DAMP!! Advice required....................

View previous topic View next topic Go down

DAMP!! Advice required....................

Post by Clarebear on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:30 pm

It sounds like someone here may be able to help! I have a 1985 Sherpa Autosleeper which is very very damp! She is a project which I would like to have done by the summer, festival season! Today I went to start work on her and she is damp and lots of mould and really smells! I think it may be something to do with the door seals, anyone have any suggestions on fixing this issue!

I want to change the flooring, curtains and possibly interior covering due to the damp but don't want to do anything before I get the damp situation sorted! I am going todry her out and store her in a barn for a while. BUT can anyone suggest anything else?

Look forward to hearing from someone, anyone :-)

CB

confused3
Clarebear

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sherpa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: DAMP!! Advice required....................

Post by -mojo- on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:53 pm

Trying to find the source of a leak (or possibly more than one) is difficult if everything is already damp. If time were on your side I would get it under cover and dried out, then put it back out in the rain and try to spot the source(s).

There are a number of "likely candidates" though. Door seals are possible, but ~generally~ water that gets past these runs down the door pillars and out the bottom of the door again. Window seal leaks are much more likely in my experience, but don't rule out the roof and also any vents for fridge, heater, water inlet, etc.

If the damp is mainly towards the front, I would guess the windscreen surround is probably the most likely candidate, as a starting point. Take a look at the condition of the bulkhead at the base of the screen, as corrosion there is often a problem.
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:36 am

If it were me, & it was due to be dry-stored, I would remove EVERYTHING possible, mats, soft-furnishings, door cards, any removable panelling etc.

Rig up some form of heat, electric or even the on board fire, open all doors & vents to get smells out & air circulaton, warm soapy water wash

everywhere possible. With everything 'open' it will dry out easier.

I would do the same with the soft furnishings as well & allow to dry outside in the sun (yeah right) but you get the drift.

By allowing the van to be as empty as possible, you should have a better chance of drying out quicker, & a better chance of sourcing the leaks.

Also, by pulling out as much as you can, you will discover all sorts of things that would otherwise be missed smile!

Good luck, & let us all know how it goes & what you find.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 1998

View user profile http://www.modelslipway.com

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 pm

Once emptied and dried out try the 'hosepipe test' around potential leak points with sombody on the inside watching closely.

Most likely areas are windows, especially the windscreen. Doors tend to have drainage designed in as the seals are never 100%, so a little water getting past should find its own way outside. Also check where bodywork modifications have been made ie. roof.

Always difficult when there are panels and trim in the way, lots of persistence required. The leak can often be above the point where you can see wet, (obviously its not going to be below... unless it wicks upwards).

If you have a suspect area, you can pinpoint it more accurately by applying talcum powder when its dry then using a hosepipe that really shows up leaks.
matchlessman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum