Electric Bikes? Good or on your bike?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Electric Bikes? Good or on your bike?

Post by Dutto on Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:24 am

content
dandywarhol wrote:The engineers at Harland and Wolff found the Titanic to be of sound build when it left Belfast - First Officer Murdoch was a Master Mariner, not an engineer (but unfortunately a Scotsman!). Unfortunately he mistook the "Iceberg right ahead" command and the poor old ship took a dive.

This is a genuine "Off-topic." contribution.

Not many people know that even though the RMS Titanic was using wheel steering (as were the vast majority of large ships even back to sailing times) the instructions to the helmsman were still based on tiller steering!

When the navigating officer wanted to turn the ship sharply to starboard he gave the order "Hard to port."!

This meant that the helmsman had to spin the wheel in a clockwise direction to result in a reaction similar to pushing a tiller across to port.

It has to be borne in mind that even as late as the 1930's very few people knew how to drive a road vehicle so they were not exposed to the concept of a "Steering Wheel" that moved a vehicle left or right when turned anti-clockwise and clockwise accordingly.

Keep pedalling! Summer will be on 3rd August this year! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Qnapper on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:15 pm

We have 2 x brompton folding bikes ( bought of eBay ) in our garage of the MH. We park up get bikes out cycle to local town no problem. We have folded the bikes got on the train arrived at the big city place, then cycled around and folded bike when needed to.

They are not fast or battery powered, but they do the job. We will look at battery power when the human "pins" grow week, but until then pedal power is fine.

John
Qnapper

Male

Member Age : 59

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by shargrea on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:16 am

dandywarhol wrote:Now that you've drained the batteries Jan it's imperative that you put them on charge after every journey - no matter how short - otherwise you'll end up with the same as countless used electric bikes for sale on the market - expensive, overweight bicycles! Keeping them charged every time will ensure long battery charge and long life (and yours I hope allthumbz )

This advice to always recharge the battery ASAP applies to Lead-Acid batteries (the cheapest and heaviest form of battery), but not, I believe, to the more expensive (lighter) types (NiCd, NiMH, Lithium Ion).
shargrea

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:52 am

shargrea wrote:
dandywarhol wrote:Now that you've drained the batteries Jan it's imperative that you put them on charge after every journey - no matter how short - otherwise you'll end up with the same as countless used electric bikes for sale on the market - expensive, overweight bicycles! Keeping them charged every time will ensure long battery charge and long life (and yours I hope allthumbz )

This advice to always recharge the battery ASAP applies to Lead-Acid batteries (the cheapest and heaviest form of battery), but not, I believe, to the more expensive (lighter) types (NiCd, NiMH, Lithium Ion).

Interesting comment shargrea - what I stated is what I was told by the bike shop owner but this link is a bit more informative. I think I'll start storing the batteries with a bit less than full charge in them from now on...................The point I was trying to put across is that the lithium batteries should never be left in a fully discharged state

http://www.osnpower.com/productID/tarticle_detail-408348.html

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: