mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Campsites with Wi-Fi

Post by Dutto on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Mike,

From my experience the wi-fi promised on most campsites is very often patchy (it can depend on which pitch you are on), low speed (using Skype is impossible or similar to using a VHF Marine Radio where you need to say "Over" at the end of every sentence) and inadequate (at peak times you can't even get to log on).

I have quite often been told "But it is free." which makes me really grind my teeth! tap_fingers

When it is not free it can be a VERY expensive optional extra (at up to €5 an hour) and it still may not work for anything more than emails. twiddle_thumbs

This is why, apart from BTFon, we mostly use MacDonald's or other cafes that offer free wi-fi and, in France especially, the local Library or Tourist Information facilities. up!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 pm

all so true Ian.
But those options are not always available. I haven't used a UK campsite WiFi,but a person could ask from that large list, the relevant questions.

regards
mike
mikethebike

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:07 am

mikethebike wrote:all so true Ian.
But those options are not always available. I haven't used a UK campsite WiFi,but a person could ask from that large list, the relevant questions.

regards
mike

Mike,

There's no doubt it is a useful site it's just that when they promise Wi-Fi it seems to mean different things to different site owners. wave

For instance, last year at LVL Gruissan Plage they advertised that they had free Wi-Fi. They did and it was a tremendously fast connection that handled Skype as if you were sat at home. up!

The only problem was that in order to log-on and use it you had to sit either in their office or outside by the table-tennis table. tap_fingers

In Spain:

o At Camping Marjal Costa Blanca the free Wi-Fi was available on every pitch. Again it gave great speed but at peak times it was overloaded and therefore Skype of iPlayer was a waste of time.

o At the campsite we stayed at in Marbella the service was terrible, it was expensive and the campsite owner just referred you to the "provider" (for lack of a better word) and denied all knowledge when I couldn't even check my emails.

They all advertised that they provided Wi-Fi though! think_smiley_46 think_smiley_46

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:02 pm

Hi Ian, i expect there are a lot more examples. If a thing is free it will be used a lot, as you do and say.
Range is always going to be a problem as well.
Nothing is perfect .
Maybe a French phone dongle ,i expect they have PAyG ,would be the best for long stay in France or the Spanish one
for Spain.
Perhaps a reply on this from a member.
regards
mike
mikethebike

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Spain

Post by shelldrake on Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:56 pm

At Camping Javea its 5 Euro for 1 week and 18 euro per month. very cheap compared to some sites here
shelldrake

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:39 am

great WiFi in hotel lobby in Tokyo ... only problem is no a.s.parked outside. en route to NZ but still receiving the forum. regards bobk
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 am

Having checked the cost of wifi at club sites back end of last year, I recall the C and C club charges seemed reasonable and a yearly " pass " was about £40. Ok if you use a lot of their sites. The Caravan Club wifi charges were exorbinant. I'll stick with my dongle which I can use anywhere incl. at home as I don't have a landline/broadband.
Minniesmum

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:45 pm

Hi M,
I tried a dongle ,T mobile, as they said the signal was really strong in my area.It was except when other people were using phones..!!
It was a bit cheaper a month than my broadband but my broadband is in a different class.
Never used it overseas .
regards

Mike
mikethebike

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:01 pm

I'm rarely at home so mobile internet is a necessity and lifeline. Very hard to get a dongle/provider that has good reception everywhere. I'm with Orange/EE/TMobile and its patchy. Not tried site wifi yet but may give it a whirl this year.
Minniesmum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Camsites with WiFi

Post by brodco on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:48 pm

Minniesmum wrote: Very hard to get a dongle/provider that has good reception everywhere.

Sadly there isn't one. Look at the coverage maps and you'll see they all have large gaps. Many campsites don't have WiFi either so that's not a complete answer.

Minniesmum wrote: I'm with Orange/EE/TMobile and its patchy.

I carry both 3 and Vodafone dongles. The idea was to have two networks available so hopefully one or the other may work. In reality the 3 dongle usually works but the Vodafone hardly ever does. I've certainly never been anywhere where the Vodafone worked and the 3 didn't.

Up till now I've had the dongle on the end of a long USB lead so I can move it about and find the best signal. Looking at similar topics in other threads it seems that the MiFi unit is a better bet because you can stick it high up in the van with no cables. Plus you can connect with any piece of equipment whether it can take a dongle or not (e.g.tablets).

If you look for campsites with WiFi and carry a dongle (or two), with a bit of luck you should be able got get online most of the time.

Brod.

brodco

Male

Vehicle Year : 1997

View user profile http://www.eurotherm.co.uk/en-gb/products/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:53 pm

Hi there,

Vodaphone do a plug-in "Sure Signal" signal booster for their customers but at £100 it's not cheap. tap_fingers

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-accessories/sure-signal

Has anyone got one? If so, is it worth the money? confused3

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie on Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:57 pm

Minniesmum wrote:I'm rarely at home so mobile internet is a necessity and lifeline. Very hard to get a dongle/provider that has good reception everywhere. I'm with Orange/EE/TMobile and its patchy. Not tried site wifi yet but may give it a whirl this year.

Agree with you there Cath ..... We try to be out & about in 'Clubby' as much as possible allthumbz

We also have a Orange/EE/Tmobile Dongle (on contract, with our 'phones) and carry a 'pay & go' '3' Dongle as a back-up.

Both of them are pretty useless on our current Campsite (Sandy Balls) ..... so I have had to use up my total annual alcohol ration (six halves of shandy smile! ) to use the Pubs free ?? WiFi scratch head

The sacrifices I make for our forum hugegrins hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

Vodaphone do a plug-in "Sure Signal" signal booster for their customers but at £100 it's not cheap. tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian
N o one came back on that ,so hear goes.
i think thats for a house or business .
Would not pay 100 pounds.
regards
mike
mikethebike

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:46 pm

mikethebike wrote:

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian
N o one came back on that ,so hear goes.
i think thats for a house or business .
Would not pay 100 pounds.
regards
mike

Mike,

"Think on lad!" as my Dad used to say! wave But, as usual, I may be wrong!

My reasoning is that as it is for a mobile phone it must somehow receive and re-send the local Vodaphone mobile phone signal; even if the phone itself has to be plugged into the device. confused3

Also:

o I don't see BT or any other phone-line provider allowing it to be plugged into the home phone so that it can use a landline!

o Even if it uses 240V then it can be used either on EHU or on 12V with an inverter. up!

o I don't see how it can be "area specific"; but if it is then all I have to do is get the local post-code.

It's still expensive but if it works all over the UK then maybe it would be worth getting.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:14 pm

deckie wrote:
Minniesmum wrote:I'm rarely at home so mobile internet is a necessity and lifeline. Very hard to get a dongle/provider that has good reception everywhere. I'm with Orange/EE/TMobile and its patchy. Not tried site wifi yet but may give it a whirl this year.

Agree with you there Cath ..... We try to be out & about in 'Clubby' as much as possible allthumbz

We also have a Orange/EE/Tmobile Dongle (on contract, with our 'phones) and carry a 'pay & go' '3' Dongle as a back-up.

Both of them are pretty useless on our current Campsite (Sandy Balls) ..... so I have had to use up my total annual alcohol ration (six halves of shandy smile! ) to use the Pubs free ?? WiFi scratch head

The sacrifices I make for our forum hugegrins :hugegrins:Brian

LOL.....when I was in Ireland last September the Orange dongle /phone ( I'm on contract too ) didn't at all so I used free wifi at pubs and cafes. And yes not really " free" winks

Last edited by Minniesmum on Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sp)
Minniesmum

Female

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Wingrider8368 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:06 pm

I am looking to change my phone and thinking of going with 3 as they are offering "all you can eat, data" more text messaging a month than I would use and more minutes than I get at the moment with Vodaphone, for less money and with an IPhone 5, that I can use as a wifi link for my 'pad. ( Vodaphone are wanting to give me a IPhone 4S ) I think that, like that, I would be fairly well set up for when we are away.
What do you think of that idea?
I would be interested to know, if anyone uses 3, how they get on with that system around the UK

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Talisman
Vehicle Year : 2004

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:27 am

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

If that's the device I think it is, you need a fast broadband connection as it uses an internet link back to Vodaphone to provide the mobile phone service. That being the case, not a lot of use when out and about I'm afraid.

SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:44 am

For a number of years I had a Vodafone payg (non expiring credit) dongle which was not a lot of use but I put it down to vodafones very patchy 3g coverage as was the iphone which was useless anyway, and then the Desire was not brilliant on voda, but the same Desire with an O2 sim card in was brilliant.

A few years ago I was was 3 and they were ok to deal with but relied on orange for 2g coverage and that didnt work as it should. On this forum and another I saw they they had improved their coverage so bought one of their payg mifi routers last year. I have to say its been brilliant and upto now has not failed to pick up a signal and hold onto (something the voda dongle couldnt do)

When my phone contract finished with vodafone I moved to O2 and the coverage change was brilliant with the Desire set in wifi or tether mode. I could have gone to O2 for the same mifi unit but 3 were offering a better package at the time.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:19 pm

SteveUK wrote:

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

If that's the device I think it is, you need a fast broadband connection as it uses an internet link back to Vodaphone to provide the mobile phone service. That being the case, not a lot of use when out and about I'm afraid.

Oh sensored1 sensored1 !! tap_fingers

Thanks for that. up!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sambamobile

Post by Groper on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:35 pm

Anyone tried this service? http://www.sambamobile.com/home/aboutsambamobile.
I only want internet access whilst on the move to check emails and d/l a few podcasts etc.
So I opened the piggy bank and squandered £20 rolleyes
You have to watch censored! adverts to acquire FREE access to 3G.
3G signal in our area is patchy but I can get a signal (a bit slow).
Tested and able to d/l etc.
The system was recommended by MartinsMoneyExpert website for occasional users(and a £5 discount on the dongle/card).

Not sure I should have posted it in this area but I am sure it will be moved if in wrong area.

Last edited by Groper on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Might not be in right forum)
Groper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:59 pm

Try this link:

http://www.sambamobile.com/home/aboutsambamobile

I think the full stop at the end fooled me.

Looks good.

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: