Keeping a level head

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Keeping a level head

Post by snaprails on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm hoping that today's little mod' to the van will make life easier and less stressful next time out when it comes to levelling the van.

IMG_20130706_144736 by snaprails, on Flickr

Having first ensured the van is level spirit level is fixed with appropriate shims and adjustment of screws to be level.
This should overcome the fact that women don't understand spirit levels winks
snaprails

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Keeping a level head

Post by peugeotboxer on Sat Jul 06, 2013 4:42 pm

Just a thought.....how did you know that the van was level in the first place? think_smiley_46 

PB

Last edited by peugeotboxer on Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snaprails on Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:36 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:Just a thought.....how did you know hat the van was level in the first place? think_smiley_46 

PB

Checked fridge ice shelf and kitchen worktop in a couple of places which confirmed the van was as near level as makes no difference. It's worth bearing in mind that "level" will change depending on loading, water/waste/fuel tanks anyway. Complete accuracy isn't possible or necessary but at least you can get it so that you don't have to walk uphill to get to the loo or get a rush of blood to/from the head when asleep smile!
snaprails

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:02 pm

I'm slightly ashamed to admit that my bullseye (bought for £2 on Ebay) just sits on a large blob of blu-tac. I thought the blu-tac would melt in the sun, but it seems not, and it just stays where it's put...
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:52 pm

It was expensive but I use (3rd van) a camera level bubble.  When I first get the van I level it using a full size level on the work tops and then push the cameral level into a blob of blue tack till it also shows level.  All do the same thing - just a matter of personal preference.

Peter
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Otto on Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:24 pm

G'day, I must admit I saw your spirit level yesterday and though "yeah, fair enough" since I've got what I presumed to be original factory fitted spirit levels in my Tridents living area. But the penny just dropped that with your gizmo there's no need to get out of the drivers seat and clamber into the back of the van to check how I'm doing when using ramps and it will make it easy to find a flattish spot to pitch-up in the first place !
Cheers, Colin
up!
Otto

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg on Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Didn't think that people went to that sort of trouble to level their vans these days, I just pull up, if dinner doesn't slide off the table, thats level:hugegrins: 
 pete
breakaleg

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:03 am

I/we, actually PREFER the van to slope downwards a bit, for if completely level, we suffer from indigestion/reflux syndrome, but not if we 'tilt-down' a bit smile! 

I suppose you can liken it to the old 'brick under the bed-head' trick, ah, the joys of getting old hugegrins 

And, we have just been away for 8 days around the country, 'unlevel', the fridge worked perfectly on 12, 240v & on gas, so ours must be well 'tilt-tolerant' smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by damunden on Sun Jul 21, 2013 10:32 pm

I have a level on drivers door it took a little while to fix it whilst van sat on my level drive as judged by house bricks, Still like to be a  little head up in bed which helps to make it downhill to bathroom at night. If you get it right sink also drains. If you get it wring pans slide off hob.
damunden

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:19 pm

modelman wrote:I/we, actually PREFER the van to slope downwards a bit, for if completely level, we suffer from indigestion/reflux syndrome, but not if we 'tilt-down' a bit smile! 

I suppose you can liken it to the old 'brick under the bed-head' trick, ah, the joys of getting old hugegrins 

And, we have just been away for 8 days around the country, 'unlevel', the fridge worked perfectly on 12, 240v & on gas, so ours must be well 'tilt-tolerant' smile!

Me too!!allthumbz 

Much prefer to sleep with feet lower than head and also with bed tilted so that I fall towards the side of the van rather than the aisle.allthumbz 

Luckily for me, Helen doesn't mind the fact that as she sleeps on the other bed her head is lower than her feet and she is always in imminent danger of falling out of bed.Whistle1 Whistle1 

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by snaprails on Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Following a recent trip to 'ampshire I can confirm that levelling up is much quicker and less stressful when the pilot can see the level and the co-pilot can be sent out to shove the wedges under the appropriate wheels smile! 

I do wish I hadn't given my home-made long 4" lift wedges to the F-i-L though, they were so much easier to drive up that the Fiamma stepped ones I bought for the new van.
snaprails

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum