my 73 commer autosleeper

View previous topic View next topic Go down

my 73 commer autosleeper

Post by paulcloke on Sun May 05, 2013 9:05 pm

this is my 73 commer autosleeper (dolly) smile! she is currently undergoing a major restoration up!

below are a couple of pics taken part way through the welding, sorry to say she was rotten as a pear so_sad

so far welding wise she has had both rear outriggers, both rear spring hangers, all four jacking points, 2 new inner rear wheel arches, most of the cab floor replaced and all new inner sills all the way around. 2 months ago she passed her mot with flying colours although she still has a long way to go before she is finished tap_fingers

below is a short video (my sons first ever go in the commer)
http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif?sort=3&o=9
paulcloke

Male

Member Age : 34
Auto-Sleeper : commer pb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: my 73 commer autosleeper

Post by roli on Sun May 05, 2013 9:12 pm

Nice to see these old vans being restored thanks for posting your progress. Do you intend to keep its orginal colour ? Dont suppose the snow helped with the roof !!!!

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky on Sun May 05, 2013 9:48 pm

Good Luck with your project. Paul. allthumbz

Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie on Sun May 05, 2013 9:59 pm

The joy of being young and enthusiastic topmarks I wish you all the very best, Paul. allthumbz

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

me, young? hahaha

Post by paulcloke on Sun May 05, 2013 10:07 pm

cheers guys. the snow killed the roof but luckily i was able to patch it up for mot and this year im hoping to get a new peak section ordered content as for the colour, yes i will be keeping it m8, at the moment im trying to decide weather to keep it completely green or do the top half in a nice classic cream to break it up a bit up! i have hundreds of pics at various stages of the resto (i like to keep a record lol) but unfortunately all of the work i have done has been underneath so she is still looking a bit sorry at the mo so_sad but in time she will be lovely again allthumbz
paulcloke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 am

Just been trawling through your photos Paul. I think most of us would have walked away crying rather than set to with all that fabrication & welding.
Does your better half not object to you using the bathroom as a paint shop? Whistle1

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump on Mon May 06, 2013 8:59 am

Hi Paul

I admire your enthusiasm, and wish you all the best. I am a former owner of a 62 splitty, so a bit of a romantic smile!

Andy up!

andygump

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie on Mon May 06, 2013 9:21 am

Hi again, Paul,

Spotted this one at Beaulieu ........ http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t5879-nmm-beaulieu?highlight=beaulieu

Regards,

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Mon May 06, 2013 9:32 am

Will look forward to seeing the progress on the restoration of your Auto Sleeper Commer campervan please keep us updated with pics up! lovely to see these old buses, keep up the good work....

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

hi

Post by paulcloke on Mon May 06, 2013 12:35 pm

cheers guys. believe it or not i couldnt weld when i got her. my dad gave me a crash coarse lol. i have wanted a commer since i was 12 so when i finally found 1 i could afford to buy i snapped it up. she was on ebay with virtually no description but she looked really solid so i took a gamble, next thing i know i was standing on my drive whilst inside the camper scratching my head hugegrins hugegrins but by then i was so stoked that i actually had 1 i didnt care. to be honest i still cant believe i have gotten this far up! as for using the bathroom as a paintshop, she probably would have killed me if it wasnt for the fact that we were due to move and our old place was being demolished. i will add pics again soon but if anyone wants to see the work done so far you can see the pics here

http://www.flickr.com/photos/53395839@N03/page11/ starts at page 11 and works back to 1

and more here
http://s1338.photobucket.com/user/paulcloke1/library/?sort=2&page=1

or there is a more detailed readers rides thread on commervanfan allthumbz

http://forum.commervanfan.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6833&whichpage=1

the van in the link above is one i know of but have not yet seen in person but there are some truly stunning commers on the owners forum (commervanfan) up! im pleased to say there are more and more of these vans being saved now. they are still very unusual to see on the road but thats part of the fun content
paulcloke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by ade700 on Mon May 06, 2013 4:58 pm

looks like my crown of having the oldest camper on here has gone lol cant wait to see the progress i love commers up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 48
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper T25

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hahaha

Post by paulcloke on Mon May 06, 2013 5:36 pm

ade700 wrote:looks like my crown of having the oldest camper on here has gone lol cant wait to see the progress i love commers up!

just call me king commer hugegrins allthumbz
paulcloke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Blossom on Mon May 06, 2013 7:11 pm

Hi.
Really admire your enthusiasm for the Commer and wish you well. Its good when these older vehicles are brought back to life.
I drove two Commer mini buses years ago in connection with my work. and found them to be good if a little thirsty.
Regards up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue May 07, 2013 8:08 am

paulcloke wrote:
or there is a more detailed readers rides thread on commervanfan allthumbz

http://forum.commervanfan.co.uk/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6833&whichpage=1

I read all 74 pages of your saga yesterday. They sound a really good supportive bunch on that forum, I don't think you would have got as far as you have without them. NOT that I'm denigrating the work you've put in.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

hi

Post by paulcloke on Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Yh your right mate. they are a fantastic bunch. it has become a full blown community on there now with everyone helping each other with advice, encouragement and even the odd brakedown recovery allthumbz every time my confidance dropped or my enthusiasm someone on there kept me going. when i got the commer i named her dolly after my late mum so the project has been pretty much non stop with me and my dad mucking in to get it mot worthy before i moved. we succeeded with 1 day spare up!
paulcloke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mij on Wed May 08, 2013 11:02 pm

really enjoyed reading your thread Paul and it brought back great memories of my dad's N reg commer camper - we loved that van (it was only ever called 'the van') and often wonder of it's still going somewhere. Pre seat belts, the most popular 'seat' for us kids was on top of the engine ..... no seat just a cushion,but if you won that seat you felt top of the town riding up front with the grown ups smile! Look forward to your progress updates.

Last edited by Mij on Wed May 08, 2013 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
Mij

Female

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper : Trident

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hi

Post by paulcloke on Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm

thank you up! its been hard work for the last year but i have loved every min Whistle1 my dad had a lot of commers when i was growing up and i know the middle seat well, i used to call it my throne hugegrins i have loads of great holiday memories and almost all of them were why we were camping in a commer so i have wanted 1 all my life lol. once my little man was born i decided it had to be done now (as you do hugegrins )
paulcloke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mij on Thu May 09, 2013 10:46 pm

The throne is a good description hugegrins Our van carried 7 and sometimes 9 of us plus 2 tents, so to get the middle seat you had to be quick ! She just seemed to swallow stuff like a tardis (whether it was legal then I don't know!). Great memories and quite a few mishaps that we still reminisce and laugh about now. It's great to keep that going and bet that your wee one already has a huge grin on board with dad. Best of luck with her next transformations up!
Mij

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hi

Post by paulcloke on Fri May 10, 2013 3:03 pm

yh my little boy (owen) loves her to bits. every morning on his way to school he kisses it and says see you soon biggrin they just seem to be 1 of them motors that grab all little boys attention and love Whistle1 must be the big happy face on the front hugegrins
paulcloke

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mij on Wed May 15, 2013 10:49 pm

paulcloke wrote:yh my little boy (owen) loves her to bits. every morning on his way to school he kisses it and says see you soon biggrin they just seem to be 1 of them motors that grab all little boys attention and love Whistle1 must be the big happy face on the front hugegrins
Yip, sounds like he's caught the bug and is on a great adventure with his own van .... Magic memories in the making allthumbz
Mij

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by moggyminor1966 on Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:00 pm

Any chance of an update Paul? Would be great to see the progress you have made.
moggyminor1966

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : None
Vehicle Year : None

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum