The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

** Warning Bad Language **

+5
Dutto
SAB67246
dandywarhol
andygump
Admin
9 posters

Go down

** Warning Bad Language ** Empty ** Warning Bad Language **

Post by Admin Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:52 am

I am disappointed to have to reinforce this rule but despite numerous requests for members not to use bad language my past requests seem to have been ignored. I'm tired of editing posts every single day where members repeatedly use bad language or make attempts to soften certain words by using other characters to get over our swearing filters, we introduced a censored icon sometime ago when this first became a problem and this is now being abused by adding letters after the icon making it clear what that actual intended swear word is. THIS STOPS NOW!

No swearing please - No coarse language - Not even the mildest swear words are allowed.

We aim to be a friendly site and we want everyone to feel comfortable here.
There are words we all know which technically might not be considered swearing. Please don't use them.
They might not be actual swear words, but they are equally offensive to many.

Please don't try to fool the censor feature by using abbreviations or acronyms for swear words or by purposefully misspelling a swear word. You may not post words that are censored by adding spaces, dots, or substituting characters, in an attempt to defeat any censors put in place by this Web Site. Using an abbreviation for a swear word is just as unacceptable as if you had posted the entire word and will no longer be tolerated.

As a member of this forum if you do not abide this rule then you will receive a warning
further instances will be met with a temporary ban, after this you will receive a permanent ban.

Please contact us if you feel strongly that a word is unjustly censored.

I would urge any member that reads a post where bad language has been used, or you feel the post is inappropriate, to use the 'report post icon' reporting the member so Staff can take action.

Admin.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

** Warning Bad Language ** Empty Sad day

Post by andygump Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:56 pm

Hi

What a sad day it is when we have to warn members,and rightly so,about the use of bad language on this site.

Many of us guilty are of this, and unfortunately, it is becoming the acceptable norm.

I hope this shot across the bow helps to focus our minds.

Andy rolleyes rolleyes up!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

** Warning Bad Language ** Empty Re: ** Warning Bad Language **

Post by dandywarhol Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:13 pm

Why don't people just use the censored! smiley?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by SAB67246 Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Or as my grandfather used to say "Use some of the many descriptive words in the English language to express yourself without resorting to profanities and bodily functions". He used to make me explain what the swear words meant if I used any when I was a child (very embarassing)
SAB67246
SAB67246
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : 1993 Talbot Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:51 pm

Hi there,

Whenever even a mild swear word slipped out in front of my Mum she would shake her head and say "If that's the best you can do after a Grammar School education maybe we shouldn't have bothered!" ........ blushes blushes

........ and anything worse NEVER slipped out in front of my Dad because "pit language" was just not tolerated! tap_fingers

Nowadays anyone strolling down their local high street will probably hear more obscenities in fifteen minutes than I heard in the first fifteen years of my life! bow

Best regards (from a previous offender who promises to mend his ways),
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:28 pm

Dutto wrote:"If that's the best you can do after a Grammar School education maybe we shouldn't have bothered!"

Grammar school education here as well. We had a priest who surprisingly taught religious education who said the use of swear words simply showed an ignorance of the English Language. He said there enough adjectives to choose from.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

** Warning Bad Language ** Empty Swearing

Post by murph Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:57 pm

One teacher at my secondary school said simply, that having to use swear words indicated a lack of vocabulary, and I have never forgotten that comment.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:36 pm

Hi

I remember being in the General office talking to the Chief Clerk, when one of his attractive WRAF Clerks asked him "do you ever swear Chief" then without batting an eye he replied " only when it slips out". Of course the lads in the office were sniggering like mad, and when the penny dropped, her blushes were lighting up the office. smile!

Andy up!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:47 pm

murph wrote: One teacher at my secondary school said simply, that having to use swear words indicated a lack of vocabulary, and I have never forgotten that comment.

Brian2

Yep - completely agree. up!
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:52 pm

Must admit MrsCC frequently tells me off for using certain words at home, usually when I'm angry or frustrated at something..... But I think the forum is right to have a non swearing tolerance as many could be put off using the forum because of bad language, some forums do allow it and it then it just seems to become a competition to see who's brave enough to use the foulest words and who can shock the most, it doesn't make for good reading either and I'm certainly quite open minded, so I could imagine how others could find it offensive and boycot the forum which is not what we are aiming to achieve.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi there,

Swearing seems to be a cultural thing.

When I first moved to Scotland from England thirty odd years ago I was amazed at how many people (including the ladies) used what my Dad always called "pit language".

However, I think that this was more than balanced out by the fact that very few of the Scots seemed to blaspheme or "take the Lord's name in vain" which is common in England!

With regard to "pit language" my late father was about 72 years old the last time he lamped someone. As Dad admitted afterwards "Yes I was interfering and yes I am old but there is only going to be one result when someone calls me an interfering old sensored1 !"

My wife asked "What would you have done if he had got up?" to which he replied "He didn't seemed very inclined to do that duck."

Always one for the understatement! I later discovered from a mate of his that the old man had snatched up a bow-saw and said "If you get up I'll kill you!" to the man concerned!

I'm probably still here because I never used "pit language" in his presence! Whistle1 Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down