The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel Prices

+8
mikethebike
boxerman
DuxDeluxe
Paulmold
dandywarhol
shelldrake
Stewart John
Dave 418
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Fuel Prices - Page 2 Empty So there I am on a French motorway ...

Post by Dutto Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:17 pm

..... and the little yellow petrol pump appears. wave

This is not a problem as I know I have at least 30 miles in reserve ... but it seemed to come on really early as I have only done 380 miles since I last filled up and the gauge says nearly a quarter full.

The sign says 20kms to the next filling station and we have 50kms (30 miles) to get to where we are due to turn off. up!

I decide to go for the next turn off to avoid the horrendous price of diesel (€1.52 a litre) on French motorways. allthumbz

One yard past the turn-off to the filling station:
o The gauge drops to a gnat's whisker above "Empty".
o Helen says "Did you fill the tank to the top the last time?" (Answer "No. The little girl at the filling station filled it!")
o Helen says "Will the fact that we are towing a trailer make a difference?" (Answer "Yes!!")
o Helen says "And we were stuck in that traffic-jam for quite a while as well so that will make a difference won't it?" (Answer "Yes!")

I drop the speed to 40mph to conserve as much fuel as possible, hit the GPS for the nearest fuel (Auchan in Poitiers) and start to sweat.

We make it to the turn-off so motorway breakdown prices are now not a problem; we make it to where I can see the Auchan sign so Helen can push us from here (!!) and the GPS says we only have 300 metres to go when ......

.... Helen says "There's the filling station. Turn right." even though the GPS says take the next exit from the roundabout. I turn right and discover that I am on one side of dual-carriageway and the filling station is on the other side!!! This is NOT a problem because now it is all Helen's fault if we run out of fuel! allthumbz allthumbz

I creep to the roundabout at the end of the dual-carriageway and then creep back into the filling station where I fill up with .............

Fuel Prices - Page 2 IMG_0683

...... which is pretty good going because Ford reckon that the Transit only has a 65 litre tank!!!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian
PS Please feel free to sob piteously at the price of diesel in France!!! lol4 lol4

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Fuel Prices - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel Prices

Post by DuxDeluxe Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Thank goodness we don't have a smug icon....... come to think of it, my car's last fill was Auchan Calais at much the same price up!
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:08 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:Thank goodness we don't have a smug icon....... come to think of it, my car's last fill was Auchan Calais at much the same price up!

I wouldn't dare!!! wellhappy wellhappy wellhappy

Especially as Skegness Morrisons is 139.9p (€1.73) per litre and we are now here for the winter!!!! tap_fingers tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Fuel Prices - Page 2 Empty Fuel Prices

Post by murph Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi All,
There was a long thread on this subject on this forum some months ago, and towards the end one member posted that he normally bought his fuel at a Tesco station, one day the Tesco station was very busy so he bought fuel at the Shell station across the road a penny dearer, But he reconned that his fuel consumption improved noticably on the shell fuel aginst Tesco's. This as was discussed on the thread caused by supermarkets using cheaper additives, hence cheaper at the pump( the basic fuel is the same) and it is what is added to the fuel before sale that has a bearing on fuel consumption not the fuel as supplied from the distillation plant to the distribution depot.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Best if I don't comment then..........
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe