SOMEONE IS EDITING MY POSTS! WHY?

Go down

SOMEONE IS EDITING MY POSTS! WHY?

Post by Dutto on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:01 pm

Hi there,

For the first time today I noticed that someone had edited a Post that I had already submitted!

The editing was to remove a comment that would be regarded by most people as funny (I ran it past Helen before I hit the send button).

It was not Political, Rude or Offensive but it did highlight the potential for intolerance in other people.

I would like to ask:

1) Who can edit Posts?

2) Why was my post edited?

3) How often does this happen?

I have to point out that the sentence that was edited out was aimed at a post by a Moderator.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: SOMEONE IS EDITING MY POSTS! WHY?

Post by Minniesmum on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Am wondering too Ian scratch head
Minniesmum

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:53 pm

Hi Ian - It wasn't me, honest!

But this type of query does come up surprisingly often on the various (actually, excessive number of) forums that I frequent. And the answer is generally the same. Forums are not democratic institutions - they are owned, and whoever owns them sets the rules, and applies them as they wish. If an individual member doesn't like that, tough!

My own general rule as a forum member is: Don't try to take on the moderators - you won't win.

(The above are just my opinions based on observation. As you can see from my account status, I'm just another "forum member" here, with no priveleges whatsoever.)
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 18
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:04 pm

When any person joins a forum you agree at the time of signing up to abide by the rules, any moderator or admin of a forum can edit or delete content which they deem inappropriate.
No biggie its not personal on anyone its done in what mods/admin deem the best for the forum.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

View user profile http://www.motorhomewild.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:06 pm

This moderator - not guilty, and unlike other sites we do have a policy on here on what we do and dont do, laid down by Admin and if it was a bit iffy the poster would be notified.

What was the post Ian and what did the edit note at the bottom say ? PM me if you prefer

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:32 pm

Ian

As Robbie has correctly pointed out the forum staff have the right to edit or remove the content of any posts for whatever reason. I know exactly which post you are referring to as it was ME that edited it. The reason was that your comment was deemed personal. Any action like this is taken at our discretion and is not up for debate as stated in the forum rules.

Admin.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

View user profile http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Anybody looked at the ROGUES GALLERY

Now if ever posts needed to be deleted!!!!

hugegrins

PB

and no, I won't be posting any pics! snigger
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:41 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:Anybody looked at the ROGUES GALLERY

Now if ever posts needed to be deleted!!!!

hugegrins

PB

and no, I won't be posting any pics! snigger
Coward winks hugegrins
Minniesmum

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer on Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:42 pm

Yep, that's me smile!

PB
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:40 pm

Admin wrote:Ian

As Robbie has correctly pointed out the forum staff have the right to edit or remove the content of any posts for whatever reason. I know exactly which post you are referring to as it was ME that edited it. The reason was that your comment was deemed personal. Any action like this is taken at our discretion and is not up for debate as stated in the forum rules.

Admin.

Admin,

I appreciate that forum staff have "rights" but in this case I believe that the Moderator concerned did it to protect himself.

Having made a rather objectionable statement he erased the response that brought him to task in what I and my good lady (who gave it the OK before I posted it) thought was a rather jocular manner.

The comment wasn't rude, it wasn't political and it certainly wasn't abusive; but it was cutting and I do not believe this is a reason for it to have been erased!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:06 am

Ian

I have PM'd you earlier this evening giving you reasons as to why the post was edited. This is NOT up for debate, get over it - I have better things to do with my time and this is starting to become very tiring. Do not criticise the staff of this forum or the way we run this site or tell us what we should or shouldn't do. If you continue with this confrontational behaviour you will be removed.

Admin.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:11 am

Admin wrote:Ian

I have PM'd you earlier this evening giving you reasons as to why the post was edited. This is NOT up for debate, get over it - I have better things to do with my time and this is starting to become very tiring. Do not criticise the staff of this forum or the way we run this site or tell us what we should or shouldn't do. If you continue with this confrontational behaviour you will be removed.

Admin.

I have had only four PM's today all from Minniesmum!

With regard to:
Do not criticise the staff of this forum or the way we run this site or tell us what we should or shouldn't do.

I responded to an objectionable post made by one of the Members of this Forum. The Post wasn't made as a Moderator and the fact that a person is a Moderator should't protect him from criticism! allthumbz

I doubt very much that the section of the "Rules" that govern this was written to allow Moderators to Post objectionable material without receiving negative comments on their Posts.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:19 am

You will find the rules here, please note the fourth paragraph http://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t1053-our-forum-rules

I did send a PM earlier this evening, have just checked my outbox and there is no record of the PM sent so apologies for this blip.

Admin.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:35 am

Hi there,

I have broken NONE of the Rules. (Apart from Capitals in the Header.)

As far as I am aware, the Rules were NOT configured to allow a Moderator to make an objectionable Post and then be free from criticism.

If a Moderator makes an inflammatory statement in a Post what are we supposed to do? Ignore it?

I personally believe that it would be remiss of me to not comment on it; and I think it unreasonable that a Moderator should be allowed to hide behind rules made for other reasons to dodge any criticism.

I would like to point out that I am still within the rules because I am NOT telling you how to run the Forum. I am just requesting clarification as to whether or not the Moderators themselves are supposed to stay within the established rules.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin on Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:13 am

The part of your post that YOU typed (not the moderator) was removed by me for the following reason and just in case you cant remember went something like; "CC you were obviously not brought up to respect your elders" is this not correct? So by removing this, I'm trying to deflect any further tension and nothing more.

I have spent a considerable part of my evening editing posts, answering and sending PM's and don't feel that I should need to deal with or account for nonsense like this at 1am in the morning after a days work. This is not up for further discussion Ian as previously pointed out.

Admin.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:54 am

Admin wrote:The part of your post that YOU typed (not the moderator) was removed by me for the following reason and just in case you cant remember went something like; "CC you were obviously not brought up to respect your elders" is this not correct? So by removing this, I'm trying to deflect any further tension and nothing more.

I have spent a considerable part of my evening editing posts, answering and sending PM's and don't feel that I should need to deal with or account for nonsense like this at 1am in the morning after a days work. This is not up for further discussion Ian as previously pointed out.

Admin.

Hi there,

Before any of this kicked off, I actually had a PM that thanked me for taking CC to task and ironically I didn't even notice that the sentence you mention had been removed!

In CC's original Post he pointed out that he was 48 years of age, suggested that elderly people shouldn't get discounts and asked why they did. I provided him with two very relevant reasons.

However, CC also asked "Do disabled people get discounts and if not why not?" and my response to this was doctored.

The response that was removed read "As far as I know 'No". Why? Probably because some able bodied 48 year old person would object." lol4 lol4 lol4

If CC (or any other Member of the Forum) chooses to Post inflammatory statements they must expect to get responses that dent their dignity. wave

I agree. The matter is now closed.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS As already stated in other Threads "Many thanks for all the effort you put into the Forum." allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CC on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:25 pm

Think we need to clear up some of this dutto

Dutto wrote:In CC's original Post he pointed out that he was 48 years of age, suggested that elderly people shouldn't get discounts and asked why they did. I provided him with two very relevant reasons.

At NO point did I suggest that elderly people shouldn't get discounts!
I was merely encouraging discussion on whether other members thought it was "FAIR" (definition of fair: Just to all parties; impartial or reasonable) that senior members get the same pitch at a cheaper rate than me?

Dutto wrote:However, CC also asked "Do disabled people get discounts and if not why not?" and my response to this was doctored.

Not by me it wasn't shrugg

Dutto wrote:The response that was removed read "As far as I know 'No". Why? Probably because some able bodied 48 year old person would object." lol4 lol4 lol4

OK this is obviously aimed directly at me... Firstly, you know nothing about me dutto... How do you know for example I don't have disability's? And to answer your question I would not object to a disabled person getting a discount, just as I don't object to elderly people getting discounts. Just to clarify again I was talking about the fairness of such in a country of equality that we are allegedly supposed to live in shrugg

Dutto wrote:If CC (or any other Member of the Forum) chooses to Post inflammatory statements they must expect to get responses that dent their dignity. wave

For the record my dignity has not been dented shrugg

Dutto wrote:I agree. The matter is now closed.

As far as I was concerned it was closed already....

I wish to add that I think I've been treated very harshly over this... Firstly, when I posted I apologised in advance if any members found my comments offensive. I mentioned equality and only asked others opinions as to the fairness of discounts based on ones age... to lighten the mood I made reference to throwing my toys out of the pram shrugg

Response No1 from Petern commented on the "kind of mindless abuse from cruizingcomet"
Response No2 from Andygump called me an "ignorant loudmouth" and suggested I was waging a war against the elderly confused0

Both of these responses were aimed directly to me.. My comments were aimed at a majority not an individual and as a result if anyone was being abused it was me... both these responses totally missed the point I was trying to make confused0

Dutto, as the Co-Founder of this forum I've been here since day 1 of the forum launching and I will still be here long after you are gone, something you may wish to ponder on. Don't single me out again and criticise me when we all have to listen to your tireless political rants which have received numerous complaints over the past few months.

Dutto wrote:The matter is now closed.

It is now wave

CC

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum