Putts Corner Caravan Club Site, nr Sidmouth

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Putts Corner Caravan Club Site, nr Sidmouth

Post by Sookey on Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:42 pm

First trip back out, after the van had been laid up for 3 months. Really pleased that everything, habitation wise, still worked perfectly (good old Autosleepers allthumbz). Site was easy to find, not that far from Honiton and just a few hundred yards down the road from the Hare and Hounds.
" />Woodland walk to the pub, unfortunately the bluebells were on their way out. The dog walk leads on to this path and dogs are welcome in the pub. Only had a drink in the beer garden one evening, but the food looked good and was reasonably priced

Arrived late on a Friday afternoon, ordered newspapers (dont know about others, I never have a newspaper at home - only when away in the motorhome) and fish and chips - this is a new service by the wardens, they take orders on Wednesdays and Fridays and collect from the local 'chippy'. Just as well I did order fish and chips, as I found out when I made a cup of tea that I had left all my cutlery (apart from one knife) in my sister's van when I borrowed it. If you can only have one piece of cutlery,though, then a knife is the most invaluable!. So, fingers used for fish and chips that evening and had bacon butties for breakfast.
Camp site was lovely, set out in various areas, two immaculately clean toilet/shower blocks and plenty of water/waste points, TV reception was fair and there was a small play park at one end of the site.
Saturday, I went in to Honiton - asked warden about motorhome parking there and they suggested using the bus. Thinking I knew better wellhappy, I took the van - and couldnt get parked Whistle1.Admittedly, I had checked on Google beforehand and it showed a lorry and coach park just off the main high street, in reality this is now a building site. Several motorhomes had parked on the high street, but after another drive round with no luck, I ended up parked in Tesco's car park (which is on the road back to the campsite, anyway) and walked back into town. There was a street market on, some nice antique shops (only window shopping, as I had the dog with me), a band playing outside the church and plenty of choice when it came to sitting outside for coffee and cake. Back to Tesco afterward (an easy uphill walk) and bought a new set of cutlery for the van.
I did intend to go into Sidmouth later that day, but as I had been working Thursday night and was existing on a mere two hours sleep Friday morning, I decided on an early night after taking Sookey for a walk through the woods opposite the campsite.
Sunday, I headed off to Seaton for a ride up to Colyton on the tram

One of the Seaton trams - have to say, this turned out to be one of the most un-scenic trips I have ever made, but hey-ho, I passed the time having a chat with some very nice people both going and coming back. Had planned to have a pub lunch in Colyton, but it was rather early and ended up back at the tram station having a cup of coffee before heading back to Seaton. We were regaled on the way back by a rather elderly looking gentleman, who informed us he had been in Afghanistan and had lost his waterworks to an incoming missile ('it's all gone' he said, waving to his lower regions) . Whether true or not, we arrived back at Seaton thoroughly entertained by his stories (including how he had taken on 'a mob of rowdies' single handed when he returned home think_smiley_46.)
After lunch in the van, we headed off to the seafront - dogs not allowed on the beach or promenade until you get to the east end of town, at the Axe estuary. Pleasant enough walk, although there is now a detour for the south west coast path due to landslips.
" /> The Axe estuary - had a mug of tea at the cafe next to the bait shop, only 70p but the most disgusting, stained, chipped mug I have ever come across -  it tasted really good, though lol4. While there, an elderly lady came swinging round the corner, like one of the weebles (several customers went to 'save' her, thinking she was going to fall) and announced ' I'm not drunk, it's my first day off crutches '. She made it to the counter without mishap, with several sharp intakes of breath from other customers covermyeyes
Headed home on the Monday (for work Monday night, unfortunately), but would definately return to this site as I would have liked a trip into Sidmouth and there was also a walk from the site to Gittisham and I was told the riverside walk at Ottery St Mary was very nice
Sookey
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Putts Corner Caravan Club Site, nr Sidmouth

Post by Ann B on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:03 pm

Thanks for the report, brought back many happy memories of east Devon, a favourite holiday place for us.  We stayed in the same cottage north of Honiton for 7 or 8 years and love Sidmouth.  I have been past the Hare and zHounds many times and can remember there being a plane in the car park one year???

If you head to Honiton there used to be a little car park on the left just before the drop down the hill.  It led to a beautiful bluebell wood, masses and masses of them.  Unfortunately there was a height barrier so no chance in a camper.

Next time you go try Sidmouth, lovely riverside park, Georgian buildings and independent shops, good butchers and if you go to the west of the beach you can take your dog.

Some more of our favourite places in that area, Ottery St Mary, Exmouth and the donkey sanctuary at Branscombe, all worth a visit.

Hope to make the trip again in our camper next year and will try the campsite.
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Putts Corner CC Site, nr Sidmouth

Post by Sookey on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks, AnnB - may be returning to this campsite next month, with my sister and will make sure to visit Sidmouth
I, too, like Exmouth - spent a few days there last year, stayed at St Johns Farm campsite just north of the town (very basic and they had problems with the water supply while we were there- luckily we always carry a large bottleful for tea making). Hoping to go back this year, as we would like to cycle the Exmouth to Budleigh Salterton trail and also the Exe estuary trail
regards
Moira
Sookey
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: