EHIC Refusal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

EHIC Refusal

Post by andygump on Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:07 pm

Hi

Just been reading on the other Forum, that some people are having their EHIC refused in Spain and Greece. Could be a problem as apparently, the are asking you to sign a form, which is authorising them to charge you thro' their Private system.

Andy shrugg

andygump

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: EHIC Refusal

Post by Celticbiker on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:47 pm

Considering that both countries have had financial difficulties recently and that they are both a Mecca for youthful and alcohol induced exuberance, perhaps they have decided that a good way to save a huge chunk of money is to stop supplying free healthcare to foreigners.
I don't agree with it, but can see why they would do it.
Rules is rules, if the rest of Europe has to abide by them then so do Greece and Spain
Imagine what the rest of Europe would say if GB stopped providing free healthcare to anyone who couldn't produce a N.I card
Celticbiker

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump on Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:27 pm

CB Exactly my feelings, perhaps we are all living in fantasy world smile!

Andy

andygump

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:32 am

Hi there,

Last year Helen fell off her bike (it was all my fault of course) and we finished up at a local Medical Centre in Catral, Spain.

They not only accepted our EHIC and didn't charge us for anything they also issued a local Medical Card valid for six months just in case Helen should need any further treatment.

In the last twenty years we have used an EHIC (or E111) on a number of other occasions and the most we have ever been charged is €25 for a Doctor's consultation; and this was redeemed by the NHS when we got back home.

I have no doubt that many private establishments will attempt to remove money from you if you let them so it always pays to make sure that you are taken to a government run Medical Centre or Hospital for treatment.

We have never taken out Medical Insurance when travelling within the EU and don't intend to start as we have every confidence in the EHIC system.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:10 am

Hi there,

I've resurrected this Thread because no-one seems to have mentioned the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) in terms of the proposed "Brexit".

Personally, without the EHIC, we will be prevented from going abroad for the simple reason that we will be unable to get valid Health Insurance from the private sector.

Dealing with Insurance Companies is like juggling rats (i.e. it's not easy and you will probably get bitten) so let me explain our own position.

My good lady has been diagnosed with Osteoporosis and I have suffered a Transient Ischaemic Attack (minor stroke).  In view of this the Insurance Companies will make it an "exception" so that if either of us has a repeat experience we will not be covered by our insurance so:

Scenario One - SWMBO gets hit by a car and as a result breaks her leg.
Does anyone for one second believe that the Insurance Company won't put down the broken leg to "Osteoporosis" and refuse to pay for any medical treatment required?

Scenario Two - I fall down a flight of stairs, bang my head badly and knock myself unconscious.
Does anyone believe that the Insurance Company won't insist that it must have been caused by another TIA and again refuse to pay for any medical treatment?

So far, I have yet to hear any politician discuss the matter of the EHIC when laying out their plans for future Brexit talks ...

... and yet cancelling just this single element of being a member of the EU will affect every single Brit who travels to a member state of the EU.

I bet that the Insurance Companies are rubbing their hands with glee!

Best regards,
drinksallround 
Dutto

PS

If you believe Insurance Companies would honour their commitments, I hope that Santa is good to you at Christmas.  Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:41 am

Firstly can I say how sorry I am to hear of your, and your wife's, health issues. I agree with your assessment of the implications of the  possible withdrawal of the EHIC scheme and the likely reaction of holiday insurance companies. Several years ago I was negotiating a price for holiday insurance with a very friendly female voice on the telephone. As she ran through her list of "have you hads", she asked if I had back problems. I said no, jokingly adding, unless you count going to a physio for a football related injury 35 years ago. The joke was on me as they refused to cover me for any issue related to back pain  scratch head 

I never lie when sorting out holiday insurance but I'm more circumspect in what I say.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:03 am

The EHIC scheme extends to countries not in the EU.  So it follows that UK withdrawal from the EU need not mean non-continuation of UK participation in the EHIC scheme.
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi

View user profile http://www.crailholiday.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:38 am

rogerblack wrote:The EHIC scheme extends to countries not in the EU.  So it follows that UK withdrawal from the EU need not mean non-continuation of UK participation in the EHIC scheme.
That may very well be the case ... allthumbz

... but I have not heard a single politician mention this subject and it affects ALL of us; "Remainers" and "Leavers" alike!  gimmefive

drinksallround
Dutto

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:49 am

rogerblack wrote:The EHIC scheme extends to countries not in the EU.  So it follows that UK withdrawal from the EU need not mean non-continuation of UK participation in the EHIC scheme.
 Roger, the group invoked in the scheme are all part of the "single market". As we know, our current PM has said she will opt out of this as part of a hard Brexit. The position may (no pun intended   biggrin) could change of course given recent events.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Nice to see you back in circulation Ian

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae on Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:25 pm

Welcome back Ian, Welcome to very best regards for your change of travel aka caravan.Enjoy. up!
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Anniversary Clubman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sue68 on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Doesn't the EHIC only cover treatment in the other country and isn't enough if you actually live in GB? A friend was taken ill on a cruise and his treatment needed 3 air flights with doctors. I'm sure this wouldn't have been covered.

Sue68

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by RML on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Welcome back Ian.
The EHIC card entitles the holder to reciprocal funding for treatment that is equal to that which a nationalised person would get in the country you happen to be in.  It is not a blank cheque to get any treatment wherever you are in Europe.  I visited 2 hospitals in France several years ago, I presented the card and was charged for my treatment.  One hospital made me pay before leaving and the other sent me a bill which the Department of Health advised me to pay as the hospital would persue me through the courts incurring more costs. Then on my return I filed a claim to the office in Newcastle and was awarded (finally) a discount, from France, which brought the cost down to that which a local person would have paid if they had no medical insurance.   Any European here who presents a card gets free treatment on the NHS because that is what we get as nationals - I believe this will be included in the Brexit discussions because of this point.  It is widely accepted that there are more Europeans living here than Brits living abroad so they would have more to lose.
Rich..
RML

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:50 pm

Sue68 wrote:Doesn't the EHIC only cover treatment in the other country and isn't enough if you actually live in GB? A friend was taken ill on a cruise and his treatment needed 3 air flights with doctors. I'm sure this wouldn't have been covered.

The secret is in the name!  It is a European Health Insurance Card so once you leave Europe (e.g. on a cruise at sea in International Waters on a ship that will almost certainly be registered in somewhere like Liberia) you aren't covered.

The EHIC system is that travellers within the EU get the same treatment as local people in public and government controlled medical facilities.

In some countries you may be required to pay for such items as accommodation, food etc. but these costs can then be claimed back from the NHS when you return to the UK.  It's a very simple process which (obviously) has to be supported by valid receipts.

A number of people have run into problems when they have used a taxi to take them to a hospital in Spain.  The taxi drivers are often paid by Private Clinics to deliver foreigners to their door and medical treatment provided privately is not covered by the EHIC; just like private medical care isn't covered by National Insurance contributions in the UK.

drinksallround
Dutto

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog on Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:39 pm

Great description Ian! allthumbz

I had a serious accident in Italy a few years ago when I was told I would never walk again. I was taken to hospital in the back of a van on a typists chair, doctors put a couple of casts on my legs and then I was put in a bed with filthy blood stained sheets and left to fend for myself " nothing we can do".  No food, nothing until a family visiting another patient took pity on me. Fortunately I was airlifted out as I had private insurance and BUPA medical cover but even that doesn't guarantee you will get any kind of decent treatment! so_sad
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum