The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12V Electric blanket use ?

+5
-mojo-
brodco
Dutto
murph
Minniesmum
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

12V Electric blanket use ? Empty 12V Electric blanket use ?

Post by Minniesmum Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 pm

Just getting used to having a Leisure Battery with the Symphony as didn't have that luxury in my Doblo. So far ( off-campsite ) have benefited from the 12V lighting and the Blown-air Heating in short bursts. A question about using a 12V electric blanket. Would you just plug this straight into the 12V cig lighter thingie ? Not sure if that draws it's power from the leisure battery or not. Last thing I want to do is flatten my main Van battery... Thinking of ways of using the stored energy in the Leisure Battery whilst off EHU. up!
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Symphony

Back to top Go down

12V Electric blanket use ? Empty electric blanket

Post by murph Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:20 pm

If the cig lighter socket you are refering to is in the cab, it will be a base vehicle manufacturers fitting and runs off the starter battery, do not use your blanket off this socket. if it is fitted in the habitation area it is probably fitted by AS and is much more likley to run off the leisure battery. However I would suspect that the electical load on the battery would be so high I would not use it except when on hookup, when the battery will be recieving a charge from the on board battery charger.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

12V Electric blanket use ? Empty Re: 12V Electric blanket use ?

Post by Dutto Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:23 pm

Hi there,

May I ask what Watts are used by the blanket?? confused3

The reason I ask is that, as a general rule, using a battery to provide heat is the quickest way to a flat battery known to mankind! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:50 pm

I didn’t even know such things existed. smile!

Just Googled it. Most people don’t even tell you the consumption. Those that do seem to average 4 to 5 amps so realistically something like 10 hours from a fully charged 70AH battery I’d guess.

That’s allowing for the odd light and the fact that you don’t want to flatten the battery too much. Then you have to be in a position to fully charge the battery the next day. think_smiley_46

Might be ok for the odd night but I'd say it needs an EHU really. up!

Brod.
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks for your " observations " winks I was looking at ways of using the Leisure battery when not on EHU. I can run my Hot Air central heating ( butane ) to take the chill off but the 12 V leccie blanket I would have thought would not drain the Leisure Battery quite so fast, and I'd only want it on for a short period of time. ( spent a cold night off-site recently- and the bed was the coldest part despite down duvet etc. ).
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:10 pm

Hi there,

Assuming that you had a decent solar charger to top up the battery I suppose it would be handy to have one on a nice sunny day. Whistle1 Whistle1

Or, like my Mum (who was just full of the milk of human kindness) used to say "Cold are you? Put another sweater on then!" hugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

12V Electric blanket use ? Empty Electric blanket

Post by murph Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:29 pm

Hi Minniesmum,
May be all right for 1/2 hour to warm the bed just before getting in but not for long periods. If you are a regular winter wild camper I would suggest you have an extra leisure battery to increase the capacity, ours are fitted under the drivers and passengers seats.

Brian2

Last edited by murph on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:34 pm

murph wrote: Hi Minniesmum,
May be all right for 1/2 hour to warm the bed just before getting in but not for long periods. If you are a regular winter wild camper I would suggest you have an extra leasure to increase the capacity, ours are fitted under the drivers and passengers seat.

Brian2
Thanks Brian. up! getting a larger capacity leisure battery and possibly a second one ,are 2 of the options I've been considering..
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 am

Minniesmum wrote:getting a larger capacity leisure battery and possibly a second one ,are 2 of the options I've been considering..

In my opinion: just use more blankets! Cellular blankets are lightweight and really help.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:07 am

-mojo- wrote:
Minniesmum wrote:getting a larger capacity leisure battery and possibly a second one ,are 2 of the options I've been considering..

In my opinion: just use more blankets! Cellular blankets are lightweight and really help.

I do more camping off EHU than on- particularly in better weather so the larger capacity leisure battery will help. I have plenty of blankets. They all add more bulk and require more storage space. winks
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Back to top Go down

12V Electric blanket use ? Empty Blankets

Post by murph Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:16 am

We use 2 sleeping bags, opened out for use as duvets, 1 in summer and 2 when it is colder, these are stored in 20x20 inch cushion covers to keep them tidy, and save space when not in use. Dont need to carry lots of blankets,and we have 2 scatter cushions.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:40 pm

You can't beat a good hot-water bottle. What with that and the dog lying in my feet I'm as snug as the proverbial bug.
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Tue Nov 13, 2012 4:55 pm

Ann B wrote:You can't beat a good hot-water bottle. What with that and the dog lying in my feet I'm as snug as the proverbial bug.

Agree on the dog up! my Jack Russell was the best bed-warmer ever... miss her..
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi there,

Ah ....... the dogs!!

We had two English Springer Spaniels (Jake and Jessica) and for two winters I helped out a mate with forest protection work. We lived high up on the Scottish hills in an ancient caravan and on many mornings we woke up with frost on the inside of the windows; but I have to say that my two bed companions provided more than extra heat as the amusement value alone kept me laughing until I nodded off every night.

First, let me point out that both dogs normally lived outside in a kennel year-round, they were well used to cold weather (and had the pelts to prove it) and spent most days out on the hill working with us!

When it came to bed-time, Jake was just too big to get in between the two sleeping bags I slept in whereas Jessica could just wriggle in there if she judged the right moment when I turned over.

I would go to bed, the two dogs would jump on to the bunk and every night Jessica would pick her moment to wriggle inside, Jake would try to follow and Jessica would then start snarling at him as he made his attempt.

After about a minute or so, thoroughly defeated, Jake would then move down to my feet, lie there for a few seconds and then start to shiver as if he was being deep frozen into a hypothermic coma. He would keep up this performance until I shouted "Jake! Stop it!" at which point he would groan as if it was his last gasp and go to sleep.

God how I miss them - even after twelve years!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:30 am

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

Ah ....... the dogs!!

We had two English Springer Spaniels (Jake and Jessica) and for two winters I helped out a mate with forest protection work. We lived high up on the Scottish hills in an ancient caravan and on many mornings we woke up with frost on the inside of the windows; but I have to say that my two bed companions provided more than extra heat as the amusement value alone kept me laughing until I nodded off every night.

First, let me point out that both dogs normally lived outside in a kennel year-round, they were well used to cold weather (and had the pelts to prove it) and spent most days out on the hill working with us!

When it came to bed-time, Jake was just too big to get in between the two sleeping bags I slept in whereas Jessica could just wriggle in there if she judged the right moment when I turned over.

I would go to bed, the two dogs would jump on to the bunk and every night Jessica would pick her moment to wriggle inside, Jake would try to follow and Jessica would then start snarling at him as he made his attempt.

After about a minute or so, thoroughly defeated, Jake would then move down to my feet, lie there for a few seconds and then start to shiver as if he was being deep frozen into a hypothermic coma. He would keep up this performance until I shouted "Jake! Stop it!" at which point he would groan as if it was his last gasp and go to sleep.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Your doggie sleeping arrangements made me giggle thanks hugegrins My Jack Russell Minnie was an only dog. She slept under the duvet stretched out alongside my leg. Loved it... Now that I'm retired considering another 4-legged hot-water bottle tho still not sure....Meanwhile will stick to in-animate objects for warmth winks
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:06 am

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

Ah ....... the dogs!!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Lovely story Ian. My little dog sleeps in a crate at home, she loves it and it is refuge when she is feeling a bit off or when there are fireworks around, but when we are away she gets the treat of sleeping on the van bed. She loves it (would sleep on our bed at home if we let her) and we get the benefit of some extra warmth.
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:24 pm

Ann B wrote:

................. or when there are fireworks around, but when we are away she gets the treat of sleeping on the van bed. She loves it (would sleep on our bed at home if we let her) and we get the benefit of some extra warmth.

Hi there,

I appreciate that many dogs get frightened with fireworks or any loud bangs, but being gun-dogs Jake and Jessica weren't at all frightened.

One evening at Dunblane Hydro I happened to be out walking them when the hotel management started the Christmas Firework Display so I just stopped and with them sitting one on each foot we watched the whole display.

I have to say that on the really loud bangs they would both stand up and look up at me ready for the "Go fetch" command; and I swear that when the order didn't arrive they looked at each other with the look that said "Useless prat! He's missed it again!"

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

12V Electric blanket use ? Empty minniesmum

Post by shelldrake Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:49 pm

Me thinks its a trip to Go Outdoors for a good winter sleeping bag, wooly hat and a small Sig bottle. Use it as a hot water bottle(socks are recommended) and then for your brew in the morning. A personal Q But what do you wear in bed????that you feel the cold?
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:05 pm

[quote="shelldrake"]Me thinks its a trip to Go Outdoors for a good winter sleeping bag, wooly hat and a small Sig bottle. Use it as a hot water bottle(socks are recommended) and then for your brew in the morning. A personal Q But what do you wear in bed????that you feel the cold?[/quote

I have a ton of wooly hats and several very warm duvets thanks up! I also now have a 12 V heating pad to warm up/ dry out my bed before I crawl in. hugegrins Works a treat winks
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:17 pm

Minniesmum wrote:............ 12 V heating pad to warm up/ dry out my bed before I crawl in. hugegrins Works a treat winks

I think Tena pads would probably be a more socially acceptable option! lol4 lol4

hugegrins hugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:37 pm

A decent sleeping bag is the obvious option. Get the sort that people who go walking with their tents in the middle of winter use (4 season). If it works under canvas in sub zero temperatures then the only problem in a motorhome is that you'll overheat. The modern ones are also extremely light and pack down to nothing. £100 will get you something spectacular, but less than half that will get something which works.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:01 pm

All sorted thanks;) toasty hugegrins
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:20 pm

[quote="Dutto"]
Minniesmum wrote:............ 12 V heating pad to warm up/ dry out my bed before I crawl in. hugegrins Works a treat winks

I think Tena pads would probably be a more socially acceptable option! lol4 lol4

hugegrins hugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian[/quote/ " Socially acceptable " has never been my style winks
Minniesmum
Minniesmum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:35 pm

[quote="Minniesmum"]
Dutto wrote:

hugegrins hugegrins

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian[/quote/ " Socially acceptable " has never been my style winks

Well said!! allthumbz allthumbz

Enjoy the blanket! up!

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

12V Electric blanket use ? Empty keeping warm

Post by shelldrake Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 pm

My wife has never been cold in the M/H Possible due to the fact that she snuggles into me and luckily I don't feel the cold!
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next