The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric step not working

5 posters

Go down

Electric step not working Empty Electric step not working

Post by Hannah K Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:18 am

We have a 2009 ascot autosleeper and electric step is not working can anyone suggest what might be wrong? thankyou
Hannah K
Hannah K

Female

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : ascot autosleeper

Back to top Go down

Electric step not working Empty Re: Electric step not working

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:40 am

You will find you get a better response when you've said hello first before coming straight in with a question......

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Electric step not working Empty thanks

Post by Hannah K Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:05 pm

Sorry about that Paul....im new to the forum thing so took your advice and introduced myself! up!
Hannah K
Hannah K

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:19 pm

Hello Hannah K .... welcome . A while ago my electric step stopped working and I got down under to where the motor is. I dismantled and cleaned the electrical connections and eveything worked. It gets a lot of road muck down there. If this is unsuccessful, you would really need to invest in a small multi meter and do some testing. Check if there is power to the switch. Does (did) your step retract automatically when you start the engine. Check your owners manual if you have one. There may be a line fuse somewhere. I've just nipped out to check my manual before it dawned on me that the van is away being MOT'd today so I'll check later (doh!!)

cheers Bob
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:16 pm

Its a fuse under the drivers seat

If you do a search Electric Step you will find postings for similar Mk7 Transit based vans such as the Wilton, Windsor and Eton
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Electric step not working Empty Thanks Guys

Post by Hannah K Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:45 pm

Thanks for the responses....we have the owners manual but there is nothing in it about the step unfortunately...we have checked fuses cleaned muck off etc but it still doesn't work....we know there is def power going to it...a wiring diagram would be handy but I cant find one on net! If worst comes to worst hubby can fit a new switch separately but we would prefer to keep it on original....thanks for feedback guys....and goodluck with the MOT up!
Hannah K
Hannah K

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:35 pm

The fuse Under the drivers seat may not be shown in the Circuit Diagram it wasnt on ours but I know of four others Tranny based vans that had this including Peters old Wilton
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah K Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Thanks roli....hubby has checked that fuse and it seems normal....think its maybe time to just fit a separate switch winks
Hannah K
Hannah K

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:59 pm

Hello again...... I've now examined my wiring diagram (well as diagrams go it is not the best) in fact it is referred to only as a schematic layout.!! However, it would appear that your starting point, as Roger posted, will be under the driver's seat. My diagram shows the changeover relay and three fuses mounted together on one block. The fuse with the red/blue wire should be the one we're interested in, if they haven't done a colour change. You say this fuse is okay so the next step will be at the switch, which should have the red/blue wire as the input. The switch should also have an earth wire (black?) and possibly an orange wire and a blue wire. The orange and blue wires should be the feeds to the step motor (one for up and one for down). If power is available on the orange and blue wires when switched alternately, then the next step will be the motor or motor connections. There is a plastic cowling surrounding the motor, which, when removed, exposes the terminals.
I take it you have the switch opened up so you should be able to check.

good luck smile!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:48 am

You don't say whether the step doesn't work at all or whether it is just a problem with the auto-retract

The step wiring in Fords at that time was in a transient stage.

The DSR feed from the alternator (only present when the engine is running) is connected via an in line 5 amp (that blows frequently) blade fuse to the step circuit under the drivers seat near the step buzzer.

The majority of the circuitry is around the retract switch and relay, the switch being at the habitation door and the relay mounted on the inside of the van wall and in the Ascot should be accessible via the lower fridge vent cover (that is easily removed). The circuitry is shown in the bottom left of the diagram below.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Not shown on the diagram is a switch that is part of the step. It is on the side of the step and under a rubber cover held on by one screw. The switch is operated by the step mechanism and often sticks in with road dirt. Once the cover is removed it can be 'flicked out' and then lubricated with WD40.

It will be nice to hear what you actually find the problem to be.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Hannah K Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:54 am

Thanks very much Peter for that info....I will pass it onto the hubby and will let you know how we get on....thanks again!
Hannah K
Hannah K

Female

Back to top Go down