The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBQ Point

4 posters

Go down

BBQ Point Empty BBQ Point

Post by algy Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 pm

Hi everyone,heres another,when I have used our gas bbq in the past I have unshipped a gas bottle with a long length of hose attached a bit of a pain really.Anyway I have seen people have installed a gas bbq point to the near side,just wondered what was involved,been a plumber the pipe works no problem but I was wondering about access to existing pipe work that I can cut into.....cheers...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

BBQ Point Empty Re: BBQ Point

Post by rogerblack Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:04 pm

I fitted an external BBQ point on our Pollensa a few years ago, it was a fairly simple job I tee'd into the gas pipe that runs from the bottle cupboard along under the side facing bench seat. Usual method to cut the rectangular hole, drill out inside the corners then join. I was impressed by the level of insulation! I have an electronic flammable gas sniffer device so was able to use this as well as the soapy water method to ensure the compression fittings were sealing properly.

Much easier than lugging a bottle out and also doesn't need a separate regulator. We try to do as much cooking outside the van as possible, albeit under the pullout awning if the weather's not so good. We also have an electric cooker/frypan as well as a portable induction hob; I had thought of fitting an external 240V socket but it's just as easy to run a short extension lead from the socket just inside by the window.
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

BBQ Point Empty bbq point

Post by ubuntu1 Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Remember you need to either add it to an empty port on the gas manifold or put a valve in the gas line so that you can isolate it if you need to. For obvious reasons I don't recommend DIY gas work but if you must then I recommend that you have it professionally checked.

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

BBQ Point Empty BBQ Point

Post by algy Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:47 pm

Thank you for the excellent advice as always,think I'l give it a go, the gas work is no problem as thats me job...thanks again...Algy
algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

BBQ Point Empty bbq gas point

Post by wildburns Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:11 am

Hi was going to fit an external bbq point, the fascia costs around £30.00.
Found this quick release coupling on ebay:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

£4.00 inc postage

Just put a tee in the gas pipe, long length of hose to suit, and when you bbq, open the gas door!
wildburns
wildburns

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : clubman

Back to top Go down

BBQ Point Empty bbq point

Post by ubuntu1 Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:23 am

Not just a T point - you need an isolation valve too.

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

Back to top Go down

BBQ Point Empty Re: BBQ Point

Post by rogerblack Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:55 am

ubuntu1 wrote:Remember you need to either add it to an empty port on the gas manifold or put a valve in the gas line so that you can isolate it if you need to. For obvious reasons I don't recommend DIY gas work but if you must then I recommend that you have it professionally checked.

The external BBQ point I installed includes a shutoff valve, which can only be opened once the mating part of the push and click connector is firmly in place. If further isolation is needed, e.g. for maintenance, this can be done by turning off the main cylinder valve and disconnecting the main flexi hose from regulator. Not sure why any additional in-line isolation valve would be required? scratch head
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down