oldbikerider on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:02 pm

If you have anything bigger than a Harmony/Symbol do not, repeat do not, try the route to Applecross (I think its called Pass of the Cattle)
Apart from being very nerve racking, steep, narrow (just about room for one vehicle) and you can't see the edge. your passenger will be leaning into you sinking their teeth in your arm because all they will see is the drop over the edge.
oldbikerider

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:25 pm

oldbikerider wrote:If you have anything bigger than a Harmony/Symbol do not, repeat do not, try the route to Applecross (I think its called Pass of the Cattle)
The Bealach Na Ba. The bin wagon does it on a regular basis, as do the wagons supplying the pub, campsite and shops.
Apart from being very nerve racking, steep, narrow (just about room for one vehicle) and you can't see the edge. your passenger will be leaning into you sinking their teeth in your arm because all they will see is the drop over the edge.
Compared to Hardnott Pass in your neck of the woods, it's a breeze biggrin I admit that coming from Applecross to Kishorn, it's "interesting" cresting the hill as the road shoots off to the right and out of sight. But after that there's no worries, friend of mine did it earlier in the year in a Chausson<sp?> coachbuilt. He asked me about it before he went and said afterwards that his fears were unfounded.
If anything, I think the coast road is more iffy. Whistle1 

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daveH on Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:49 am

Nobody's mentioned the Isle of Arran - Scotland in miniature - only a one hour Cal-Mac Ferry journey from Ardrossan to Brodick - lovely camp site at southern end of island - I think it's called Seal Shore Bay, right next to a hotel with food served on the waterfront where you can watch the seals, otters etc, as you eat your meal and stave of dehydration.

You can get a smaller ferry from the north of Arran over to the Kintyre peninsula.

Dave
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:02 am

Arran is fine - but larger vans may need to take care on some of the roads

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:12 pm

Why anybody would want to go anywhere near the West Coast of Scotland, at any time of year, is beyond me!
Cold, wet, windy and midge-ridden etc etc. Apparently the scenery is quite nice if you ever see it through the mist.
Some say there are also good beaches, not much use in the semi-permanent horizontal rain.

I would urge everyone to please, please stay well away - especially in Spring Summer and Autumn when we normally go.
(In particular stay away from Assynt - you'll hate it!) hugegrins

Back to top Go down

Post by daveH on Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:21 pm

I must agree with candapack (see above). We've been visiting the west coast of Scotland 4 or 5 times a year for the last 45 years and we've never enjoyed it. Miles of empty roads and  deserted beaches where your the only person barbequing as the sun sinks over the western isles. Total silence at night and the black sky is full of stars some shooting plus the occasional satellite. No bustling supermarkets just the occasional wee village shop used more as a meeting place for the villagers than a shop so beware if your in a hurry. And beware the Céilidh's if you want to start out with a clear head in the morning, the locals can be very friendly and wonderfully hospitable. drinksallround
daveH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:03 pm

I've been saying the same about Northumberland for years. Hateful area, you won't like it either.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by crimbo on Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:19 pm

We were up at Fort William in the july toured Inverness, The Isle of Skye over the Skye bridge and then back on the ferry to Malaig saw loch after loch, really beautiful up there. Watch out for the fellars though, some of them wear skirts Having_A_Larf

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Nuevo 2 berth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum