My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:55 pm

Since getting Symphony on the road late September, I've been experimenting with different sleeping arrangements regards bed layout and bedding. This takes into account comfort as in width of bed, softness/ firmness, warmth of course, storage during the day, etc. As a solo camper the sleep permutations are great so no worries there. Regards bedding. I love down duvets and have them at home. Also love flanellette duvet covers and altho not essential, like a memory foam topper underneath. Love the concept of the Duvalay but not the fabric used in the covers or the synthetic duvets. So I thought- I have all the materials to make my own all in one bed. I've done the measurements and my double flanellette duvet cover will be the "container ". One third for the memory foam and two thirds to contain my down duvet ( I have a duo set- 4.5 plus 10.5 togs). I've also worked out the width to make the foam topper so that it can be used on the settee during the day to free up storage space in the overhead locker. So much for design.....now I need to get myself home and get the sewing machine out ! Watch this space up!
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by DuxDeluxe on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:57 pm

Looking forward to seing the results, some really nice materials with the Duvalay idea and you're on to a winner allthumbz
avatar
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 842
Joined : 2011-04-12
Member Age : 63
Location : Suffolk
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by CC on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:10 pm

No reason why you can't come up with something fairly decent and much cheaper, look forward to seeing the finished result. up!

_________________
Get a life..... Get an Auto-Sleeper!
avatar
CC
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 3413
Joined : 2011-02-05
Member Age : 52
Location : North Norfolk
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks up! this project will cost me.....nothing hugegrins because I am just using/modifying the items that I already have at home.
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by CC on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Is this going to be the prototype for the "Minnielay" winks


_________________
Get a life..... Get an Auto-Sleeper!
avatar
CC
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 3413
Joined : 2011-02-05
Member Age : 52
Location : North Norfolk
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:53 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Is this going to be the prototype for the "Minnielay" winks

LOL. This IS a family forum winks hugegrins
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by CC on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:11 pm

Minniesmum wrote:
CruizingComet wrote:Is this going to be the prototype for the "Minnielay" winks

LOL. This IS a family forum winks hugegrins


blushes

OK.... Say no more see_hear_saynowt

snigger

_________________
Get a life..... Get an Auto-Sleeper!
avatar
CC
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 3413
Joined : 2011-02-05
Member Age : 52
Location : North Norfolk
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Dutto on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:27 pm

Cath,

With regard to sleeping layout on the Duetto I find that the pull-out bit on the driver's side is the widest, longest, warmest (with feet at the driver's seat end) and most comfortable; which is probably why I have convinced Helen that the bed near the sliding door is just right for someone slimmer, tougher and fitter than myself! Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

_________________
Dutto - Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed!
avatar
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 7865
Joined : 2011-06-14
Location : Lincolnshire
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by -mojo- on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:25 am

I'm also interested to see how you get on with this. Until recently I had been taking my 13 TOG double down duvet which is great because I hate being confined in a sleeping bag, but it takes up a massive amount of space! Even with a lot of pushing and shoving it still takes up around half of the huge over-cab locker.

For next year I've bought a Gelert Sleeping Pod (the XL version) which gives loads of space to move, but is nowhere near warm enough for anything other than summer use. I can't now decide whether to get another one, and use it inside the one I have - but that's starting to get as big as the double duvet!

It sounds like what you're planning would roll up quite well, which would be good in a VW-style "rock-n-roll" layout, as it would just roll up and drop down behind the bed during the day, though I don't think it would work quite like that in a Symphony...
avatar
-mojo-
Member
Member

Male

Posts : 3724
Joined : 2012-08-04
Member Age : 18
Location : Southeast
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:52 am

-mojo- wrote:I'm also interested to see how you get on with this. Until recently I had been taking my 13 TOG double down duvet which is great because I hate being confined in a sleeping bag, but it takes up a massive amount of space! Even with a lot of pushing and shoving it still takes up around half of the huge over-cab locker.

For next year I've bought a Gelert Sleeping Pod (the XL version) which gives loads of space to move, but is nowhere near warm enough for anything other than summer use. I can't now decide whether to get another one, and use it inside the one I have - but that's starting to get as big as the double duvet!

It sounds like what you're planning would roll up quite well, which would be good in a VW-style "rock-n-roll" layout, as it would just roll up and drop down behind the bed during the day, though I don't think it would work quite like that in a Symphony...
I don't like being confined in a sleeping bag either. Also I have a houseful of duvets, covers and nemory foam at home and am loathe to spend any more money on bedding when with a bit of planning and experimentation, should be able to put something together that does the job. I don't REALLY need the memory foam so could start with making a duvalay type cover , put the 4.5 tog down duvet in the base ( instead of the memory foam ) and the 10.5 tog one in the top. At least then it wouldn't take up any more space than it currently does. It will be closed across the bottom and open down one side like the Duvalay. Still plotting winks
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by DuxDeluxe on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:56 am

"Minnielay" - I suppose someone just had to come up with at one ............ biggrin

Seriously, my only thought was finding long enough zips (haute couture not being my strong point) but I suppose that normal duvet type poppers might do the trick.

Cath, you will have to get that famous camera of yours to work and take a few photos of the end result complete with instructions. Cheers, from a sunny but rather cold Suffolk.. up!
avatar
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 842
Joined : 2011-04-12
Member Age : 63
Location : Suffolk
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:59 am

DuxDeluxe wrote:"Minnielay" - I suppose someone just had to come up with at one biggrin
or Cathalay. winks ( as I'm a Cath.... )
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:04 am

DuxDeluxe wrote:"Minnielay" - I suppose someone just had to come up with at one ............ biggrin

Seriously, my only thought was finding long enough zips (haute couture not being my strong point) but I suppose that normal duvet type poppers might do the trick.

Cath, you will have to get that famous camera of yours to work and take a few photos of the end result complete with instructions. Cheers, from a sunny but rather cold Suffolk.. up!
I will provide photographic evidence up! hugegrins from a very frosty Berwick campsite- heading back
K home shortly smile!
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:07 am

Regards zips- I won't use them. Will be poppers or velcro tabs or even ties. Zips are a faff on to install.
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by DuxDeluxe on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:16 am

Ah, thanks - that answered the question. Normal poppers would be the best bet, I suppose, but I personally like the "continuity" of the zip when moving around in my Duvalay otherwise I might stick my foot through the side or something. Probably wont happen in real life, though.

Just for you, I am off sick at the moment and.........."heir hunters" is on the telly. winks
avatar
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 842
Joined : 2011-04-12
Member Age : 63
Location : Suffolk
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:20 am

DuxDeluxe wrote:Ah, thanks - that answered the question. Normal poppers would be the best bet, I suppose, but I personally like the "continuity" of the zip when moving around in my Duvalay otherwise I might stick my foot through the side or something. Probably wont happen in real life, though.

Just for you, I am off sick at the moment and.........."heir hunters" is on the telly. winks
soory you aren't so well. Enjoy HH up! re zip- a long velcro strip might be the answer ....
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by DuxDeluxe on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:30 am

Thanks for the good wishes. Sorry if being a pain, but would a long Velcro strip not be awkward in doing up and undoing and also washing? Just based on my own experiences of washing my wetsuit boots with Velcro strips for securing and they are only about 12" long. Even putting them face to face they still get tangled with everything in the wash......... Any domestic Velcro washing tips most welcome! smile!
avatar
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 842
Joined : 2011-04-12
Member Age : 63
Location : Suffolk
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:34 am

DuxDeluxe wrote:Thanks for the good wishes. Sorry if being a pain, but would a long Velcro strip not be awkward in doing up and undoing and also washing? Just based on my own experiences of washing my wetsuit boots with Velcro strips for securing and they are only about 12" long. Even putting them face to face they still get tangled with everything in the wash......... Any domestic Velcro washing tips most welcome! smile!
I agree on the tangling issues with velcro. My wetsuit back neck fastening is a pain in the butt to get to lay flat. Thinking cap on......
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by DuxDeluxe on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:48 am

Strange subject for a middle aged bloke to be interested in...... but I suppose that it appeals to the technical nature of many of us of both genders on here as well as being a practical motorhoming issue. I got a Duvalay and really like it apart from the low quality duvet and the actual material used but then again as something simple for a sozzled dinghy sailor to fall into, it is ideal. Never heard of anyone trying it for themselves and it is really quite easy to do with better quality materials for half the price or less (how many of us have decent duvets lying around un-used?). A great idea, Cath........

I suppose the reason that full length zips are used is to provide that robustness required when actually sleeping and turning over in one; if you think about how you turn over in bed etc (sort of grabbing a handful of duvet as you go) then perhaps poppers would come undone. It could be sewn with the poppers on the outsides of both the memory foam bit and the duvet bit, but then you would only be able to use it one way - the Duvalay can be simply turned around and used either hand. Thinking about it, the Duvalay is much cleverer than I originally thought it was.

Looking forward to the photos of your work allthumbz
avatar
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 842
Joined : 2011-04-12
Member Age : 63
Location : Suffolk
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Dutto on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:03 am

Minniesmum wrote:.............. or velcro tabs or even ties. Zips are a faff on to install.

Hi there,

Good luck with the Velcro. allthumbz

If only they could invent a Velcro that just had "eyes" on either end!! wave

I cut off the tab at the top of my latest sleeping bag as I found that when the "hook" end of the Velcro wasn't in use it tried to grab me (usually under my arm-pit) or it grabbed on to some innocent bit of kit like a sock and took it into the sack when I packed it away! tap_fingers

It was like living with an over active ferret! best_friends

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

_________________
Dutto - Living more in hope than expectation; and seldom disappointed!
avatar
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 7865
Joined : 2011-06-14
Location : Lincolnshire
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by DuxDeluxe on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:19 am

hugegrins at the velcro description............ spot on!
avatar
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Posts : 842
Joined : 2011-04-12
Member Age : 63
Location : Suffolk
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:54 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:Strange subject for a middle aged bloke to be interested in...... but I suppose that it appeals to the technical nature of many of us of both genders on here as well as being a practical motorhoming issue. I got a Duvalay and really like it apart from the low quality duvet and the actual material used but then again as something simple for a sozzled dinghy sailor to fall into, it is ideal. Never heard of anyone trying it for themselves and it is really quite easy to do with better quality materials for half the price or less (how many of us have decent duvets lying around un-used?). A great idea, Cath........

I suppose the reason that full length zips are used is to provide that robustness required when actually sleeping and turning over in one; if you think about how you turn over in bed etc (sort of grabbing a handful of duvet as you go) then perhaps poppers would come undone. It could be sewn with the poppers on the outsides of both the memory foam bit and the duvet bit, but then you would only be able to use it one way - the Duvalay can be simply turned around and used either hand. Thinking about it, the Duvalay is much cleverer than I originally thought it was.

Looking forward to the photos of your work allthumbz
thanks up! I don't dispute the design of the Duvalay- clever. But not impressed as I've already said, by the quality of materials and stitching. Flanellette is so warm and cozy. And down duvets can't be beaten for warmth and compressibility. And they aren't as expensive as they used to be. I do have a couple of spare duvets and a flanellette double duvet cover ( years old but still good ). So use them I shall to construct something comfortable that fits me and fits my van. I only really need fasteners across the bottom as Ill leave the cover open down one side. Leaning more towards the popper idea atm. up!


Last edited by Minniesmum on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:59 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : sp)
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by CC on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:19 pm

Agree with Dux when taking out the duvet to wash the covers it doesn't look anything special, but in fairness to Raskelf I have to say even though we have the summer lightweight tog it's more than sufficient at keeping us toasty in fact I frequently get too warm even when it's cold..... But it's so comfortable i don't think I could do without one now! You could be onto a cottage industry with these Cath, get it right and you might be able to sell a few if you can make them cheap enough wellhappy

_________________
Get a life..... Get an Auto-Sleeper!
avatar
CC
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 3413
Joined : 2011-02-05
Member Age : 52
Location : North Norfolk
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by Minniesmum on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:29 pm

CruizingComet wrote:Agree with Dux when taking out the duvet to wash the covers it doesn't look anything special, but in fairness to Raskelf I have to say even though we have the summer lightweight tog it's more than sufficient at keeping us toasty in fact I frequently get too warm even when it's cold..... But it's so comfortable i don't think I could do without one now! You could be onto a cottage industry with these Cath, get it right and you might be able to sell a few if you can make them cheap enough wellhappy
thanks but all I want is something to keep me warm and comfortable in my van. No intentions of anything more than that. Good on Raskelf for making a great design up!
avatar
Minniesmum
Member
Member

Female

Posts : 407
Joined : 2012-09-20
Member Age : 63
Location : north-east England (Teesside)
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: My customised Motorhome bedding.....

Post by CC on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Would think they have some kind of patent on them especially with Hilary Devey on board, but not sure if they could actually stop anyone making a similar product. I have seen a similar kind of thing but a lesser quality at some of the shows, my biggest gripe with the Duvalay is the cost of replacement covers and pillow cases, and I definitely think they should include a pillow case as standard (if Raskelf read this) afterall you don't buy a duvet set for your home bedding minus the pillow cases shrugg


_________________
Get a life..... Get an Auto-Sleeper!
avatar
CC
Moderator
Moderator

Male

Posts : 3413
Joined : 2011-02-05
Member Age : 52
Location : North Norfolk
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum