The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Gloucester??

+8
groundhog
Peter Brown
splashmac
DuxDeluxe
DeeGee7
roli
CC
Topefisher
12 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Gloucester?? Empty Autosleeper Gloucester??

Post by Topefisher Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi, We are new to the forum ( wife and I ) and are researching heavily at the moment.
Have eyes on the Gloucester but cannot find any end user feedback, good or bad.

Has anybodybody out there any experience with this model please?

Malc & Sue
Topefisher
Topefisher

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Gloucester?? Empty Re: Autosleeper Gloucester??

Post by CC Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi Topefisher

Don't think we have any members on the forum who are owners of the Gloucester model (Well active members at least!)

Roli seems quite knowledgeable on many of the AS models so he may hopefully be able to give you some feedback if he pops by smile!

Very little info on the net but did find these links which may help a little if you haven't already looked at them?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PDF magazine here pages 36 & 37: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:58 pm

I don't think I have seen one. There seems to be an ever increasing number of, what started as Marquis Dealer Specials.

The van as you are probably aware (but for the benefit of others) is Sprinter based 7290 (23 ft 11in) long with a fixed bed at the nearside rear.
Bathroom on the offside and a central kitchen with side facing bench seats to form the lounge
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Topefisher Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:03 pm

Thanks Roli,

Yes we looked at 2010 and 2011 models they had up Marquis Preston last week.

We saw a couple of used models ( 2009 I think they were ) a few weeks ago down at Marquis near Gloucester.

Thought it would have been a tad better equipped than the very similar Cotswold with fixed bed, but it was the reverse in a few aspects.
No spare wheel?
No built in gas tank.
No sat dish
Smaller Fridge/freezer

So these need adding as extras on an already £60k plus unit if needed.

You cannot beat good user feedback and we just cannot seem to find any at all on the forums, other than the negativity about the Cotswold and its suspect build quailty.
Topefisher
Topefisher

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:27 pm

Quite honestly I wouldn't pay £60k+ to get one of these Merc chassied vans. I compare our Ford with a friends former Merc powered Autotrail and we could pass it on hills in 6th gear and get better economy. They swapped it for a similar van but with a 3ltr Fiat in, and they can keep up with me now. I am not a speed merchant 60 ish max on motorways for greater fuel economy.

There are plenty of Sevel vans around, granted more have the Fiat badge than the Pugeot or Citroen but I think you could pick a similar van to the Gloucester (even from the AS stable) and pay extra for the 3ltr engine and still have cash left.

Out of interest our current van came from Marquis Preston and we got a better deal than either of the other 2 AS dealers in the North West and they seemed to want our business as against being just another punter. If you are going to them see "Scouse" Andy, he will look after you.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Topefisher Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:19 am

Thanks again Roli, and yes I have to agree somewhat with the Merc option being too pricey. It's meant they had to cut down on the coatchbuild spec which to me sucks a bit.

It was the auto box which attracted us to the Merc, it was at the side of the 3.0ltr Fiat based Cotswold ( still a £60k+ unit ) with the same layout which I personally prefered but it had the manual box.

Engines do move on and the Merc ones they have are the new Euro 5 models with better economy and power ( claimed ). It would have been interesting to test drive both those models side by side albeit the Fiat has far bigger litres but on the same output ( don't know about their torque values though ).

From what I hear, the 2.3 Fiat engines ( Euro 5 ) on the models now being produced for next year are going to be available with two power
options for the same litres ( approx £1400 difference ). The second one being more in line with the Mercs anyway. ( Info from a Rapido dealership ).

Back to the drawing board and cheers - Malc
Topefisher
Topefisher

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeGee7 Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 am

Hi Topefisher, we have the Hampshire based on the Merc sprinter 315 with the autobox and it drives like a dream. You have to keep your eye on the speedo though as on a couple of occasions I have found myself doing 80+ when overtaking a long convoy of lorries. The downside is the fuel consumption at about 24 to the gallon, not very economical, mind you we have only done about 8000 miles in it and according to the Merc garage the engine will loosen up after about 12000 to 14000 miles! The suspension is very soft which has been referred to as a bit wallowy by some reviewers but we like it , being older and arthritic, comfort is everything. The longest drive in a day was 340 miles through the Pyrenees and down into Spain and at the end of it I was still able to get out of the driving seat and walk around quite comfortably. If you get a chance to test drive the Merc go for it.
DeeGee7
DeeGee7

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:30 pm

I know that it isn't a true comparison but I have the OM651 engine in my company car (2.2, 170HP) and pulling a heavy car around it is much more than satisfactory even with the auto box - I get 47 true mpg and today (en route to Hamburg) I topped out at 149mph. Hardly relevant but it tells you a bit about the engine even if pulling 3.5 tonnes around. By coincidence I also have a Fiat 3.0 litre in the van and that is also very impressive. No "auto" box on this one, but a manual, but so much torque that it isvery easy indeed to drive.

I would have gone for a Merc with the van but the Fiat on the Al-Ko chassis just made so much more sense to me and saved about £7K
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by splashmac Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi, I have a 2010 Gloucester on Mercedes Sprinter 315CDi with an auto box. Just had it 3 months and am looking for some guidance/advice on adding an external barbecue point, obviously on the habitation door side.
BC Motorhomes in Ayr, where I bought it, have quoted £500+!!
Any advice would be appreciated.
splashmac
splashmac

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Gloucester

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:38 pm

I have a 2011 Malvern which is exactly the same van as your Marquis Gloucester. Motorplus Derby fitted an external BBQ and supplied an external hose connector last August for £289.79 inc vat, after 10% discount for being an ASOC member.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:59 pm

Can't comment on the Gloucester as a van only on the mercedes chassis and auto box which are both truly excellent. You will not be disappointed. Personally I would try to get a Euro5 as opposed to a Euro4 if that is possible with the Gloucester, to me it seemed smoother. Ride is softer than the Sevel chassis which will either suit or not.

If you want an auto you want a Mercedes. Changes are imperceptible. 

Am I reading your post correctly or are you saying Marquis are asking £60K for a 2010/11 Gloucester.... surely not! There is a 2009 on the net with 26000 miles at £39,995?

Good luck in your search.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:19 pm

This thread was started in 2011 and that's when the £60k figure was posted.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:19 pm

splashmac wrote:Hi, I have a 2010 Gloucester on Mercedes Sprinter 315CDi with an auto box. Just had it 3 months and am looking for some guidance/advice on adding an external barbecue point, obviously on the habitation door side.
Hi Mac
Give Cabervans a ring, 01475638775 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
We re-located from Bute in 2006, prior to that we had some repairs done to a campervan van with good results, not sure if they are still in business .scratch head
Boaby

Have you got your  Haggis and neeps ready for Burns night?
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Gloucester?? Empty AUTO SLEEPER GLOUCESTER

Post by tikiti Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:43 am

Topefisher wrote:Hi, We are new to the forum ( wife and I ) and are researching heavily at the moment.
Have eyes on the Gloucester but cannot find any end user feedback, good or bad.

Has anybodybody out there any experience with this model please?

Malc & Sue
We have a 2011 Worcester  AS which looks similar to the Glouster interior. We are extremely pleased with it and the rear wheel drive is a must. We live in NZ and freedom camp using a lot of back country unsealed roads. It performs incredibly well.
With double glazing, solar panels, extra water tanks and heating, we are very comfortable and want for nothing. At 7.29m it is easy to park and navigate round nasty bends.We would not swap it for anything. Next month, we will spend 3 months in it touring the South Island as we have done for the past 3 years.
Sorry, can't be of much more help. Jean
tikiti
tikiti

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : WORCESTER.

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 am

splashmac wrote:Hi, I have a 2010 Gloucester on Mercedes Sprinter 315CDi with an auto box. Just had it 3 months and am looking for some guidance/advice on adding an external barbecue point, obviously on the habitation door side.

Similar quote for me so a bit of lateral thinking spoke to the local guy who services my house boiler, being a bit out in the sticks he has to deal quite a bit with calor instalations so is calor gas qualified and could give a uk compliance certificate
Anyway deal made, I bought the bits and he came and fitted cant remember total cost but am sure less £200 all in, easiest place on my van was using the gas pipes to the fridge and working through the vent holes but this of couse it is on the opposite side to the door, just use a longer pipe
David

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Jan 25, 2017 12:07 pm

On the Gloucester, the neatest solution is to put a 't-piece' on the gas connection to the Truma fire and run a pipe from there into the under bed locker, fixing the BBQ outlet just to the left of the locker door.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down