The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleaning the roof of my Symphony... ??

+3
Dutto
-mojo-
Minniesmum
7 posters

Go down

Cleaning the roof of my Symphony... ?? Empty Cleaning the roof of my Symphony... ??

Post by Minniesmum Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:01 pm

I'm really not into housework... REALLY.... snigger but every time I look out onto my van roof from upstairs in my house, I see green......likely algae... on the roof around the vent and aerial... ughh. No way can I reach it to clean- no ladders, can't do heights. Other than taking the van back to the caravan place who did the habitation check and asking them to sort it....how do folk clean the roof area ? More like.. how do you reach it ?

Female

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Cleaning the roof of my Symphony... ?? Empty Re: Cleaning the roof of my Symphony... ??

Post by -mojo- Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:49 pm

I don't really like ladders, so I only do mine once a year, using one of the 4-way folding ladders to get enough height.

I dislike ladders so much that I bought a 5m scaffold tower so that I could wash the windows and clear the gutters at the back of the house!

A short scaffold tower might be an option for you, but a lot of faff, and you have to store it somewhere (though the parts for a lightweight tower aren't actually that big). Don't know if something like this would be tall enough?:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Cleaning the roof of my Symphony... ?? Empty Re: Cleaning the roof of my Symphony... ??

Post by Dutto Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:23 am

Hi there,

With the three perspex hoods of the skylights, the aerial for the radio, the satellite dish and its cable (complete with "sticky" anchors) the bit of free roof space on "Petal" hardly seems to be worth cleaning.

I have only washed "Petal" once (back in May I think it was) and when scrubbing the roof with a soft brush dipped in detergent I managed to tear off one of the "sticky" anchors that hold the satellite cable in place!

Add on to that ....

o I can't normally see it. and,

o A bit of dirt (or algae) isn't going to do any lasting damage.

... and these are the reasons why in the future I only ever intend to clean to the "curvy" bit where the roof disappears from view.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS May we all presume, that as you are thinking of washing the roof in this wet and miserable weather, you have already finished the "new bedding project"; and we can look forward to photographs? Whistle1

drinksallround
Ian

Last edited by Dutto on Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add PS)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:04 am

Thanks both for your input. I'll leave it for now as long as the algae isn't affecting anything. Certainly not climbing ladders or buying scaffolding....and Ian-.the bedding project is still in the planning stages-Ive hardly been at home lately and need to set up my sewing machine for starters !

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:20 am

Minniesmum wrote:........... the bedding project is still in the planning stages-Ive hardly been at home lately and need to set up my sewing machine for starters !

Sewing Machine??

You youngsters have it too easy!!

I hand stitched the white cover you see on the top of the cabin, plus a load of sun-shade covers; and I still darn my own socks!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What better way to spend these long dark nights than sitting there with a bit of cloth, thimble, needle and thread? scratch head

By the way, how is the new cooker? Still at home with the sewing machine? hugegrins hugegrins

new_year

drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:30 am

Keeping the roof clean does stop a lot of the black streaks appearing down the sides of the van, However there is no really handy way of getting up and down apart from ladders /scaffold. Could ask the local window cleaner if he wanted to do it for you.
Robbie
Robbie
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:04 pm

Robbie wrote:Keeping the roof clean does stop a lot of the black streaks appearing down the sides of the van, However there is no really handy way of getting up and down apart from ladders /scaffold. Could ask the local window cleaner if he wanted to do it for you.
what a great idea asking the local window cleaner up!

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by plattypus Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:55 pm

Our Symbol roof got really green, especially in all the bends and crevices up there. No good using a ladder as couldn't reach over to the middle. So I opened up the big skylight to max got our small indoor step ladders inside the van and climbed up so I was able to reach all the hard to get at places. Came up a treat, not embarrassed to look out from upstairs window now allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 2006 Symbol ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:06 pm

plattypus wrote:Our Symbol roof got really green, especially in all the bends and crevices up there. No good using a ladder as couldn't reach over to the middle. So I opened up the big skylight to max got our small indoor step ladders inside the van and climbed up so I was able to reach all the hard to get at places. Came up a treat, not embarrassed to look out from upstairs window now allthumbz
unfortunately my 1997 Symphony doesn't have the Skylight only the small roof vent so that's not an option for me

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:10 pm

I use Caravan Cleaner from ALDI, stand on the roof and use a long handled scrubbing brush before hosing off with a Karcher

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Nuevo Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:41 pm

Get the window cleaner to do it Minnie just dont use detergent as mentioned as it will strip the surface of any existing protection like polish or wax. Get get some wax shampoo or even better some caravan cleaner which is designed to remove the green stuff (only a skinflint would use detergents happyno )

Dave beer-drinking-smiley

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:52 am

Dutto wrote:
Minniesmum wrote:........... the bedding project is still in the planning stages-Ive hardly been at home lately and need to set up my sewing machine for starters !

Sewing Machine??

You youngsters have it too easy!!

I hand stitched the white cover you see on the top of the cabin, plus a load of sun-shade covers; and I still darn my own socks!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

What better way to spend these long dark nights than sitting there with a bit of cloth, thimble, needle and thread? scratch head

By the way, how is the new cooker? Still at home with the sewing machine? hugegrins hugegrins

new_year

drinksallround
Ian
I do mostly all hand-crafting. Quilting, spinning/knitting, leatherwork- I just completely hand-buckstitched a deerskin tunic for myself, so not shy of handiwork up! but handstitching a long boring piece of duvet cover is not my idea of fun... the machine ...well I still cannot lift anything heavy after major surgery a while back. So that project will have to wait.

Female

Back to top Go down