The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Awnings - winch out or drive away?

+6
Peter Brown
Ann B
Paulmold
mikethebike
boxerman
Jo s
10 posters

Go down

Awnings - winch out or drive away? Empty Awnings - winch out or drive away?

Post by Jo s Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:46 pm

We have a vw trident autosleeper 57 plate and want to buy an awning for it. The dilemma is do we get a winch out one that has to be put away if we want to go off site or a drive away version that takes longer to put up and needs precision driving when returning to site for re-connection? Your comments as to your preferred type of awning would be much appreciated and models you recommend would be gratefully received as there seems to be a lot to choose from. Thanks a lot. Jo and Jon S.
Jo s
Jo s

Female

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper : Trident

Back to top Go down

Awnings - winch out or drive away? Empty Re: Awnings - winch out or drive away?

Post by boxerman Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Wind out awning are really only sunshades. If you start fitting Safari room wall to them they cost a fortune and are a hassle to put away if you want to go somewhere.
If you must have an awning, the drive away ones make more sense, cheaper too! Use the tent pegs & string trick to align yourself up to it when you return and Robert is your Mothers brother content

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:34 am

well i prefer the windout. Its quick and you have all your interior space.
For short stays that is.
I find a couple of chairs on your pitch is enough to mark your spot However many of my proper sites allocate you a pitch number.
Where did Bobs your uncle come from?
regards
mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:47 am

mikethebike wrote:
regards
mike
I believe it relates to an American statesman (presumably called Robert?) who was big on nepotism winks

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:56 am

Ask yourself why you want one. If it's to secure your pitch, could a small tent do or what is known as a utility tent such as the Outdoor Revolution Outhouse XL, you can store chairs etc in either. Do you want to use it as additional living and sleeping space, then the drive away is a good idea. If it's just to sit outside with some shade, then the wind-out would suit but as it's not something already fitted, then they are very expensive. Then there is the removable sunshade, such as I've got (shown in my avatar) eg the Isabella Shadow that provides shade is very lightweight and can be put on or taken down in a couple of minutes.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:44 am

Don't worry about the time putting up a drive-away we have a Movelite midi and although we have only put it up twice so far it took us around 15 mins the second time.
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:52 am

Make your own choice - this is my experience:

Our '99 Duetto came with a Fiamma wind out that we used right from the start to give cover from the rain as we entered the side door. Later a windbreak and then a small open fronted 'beach tent' were added to give a little extra storage.

With all that going up it seemed a drive away awning would be more appropriate. I got an excellent tunnel type that gave us plenty outside space. It took a bit of putting up in the wind but was happy with it. It took up a LOT of space in the van so decided to get a back box that then needed a bike rack to accommodate it - a trip to Willersey and more expense.

It was excellent when on one site for a week or more but too much trouble for a couple of nights.

The last few times I used it, it was taken down in the rain and just dumped in the van till I got home to dry it.

If we hadn't changed the van for a coachbuilt I would have continued to use it but if I went through the loop again I would stick with the wind out and other bits.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:55 pm

If you can afford it go for both! They have different purposes.
Also the best method I've found to fix the tunnel on a drive away awning is over the back of the wind out (when not wound out... if you see what I mean). Stands up to a force 9 at Lands End when others are picking up bits all over the site!

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by snaprails Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:41 pm

mikethebike wrote:
regards
mike

Possibly Lord Salisbury (Robert Cecil) or possibly not: http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-bob1.htm
snaprails
snaprails

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo s Tue May 07, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks for all the feedback. We think we are going to go for a winch out as we will mainly be going away for one or two nights at a time and want something quick and easy. The panels that are compatible with it to turn it into a room look pretty quick to put up and down as well so if we are going for longer we can add those to get the extra storage space.
Jo s
Jo s

Female

Member Age : 58

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Tue May 07, 2013 9:56 pm

We've got a Kayham Motordome with the poles permanently on the outside and it's erected in 10 minutes but we've never used it as an attachment to the van (although it's supposed to be used that way. Once attached to the van side door it blocks out light/vision and every time you want to go in/out the van you have to go through the awning. So, we erect the awning near the van and use the Omnistor wind out as a rain/sun shade - Robert is then your mother -in-law's great nephew.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Mij Wed May 08, 2013 11:26 pm

We've have used a kyham motordome (classic) for 3 years on another van. With practice and some patience it's ok to align the van with the awning. Just trying to figure out how to attach a J rail to our Trident now ! We've also got a Quechua base seconds, which, although not an awning (it fits up closely to the van), is good for shorter stays.
Mij
Mij

Female

Member Age : 57

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Thu May 09, 2013 11:19 am

When we bought our Camelot, it came with a tunnel-type awning that fitted over the rear doors. However we quickly gave up using it that way and simply used it free standing. When our daughter was younger and we were usually staying on one site for a week or more, it meant we could leave the bikes, barbecue, inflatable boat, etc when we went out for the day.

However since moving to a bigger van and touring more, just the two of us with far less gubbins, we no longer bother with it. It's sitting on a shelf in the garage, if you were a bit nearer to us you'd be welcome to collect it for nothing!
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down