Carver Fanmaster Squeal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Carver Fanmaster Squeal

Post by deckie on Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:53 pm

Hi All,

On our travels during January our 'Fanmaster unit (mounted behind the Gas fire) worked overtime and developed a nasty, loud squeal / squeak, which would only stop if I removed the Fire-front and gave the centre of the Fan a push with a long phillips screwdriver, whilst it was spinning.

Now back at home, I 'Googled' this problem and a few 'hits' came up !!

Most people blamed worn / dry bearings on the tiny 12 volt motor ......

Now I'd like a penny for every bearing I've changed ..... so knowing it had to be something more, making 'that' racket, I stripped the unit down and found that the fan was too far down the motor-shaft and with the slight 'end float' could (when it felt like it) scrape on the protruding tips of the two screws holding the motor in place .......

The easy solution would be ..... just put a washer under the screw heads so they didn't protrude into the chamber, but I thought it was better to leave them in place to protect the alloy casing if it happened again !!

So with a 2mm allen key (for the grub-screw) and a few swear words I removed the fan to clean everything up and added a tiny amount of spray grease to the bearings, then replaced it a few mm's up the motor-shaft (plenty of room before it would foul the outer cover)

And 'Bobs your Uncle' ...... Very quiet and spinning so much faster that a load of fluff shot out of the vents allthumbz

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Carver Fanmaster Squeal

Post by modelman on Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:28 am

Just for your information, thats an 'industial-standard' Mabutchi motor, the same sort as fitted to many power-tools etc. I've sold about 5,000

or so over the last 20 odd years, so I got a rough idea! The bearings both ends are sintered bronze, a compressed bronze powder & as such, will

absorb oil, (also known as oilite bushes/bearings, so, a a few drops of light oil, such as 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil will get well soaked in & it will

last for years. Grease works, but oil is better. smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Carver Fanmaster Squeal

Post by deckie on Mon Feb 04, 2013 10:40 am

modelman wrote:

Just for your information, thats an 'industial-standard' Mabutchi motor, the same sort as fitted to many power-tools etc. I've sold about 5,000

or so over the last 20 odd years, so I got a rough idea! The bearings both ends are sintered bronze, a compressed bronze powder & as such, will

absorb oil, (also known as oilite bushes/bearings, so, a a few drops of light oil, such as 3 in 1 or sewing machine oil will get well soaked in & it will

last for years. Grease works, but oil is better. smile!

Thanks for that MM, (I noted down all relevant numbers) up!

Have used Oilite bushes for many years, myself ...... the spray grease I use is very thin & seems to accept the capillary action 'rules' scratch head

You are welcome to come and remove / replace the grease at any time smile! ....... My neck still 'urts from being upside down in the wardrobe hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum