Roundtree Park Caravan Club Site ---- York

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Roundtree Park Caravan Club Site ---- York

Post by MrsCC on Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:34 pm

We followed the suggested directions in the Caravan Club handbook to Roundtree Park Caravan Club Site as to miss out the centre of York and to avoid low bridges. We approached the site along a single track road adjacent to the River Ouse. uncertain

We arrived at Roundtree Park Caravan Club Site around 1130. They have strict rules that no one arrives before 12 noon due to the access road being narrow. However as the site had just reopened after the recent flooding we thought they would let us in early which they did. There were several other motor homes and caravans already pitched but plenty of space left. happyyes

We booked in at reception, where the warden appeared to be new and unsure of what spiel to give us. She told us the incorrect way to park the motor home on the pitch and forgot to inform us of any site information - just as well I can read a site map! cleanglasses

We found a nice pitch backing onto Roundtree Park itself and facing the reception area so we could see the Christmas tree and lights when they were lit up later in the evening. Pitch sizes were adequate insize but appeared very close together (back to back), 86 hard-standing pitches all in one area. Lots of tarmac and shingle and very little grass or greenery, properly much greener and nicer in the summer when the trees and bushes are in leaf.

On informing the warden which pitch we were on we got the keys to toilet block, barrier card and informed of a back pedestrian access area onto vine street. This is also the evacuation gate to exit fast if flooding occurs. quick_run

The reception area, toilet blocks, information room, food prep and laundry rooms are all in the main block which is on stilts, raised up incase of flooding. They also have a disable lift in case you can’t manage the stairs.

The toilet block was immaculate with plenty of washing facilities – I counted 10 shower cubicles in all –I’ve never seen so many on a site. up!

The wardens were excellent in directing the new arrivals in, especially when several turned up at once. The site by 5pm was just about full therefore the wardens had booked in around 80 vehicles, no mean feat. doubleup

There is any dog walk on site walkies , but this wasn’t a problem as just outside the site entrance on Terrys Avenue theres a lovely walk along the riverbank ideal for walking dogs. A left turn out of the site takes you over the bridge and passed Cliffords Tower into York shopping centre, a right turn takes you passed Roundtree Park and up to and past the millennium bridge which is illuminated at night.

Unfortunately on our first night we were lovely and warm in the motorhome despite freezing conditions outside cold , but I woke early morning around 4am cool to discover our heating had gone off yikes . After waking CC to go and check the electrics hugegrins , he discovered that there was no power to the EHU bollard and the surrounding pitches appeared to be suffering with the same problem. Nothing much we could do at that time in the morning so went back to bed and kept warm! bedtime

I awoke around 730 to find other campers discussing the electric problem with a warden who was trying to sort the problem out. 8am the electrics were back on apparently 1/3rd of the site had suffered a power loss. No reasons given to the cause. dunno

Early afternoon on return from a walk into York, we discovered that we didn’t have any TV stations yikes (not the end of the world I know) CC tried re-tuning the telly without success; only to find later in the day after talking with the wardens, that a circuit breaker had gone resulting in the lost of the TV booster yikes . This was eventually fixed. However around 3.30pm the electrics’ went off again. This continues for the next hour or so with the wardens attempting to resolve the issue which by 5pm they appeared to have succeeded. up! However this left us with out TV again as they didn’t reset the TV booster.

The following morning we moved to another area of the site where there were no problems with the electric nor TV booster. allthumbz

Would we return to this site? if we were visiting York itself, this site is an idea site to stay as its within walking distance to the centre, but exploring the wider location then an alternative site would be better placed ie Beechwood Grange just outside of York.

MrsCC

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Chocolate Factories

Post by Peter Brown on Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:21 am

York was a big source of chocolates.

Terry Avenue is named for Terry's chocolates. The York factory is long gone and the chocolate oranges now made in Poland.

The ROWNTREE family built chocolate factories in York, They have been owned by Nestle since the '80s. The Rowntree family were great philanthropists and did much for the York area including donating Rowntree Park (not the CC site) to the city.

The CC's were very lucky to get on the site and bearing in mind the very extensive recent flooding should not be suprised that there were some outstanding electrical issues.

A wonderful location and site - I just wish that in normal circumstances you didn't have to book a year in advance to get on it.

Peter
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Roundtree Park Caravan Club Site ---- York

Post by whisky on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:10 am

Could not agree more. up!

Rowntree is a fabulous site. allthumbz

The down side. shrugg

Get ready to book a pitch on New Years Day when the years bookings start. quick_run

Or you won't get on next year. so_sad

Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:20 am

In that case you're probably too late already - booking opened on 5th December!
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:25 am

whisky wrote:The down side. shrugg

Get ready to book a pitch on New Years Day when the years bookings start. quick_run

Or you won't get on next year. so_sad

Whisky. champagne
To me, the beauty of having a motorhome is being able to go where I want, when I want. The thought of booking a site a year in advance leaves me cold.

We've stayed at Naburn Lock a couple of times and gone into York on the waterbus, we've also walked in from there too.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsCC on Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:39 am

We were lucky we only booked up a couple of weeks in advance smile! , I suspect due to a cancellation. Looking at the availability today on site, theres spaces this week and on Christmas / Boxing day.

So if you want time away in York be quick. quick_run

MrsCC

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:59 pm

Hi

I went on the Caravan Club website on the 5th December to book at Roundtree Park 3 hours after the opening of booking system. Most of the full week ends had gone for the year but I got 6 nights during week in May. hugegrins

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Topaz 2.0 2014

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Waves117 on Sat Dec 22, 2012 5:04 pm

Thought I'd have a look and noticed the site is closed again (since yesterday) due to flooding. Not due to open until 16th January 2013. so_sad

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : TRIDENT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum