Table adjustment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Table adjustment

Post by Tonyt on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:52 pm

In the Clubman, and many other opposed couch vans, tables are mounted on those chrome tubes slotted into the floor and the table underside.

That works OK but in narrow bodied vans it can be a bit of a squeeze to get seated and unseated with the table in place.

The tables are rectangular which does allow some flexibility by swivelling them to squeeze past but not a lot.

I'm on the look out for one of those swan neck poles but they're like hen's teeth - rare and expensive.

In the meantime, I was wondering..... has anybody played with moving the table underside socket off-centre?  Not so far as to make the table unstable but just enough so when it's swivelled it creates a bigger space (one side) to make it easier to get past.  I have a feeling that a little off-centre would make a big difference.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sold -

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Table adjustment

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:59 pm

Tony
Offsetting the table mount is done on some of the smaller van conversions for just the reason you mention. We tend to you both tables at lot of the time. Ours are different sizes and we find using the smaller length table nearest to the fridge gives us enough room to move around the tables.
Regards
John

Back to top Go down

Post by murph on Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:26 pm

Hi Tony,
   lok in the search box under handy little table, by Whisky, this may solve your problem, I have a similar one but with rounded carners, to reduce the chances of injury.

Brian2
murph

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:45 pm

murph wrote:Hi Tony,
   look in the search box under handy little table, by Whisky

Off topic..................................what happened to Whisky?  goneoff 

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:01 pm

PB

Do you remember this thread.....

http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t7626-announcement

Whisky was one member referred to in that opening post, so he has left the forum. We also lost Deckie at the same time.

Lets not go there again.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt on Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Back to tables smile!

Thanks guys.

We do use both size tables at various times but find even the smaller of the two still a pain to squeeze round.

I've had my eye on that "handy little table" for some time and may well go that way for an additional, coffee cup, table.

I think I'm going to play with offsetting that socket on a table blank and just see where that gets me.

It's just one of the prices you have to pay for running a compact motorhome - but well worth the price (even with the cost of that new turbo!).

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ian on Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:58 pm

I would've thought that if you move the 'boss' on the back of the smaller table away from the centre towards the back then 
you would achieve the result. It would just be a matter of revolving the table as you take your seats. The 'boss' is very substantial
and I'm sure would retain it's rigidity.

It would be quite interesting to see what the table was like with the boss in different positions.

With regards to the 'swan neck' table leg. I have seen this and it does seem to have the potential to be really useful.
More-so if instead of having the 'floor boss' in the centre of the aisle it is fitted to abut the long couch.

Here's a link to a good picture

Link      http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-128935-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

I wonder if autosleeper still sell them and how much?

Cheers Ian
ian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:24 pm

ian wrote:I would've thought that if you move the 'boss' on the back of the smaller table away from the centre towards the back then 
you would achieve the result. It would just be a matter of revolving the table as you take your seats. The 'boss' is very substantial
and I'm sure would retain it's rigidity.

It would be quite interesting to see what the table was like with the boss in different positions.

With regards to the 'swan neck' table leg. I have seen this and it does seem to have the potential to be really useful.
More-so if instead of having the 'floor boss' in the centre of the aisle it is fitted to abut the long couch.

Here's a link to a good picture

Link      http://www.motorhomefacts.com/forum-printtopic-1-128935-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html

I wonder if autosleeper still sell them and how much?

Cheers Ian
I've got a couple of pieces of mdf more or less the same sizes so I'll trim them and do some experimenting.  I think you're right - a small off-centre movement will make a big difference.

As for the "swan" neck - yep, that's the one.  I recently saw one with the base of the pole sitting inside the box behind the passenger seat.  Very useful.  The only one I could find recently, and I forget where I saw it, was £75.  I've sent an enquiry to AS

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ian on Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:28 pm

Great.

Be interesting on both counts 

Cheers Ian up!
ian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Table adjustment

Post by terrybrinklow on Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:11 pm

Hi Tonyt,
            Go for it.moving the aluminum centre is easy,when you have removed the screws sit in the van and play with it until you find the right new position ,mark it [felt tip through a coulpe of holes],then refix the screws.You can cut down the table but thats more dificult as the construction of the table is honeycombe.Done both in my Legend and moved the cap in our previous clubman,after all its about coustomising the van to suit yourselves.
       Terry
terrybrinklow
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Legend

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt on Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:37 pm

ian wrote:Great.

Be interesting on both counts 

Cheers Ian up!

Count 1.  To purchase the Cranked Table Leg kit from AS (Leg, Holder, Floor Cup, Bung), delivered, will/would  cost you £111.30.  No comment.

Count 2. (Off-centre mounting) TBA - waiting to get my Clubman back from the garage.l

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ian on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Count 1..........................phew......

Thanks for the info....I'll think about it for now...and a bit longer..

Cheers Ian coffee_drink
ian

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Offset table

Post by robin on Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:50 pm

I've just offset the small table in my Clubman and I don't know why I didn't think to do that before. It works perfectly and is still very stable. I also greased the top of the pole a wee bit so it swivels more easily. That means that when it is swivelled it sits nearer the centre (lengthways) of the aisle. So you have the option of either having it offset or swivelled. Either way its easier to get past. Flushed with this success, I now intend to experiment with the bigger table.

I also considered the swan neck, but it is expensive and can't quite see how it is fitted.
Robin
robin

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman anniversary

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by minky58 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:04 am

I have offset one of the tables in my Talisman......works a treat.

Last edited by minky58 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Remove emoticon)
minky58

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:27 am

Hi there,

I saw a small table for a brand new AS that had the small table with the socket off-set.

Apparently it works okay but you need to be careful not to put anything really heavy on the "long bit" as it will lean over a bit.

I intend to do the same on "Petal" when a I get "a round tuit"!allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by minky58 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:30 am

'A round tuit'.....we have one of them somewhere.

Last edited by minky58 on Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Emoticon not working)
minky58

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum