Fan heater danger

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fan heater danger

Post by Peterm on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:54 am

We often use a DIMPLEX 2kw fan heater in our Nuevo. At the Whitemead rally we left it on for a couple of hours and it melted the plug, and the extension socket. The heater is only a few years old and has hardly been used. However it is certainly a fire risk if left unattended, and will certainly damage your 13A socket.

I have changed the 13a plug and tested it in a socket at home. After about half an hour the live terminal of the plug was too hot to touch. The heater will be consigned to the bin.

Can anyone recommend a replacement that does not heat the plug - which I have seen others do.

We have a convector heater but that only heats the top half of the van.

Peter
avatar
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 169
Joined : 2011-09-02
Location : Stockport
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fan heater danger

Post by Paulmold on Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Fan heaters are not considered safe to be left unattended, the fan can seize and then the whole thing overheat. An oil filled radiator is a much safer bet.
avatar
Paulmold
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 11920
Joined : 2011-02-21
Member Age : 66
Location : Mold, North Wales
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fan heater danger

Post by -mojo- on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Agreed, fan heaters should not be left unattended for any length of time.

The fact that the plug melted is not the fault of the fan - it's a problem with the plug or the socket. If you use a good quality plug such as an MK and tighten the terminals down ~hard~ (as they always should be) then you should not suspect the plug - if it is still getting hot then suspect the socket to be faulty. Its contacts may have overheated in the past and lost their springiness, so not making good contact with the plug's pin.

One other thought - presumably you have checked that the fuse in the plug is the correct rating? A fuse that is only just under the device's power consumption may get hot instead of blowing.
avatar
-mojo-
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 3721
Joined : 2012-08-04
Member Age : 18
Location : Southeast
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fan heater danger

Post by Qnapper on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:47 pm

Always always change the fuse in any item you buy as they are fitted with 13amp fuse. You should downrate the fuse to a 5amp or 10amp this will then blow the fuse if there is a problem. In som of the items I have in the MH I have a 1amp fuse better to be safe then sorry.
avatar
Qnapper
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 8
Joined : 2012-08-31
Member Age : 59
Location : Spain

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fan heater danger

Post by Peter Brown on Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:12 pm

I'm 100% with Mojo.

A 10amp fuse will just handle a 2kw heater - but you try getting one, AS use them in the water and space heater circuits and I had to get them from a wholesaler with a minimum qty of 10.

Any domestic 2kw device will have a 13 amp fuse fitted and that is correct.

Peter
avatar
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Posts : 3675
Joined : 2012-11-10
Member Age : 65
Location : Cheadle, Staffs
Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum