Last typewriter to be made in Britain

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Last typewriter to be made in Britain

Post by CC on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:37 pm

The end of an era! Last typewriter to be made in Britain comes off production line - and goes straight into a museum. Brother's last one is sent to the Science Museum to be displayed as an artefact. The museum said the piece represented the end of a technology which had been "important to so many lives". After 130 years it is has finally become a victim of the computer-dominated world as Brother said demand in Britain had fallen to the point where it was no longer financially viable to keep making them.

boo

Just wondered how other members feel about the demise of the "Typewriter" as Brother ceases production and sends it's last typewriter to the science museum. I started off typing my business letterheads on a Brother typewriter in the 80's before getting an electronic Sharp model which seemed so much nicer to use and much more luxurious in ease of use and quality of the output... That was until my first computer system arrived which was coincidently a Brother branded system and a mono Epson printer which was added a little while later when I could afford it... can others remember that you could only afford mono printers back then? This combination made my typewriter obsolete overnight and made life so much easier...

it's sad in a way that there is no demand today for the humble old typewriter twiddle_thumbs

Male

Member Age : 52
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

View user profile http://www.autosleeperforum.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Re: Last typewriter to be made in Britain

Post by Dutto on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:39 pm

CruizingComet wrote:The end of an era! Last typewriter to be made in Britain comes off production line - and goes straight into a museum. Brother's last one is sent to the Science Museum to be displayed as an artefact. The museum said the piece represented the end of a technology which had been "important to so many lives". After 130 years it is has finally become a victim of the computer-dominated world as Brother said demand in Britain had fallen to the point where it was no longer financially viable to keep making them.

boo

Hi there,

I saw the programme and felt really sad.

My only genuine typewriter was an "Imperial" portable purchased in 1962 to type up my notes as a Probationary Constable in the police. I threw it away sometime around 1980. wave

However, the last time I used a manual typewriter was in 1970 after which I moved on to either a "daisy-wheel" or a "golf-ball" electric typewriter. (I still remember my own amazement at the "correction ribbon" and how I could chuck the Tippex away!) up!

I'm afraid that I also have a rather cynical view of the fact that until yesterday morning a UK company was still making something that actually became obsolete over 40 years ago!! tap_fingers tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Last edited by Dutto on Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Maths!!!)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum