The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto-Sleeper Pollensa walking on the roof

5 posters

Go down

Auto-Sleeper Pollensa walking on the roof  Empty Auto-Sleeper Pollensa walking on the roof

Post by radioshack Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:34 am

Having Auto-Sleeper Pollensa for a year the roof is looking a little grubby I need to get up there and give it good clean my question: Is it safe to walk on the roof to clean it?

Preston hairdryer
radioshack
radioshack

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Pollensa walking on the roof  Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Pollensa walking on the roof

Post by rogerblack Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:18 pm

Yes, that's why they normally come with a ladder fixed on the back!

I regularly go up on ours to clean it, and I am no lightweight. The only bit that I don't put any weight on is the curved section over the cab, as I do not believe that is strengthened. I can reach so far with the extending handle Vileda swivel flat-head mop, or else using a tall platform ladder from the side. I have also tried kneeling on the overcab bed shelf and leaning out through the rooflight!

We have also sat on chairs on the roof when attending airshows etc.
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Pollensa walking on the roof  Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Pollensa walking on the roof

Post by RickHelenWoody Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:38 am

Hi,

Older thread that's gone dead by the look of it, but I'm interested to know whether it is ok as stated before to sit up on the roof on chairs to watch Air Shows or Racing as we often go to race events like Touring Cars and would sometimes use this function if it is feasible.

Would sitting toward the back of the roof on a couple of sun loungers positioned on top of a rubber backed rug truly be ok without causing structural damage?

This would open up a big positive in our case.

Cheers in advance for any and all info. this is our first motorhome and we are going to pick it up tomorrow.

So excited and nervous at the same time. all new to us.
RickHelenWoody
RickHelenWoody

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa, 2.4 Diesel
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:48 am

RickHelenWoody wrote:Would sitting toward the back of the roof on a couple of sun loungers positioned on top of a rubber backed rug truly be ok without causing structural damage?
I wouldn't do that if I were you. A rubber backed rug would do hardly anything to spread the pressure from the (presumably) tiny contact area from the chair legs. Your whole weight would be bearing down on 4 tiny areas of roof, and would be almost certain to do some damage!!!

I would still use the rubber backed mat to prevent scratching, but place wide (6" or so) planks under the chair legs to spread the load. That way you should have no problems.

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by RickHelenWoody Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:00 pm

Dave,

Cheers for the info, I had thought of load spreading but with a board of some type.

Do we know what the load capacity is of the roof toward the rear of the unit? I am having issues finding the info and as I don't have the motorhome yet till tomorrow I haven't a manual or owners guide for this information.

We regularly go to Touring Cars and the like which is another reason for purchase as tents were beginning to get a little harder and we do all year round adventures hehehe.

Being able to use the roof as a secondary means of pitch for chairs or even just sitting up there on a rubber backed rug as stated before would be excellent.

Thank you for any advice and info, it will be taken on board as we know little to nothing and clearly this forum is full of good advice and knowledge.

Rick
RickHelenWoody
RickHelenWoody

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:54 pm

The spread roof load for most AS coachbuilts is 75 kg = 1 person.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by RickHelenWoody Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:56 pm

Peter,

Thank you for that, much appreciated, guess it may be wise to stick to the ground then lol.

Thanks

Rick
RickHelenWoody
RickHelenWoody

Male

Back to top Go down