Which wax for GRP after Farecla treatment??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Which wax for GRP after Farecla treatment??

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:10 am

I'd be grateful to see whether there's a degree of consensus amongst Forum Members as to which wax is the best compromise between cost and performance, to give and maintain a deep, long-lasting, protective shine to my Clubman's GRP monocoque bodywork now that it's looking very good after treating it (well, about a third of it so far!) with the excellent Farecla "Gelcoat Restorer and Wax" which I've used on the recommendation of Members.

In the past I've used either Mer or Autoglym wax. But after all my effort with the Farecla, I want to be certain that there isn't a better product out there.  I'd be happy if you reply with a one-word answer, simply giving the name of your recommended product, but comments would also be welcome. I'll collate the replies and after a decent interval I'll close the poll and post the results.

Mer for me!

Thanks in advance,

Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which wax for GRP after Farecla treatment??

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:21 am

Cymro
Personally I wouldn't use Mer or Autoglym or the monocoque, great for paintwork though.
I use Hempel or International Marine Polish and then wax, after restoring the coat with a marine liquid rubbing.

I've tried quite a few products on a number of different monocoque shells and find this work best for me, in terms of depth of shine and probably more importantly, long lasting appearance. Be interested in others views

Regards 
John

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:29 am

hoopman wrote:Cymro

I use Hempel or International Marine Polish and then wax, after restoring the coat with a marine liquid rubbing.

Most interesting and helpful, John. But can I just clear up my confusion: from the above you seem to be implying 3 stages?

First is a marine liquid rubbing. I assume that's similar to the Farleca Gelcoat Restorer and Wax which I've used, which cuts through the haze on the GRP back to shine.

Second, you use Hempel polish or International Marine polish.

Finally you wax (with what, please?)

I hadn't realized the need for stage 2. I don't think my arms will take it! Can I skip it and go straight to stage 3?!

Cymro

Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:38 am

Sorry Cymro
I didn't make that very clear:scratch head:

1. First Marine Liquid Rubbing (yes its similar to Farleca), followed by Marine Polish, followed by Marine Wax.

Yes it takes a long time, but so far 1 year on its been worth it.

(PS there are also 2 stages I use before the liquid rubbing, Gel coat cleaner followed by Gel coat stain remover.....but I daren't mention them ! snigger)

Regards
John

Back to top Go down

Star brite Premium Marine Polish

Post by Peter Brown on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:10 am

A friend of mine has a 1998 Legend that always looks as though its just come out of the showroom.  He also has a boat and uses Starbrite Premium Marine Polish on both.

I bought some last July £22.79 for 500ml.  This past week I spent 3 days cleaning and polishing - the first time in my Motorhoming life that I've polished more than the cab metalwork.

I have to say the van has never looked so good except for maybe the day I collected it new so the pain was not in vain.

It now remains to be seen if the contention that for the next few months dirt will just fall off if shown water is true!

I have recently heard that Farecia recommend MER Ultimate Shine but have no experience of it.

Peter

PS I used about 250ml on a large coachbuilt + a lot of elbow grease.

Last edited by Peter Brown on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:12 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added PS)
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:20 pm

hoopman wrote:Sorry Cymro
I didn't make that very clear:scratch head:

1. First Marine Liquid Rubbing (yes its similar to Farleca), followed by Marine Polish, followed by Marine Wax.

Yes it takes a long time, but so far 1 year on its been worth it.

(PS there are also 2 stages I use before the liquid rubbing, Gel coat cleaner followed by Gel coat stain remover.....but I daren't mention them ! snigger)

Regards
John

Ye Gods! I'm a mere amateur by the look of it!! Thanks very much. Put I'll pass on some of that!
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Which wax for GRP after Farecla treatment

Post by algy on Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi Cymro,when my mate painted the new graphics on our Clubman,and he has had a lifetime of working on bodywork,and in all that time the best wax he has ever used is the Farleca wax top.The great thing about this is it dosent leave any white marks anywhere i.e the grey paintwork around the bottom of the Clubman.And he went on to say you can buff it off within no time at all or leave it 2 weeks and it will still buff off easily.I bought some about £20,He went on to say its so easy to use your Grandmother could use it.The results are very good..Hope this helps...Algy.
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:16 pm

Sure does help, Algy, thanks.

Thus far every product has one supporter!! No doubt a leader or two will emerge as more answers come in (I hope). Shall keep Members informed.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pophods on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:17 pm

I used Farecla on the monocoque a couple of months ago. It did a brilliant job and is still doing its stuff.
I found that, with Autoglym, I got a good shine, but shine didn't last long and annoyingly the wax made the black streaks more prominent after rain. Farecla is nowhere near so guilty of this.
Pophods

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Pophods wrote:I used Farecla on the monocoque a couple of months ago. It did a brilliant job and is still doing its stuff.
I found that, with Autoglym, I got a good shine, but shine didn't last long and annoyingly the wax made the black streaks more prominent after rain. Farecla is nowhere near so guilty of this.

Many thanks for your contribution. Are you suggesting that using Autoglym resin wax after using Farleca restorer isn't long lasting? Sounds like a minus vote for Autoglym?

Your final sentence seems to imply that it's even better not to use anything after the Farleca treatment - but shouldn't the newly-restored GRP immediately be given a protective wax coat in order to protect and preserve that hard-won shine produced by the use of the Farleca?

Sorry to pester, but I want to ensure I correctly understand!
Cymero
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pophods on Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:46 pm

I've put nothing on top of the Farecla so far. Didn't realise I was supposed to - if indeed I was!!
In my experience, Autoglym on fibre glass gives a shine, but black streaks are prevalent after rain. ( no problems with it on car bodywork or the van's cab)
Pophods

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2009

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:59 am

See this thread: http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t7681-which-wax-for-grp-after-farecla-treatment?highlight=marine

And in particular see the post from Peter Brown. I took his advice and used the Starbrite Marine on the GRP, after first cleaning with the Farleca. Excellent advice - repels water for 6 months or more.
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby on Wed May 25, 2016 12:42 pm

I've always endorsed Care-avan white caravan polish on my vans,however  I purchased a tub of Farecla G3 paste from Mark at Willersey last week and rubbed down most of the GRP areas of the van, especially the Luton overcab area.
What a difference to the surface, a brilliant white shine and the grey shirting came up a treat.
 I applied a coat  cara-avan white polish while the weather held out and very pleased with the results.
Newer vans shouldn't require the Farecla cutting paste for a year or two, however when you do, I would would recommend Care-avan  white caravan polish .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma EK
Vehicle Year : 2008

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Fri May 27, 2016 7:58 am

Loads of info on here and car detailing websites I have always been a fan of meguiars premium flagship. Good durability and we'll regarded in marine world.I am currently trying Meguiars ultimate wax the jury is out on that at the moment.
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Greyhound on Fri May 27, 2016 9:13 am

I personally like to use carnuba wax as the final protective layer. It is long lasting and will provide a good protection from the elements.

Many available but I use Collinite carnuba wax.

It's a lot of elbow grease as you put a nice layer on and then leave to harden and then buff (not remove) to a nice shine.

Water beads off for a ages and you only need to wash the body which a mild shampoo in cold water after that to retain the wax coating and take off any grime.
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Sun May 29, 2016 11:55 am

Does anyone know where I can buy a bottle of Farecla Gelcoat Restorer and Wax, I have searched on Amazon, Ebay a few marine suppliers and they all appear out of stock, It doesnt even seem to be listed on Farecla's own site.

Norman

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Sun May 29, 2016 4:54 pm

Noggin wrote:I personally like to use carnuba wax as the final protective layer.  It is long lasting and will provide a good protection from the elements.

Many available but I use Collinite carnuba wax.

It's a lot of elbow grease as you put a nice layer on and then leave to harden and then buff (not remove) to a nice shine.

Water beads off for a ages and you only need to wash the body which a mild shampoo in cold water after that to retain the wax coating and take off any grime.
Yep !!  I'm a Collinite user as well.....not at all easy to get hold of as its made in USA, and postage is expensive....... Whistle1
IMHO a marine polish for GRP is a must......I just washed the bodywork down with original green fairy liquid soap, then, when dry, applied Collinite No. 870, 
looks like new... up! (I'm all for easy, long lasting result. without joint crippling effort   hugegrins )
After extensive surfing the net, came up with.....www.shipshapenorfolkltd.co.uk......Tel.01353 67600....I think that's all, label is getting a bit worn off... shrugg  Worth  try... allthumbz  amount in bottle is 1 pint- 16 FL OZ...or 473ml.   cost about £22, or there abouts....misplaced the receipt.
Used half the bottle to do the whole van.  think_smiley_46
                                              Ian.
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Sun May 29, 2016 10:02 pm

Don't go washing it with fairy liquid AFTER it has been waxed though or you will wash it all off. look here
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Sun May 29, 2016 10:45 pm

Also a Collinite user. use linseed oil on bumpers and black work.
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman
Vehicle Year : Oct. 2003 VW 2.5 TDI

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by logburner on Mon May 30, 2016 1:17 pm

daisy mae wrote:Also a Collinite user. use linseed oil on bumpers and black work.
Autoglym bumper gel is great stuff, so far......... up!     Expensive...but who cares if it does the job properly.      biggrin
Ps.  Got the Collonite idea from daisy mae awhile ago....so can,t take the credit for finding a good product (just the cheapest place I could find to get it !! )     hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins
logburner
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman
Vehicle Year : 1993

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Mon May 30, 2016 4:56 pm

I hope collinite put charliefarley on commission.... allthumbz
groundhog
Donator
Donator

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie on Mon May 30, 2016 5:08 pm

groundhog wrote:Don't go washing it with fairy liquid AFTER it has been waxed though or you will wash it all off. look here
 Shouldn't use it before either. Fairy is Full of salts and vile chemicals which if sealed under wax will mark and mark badly. 

Many here mention Mer or Autoglym but don't say which product from the range.

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Farecla Gelcoat Restorer & Wax

Post by gonromin on Mon May 30, 2016 5:54 pm

NORGIL wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy a bottle of Farecla Gelcoat Restorer and Wax, I have searched on Amazon, Ebay a few marine suppliers and they all appear out of stock, It doesnt even seem to be listed on Farecla's own site.

Norman
Hi Norman,
You will find it is no longer manufactured. Farecia made it up using another firm & the other firm have stopped making there part of the manufacture. 

Gren shrugg
gonromin
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Linseed oil on bumpers & black working

Post by gonromin on Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 pm

daisy mae wrote:Also a Collinite user. use linseed oil on bumpers and black work.

daisy mae,

Thanks vey much for this tip. I have tried your idea & I have found it works very well. Wiped it on with a sponge on a warm day left it alone to set for 24 hrs.  Hey Presto Now lovely shining black bumpers.

Gren allthumbz
gonromin
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL on Mon May 30, 2016 6:03 pm

Thanks Gren I have tried all the usual sites without success, now I know why .  Have ordered some Collinite from the site logburner recommended, great value as they include free p & p.

NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum