Hab check

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Hab check

Post by algy on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:56 pm

Hi everyone,when I bought our clubman the habitation check had been done,I have just been booking it in for an engine service when he asked me about the hab check,I explained it had been done,but what is it that they actually do on a hab service....cheers...Algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Habitation check

Post by ubuntu1 on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:38 pm

Take a look at this web site - http://www.approvedworkshops.co.uk/faq/ If you read down the page you can download examples of the service sheets.

A habitation service gives you a damp check, gas checks, electrical checks (12v and 230v), water system, all appliances checked, visual inspection of seals, toilet lubricated and a variety of other tests. I also do a microwave leakage check and a room carbon monoxide check.

Its a very good safety check for your vehicle.
ubuntu1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

View user profile http://www.chatsworth-service.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hab check

Post by algy on Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:48 pm

Thank you,I will have a look at the link...cheers..Algy
algy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

What time of year for HAB check?

Post by Philip Bull on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:05 pm

Ubuntu1,
Thanks for the link to the Habitation Service Check Sheet. I found this very useful a a new owner of an Auto Sleeper.
When do most people have their HAB check done? I would guess that the start of the season is the best time.
Phil

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo /Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hab check

Post by Waves117 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Philip Bull wrote:
When do most people have their HAB check done? I would guess that the start of the season is the best time.
Phil

At the beginning of the season for me up!

Waves117 wave
Waves117
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : TRIDENT

View user profile

Back to top Go down

hab service

Post by ubuntu1 on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:18 pm

The only problem with everyone waiting for the start of the season is that engineers are very busy. If you have it done out of season (now) then the engineer will have more time to chat through issues and generally help you.
ubuntu1

Male

Auto-Sleeper : M/H engineer

View user profile http://www.chatsworth-service.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- on Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:35 pm

But it's the perfect time for those of us that do our own checks - weather starting to warm up, days getting longer.

I always do an oil and filter change at the same time (which means that irrespective of any other yearly service it never does more than 5k miles between oil changes) and do all the vehicle checks at the same time, as generally it's the first time in the year when you want to be out underneath looking up at its greasy bits!
-mojo-

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Philip Bull on Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:32 pm

Yes,
I always do an oil and oil filter change on my vehicles 6 months after the annual garage service and MOT. In March it might have warmed up a bit.
I do want to have the gas system checked by a professional, but I could probably handle the other things myself.
Do you know how to access the filter for the water pump?

Phil

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo /Lancashire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:27 pm

Thanks for the downloadable checklist.
Frankly I cannot see anything on it that I cannot do myself, and certainly nothing that would cost £100 for anyone to do. 99% of the stuff on the list is stating the bleedin' obvious. I mean to say most of the checks just consist of switchijg things on and off. It doesn't require any special tools, except for a gas pressure test, and a £1 mains polarity tester, and a damp meter, which is £4 multimeter with a couple if spikes.
The gas appliances are only checked for operation. Servicing is extra.

Is it really necessary to have the hab check done professionally? Or am I missing something that is obvious to the rest of you.

Regards

Peter
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by roli on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:49 am

I can understand what you are saying Peter, but its really a piece of mind thing imo.
You get familiar with your van and think ok everying is working all bright and rosey but is it.

Gas Test - I had over 25 years working around compressed gases and transportable gas containers but I would never do my own gas test on the van.  Thats the 1st think A1 would do when he arrives and after initial tests leaves it on soak to check for leakage over time.
Do you have Co / Co2 monitors for checking for fumes (other than low cost device fitted to van walls)

Electrical - fair enough that presents me with no problems equipment or skills wise but I dont have a device which induces a fault into the 240v system so make sure its shuts down.

Moisture Test - you have a point on testers

Chassis - I am in no condition now to go crawling under checking chassis mounting bolts, underfloor piping/ ducting etc and I guess many others are the same

So, the main thing is, equipment and independance and when you get an NCC Apprvd Mobile guy who is capable coming to you dont have to bother about taking anywhere.  That said when we eventually get motivated the Windsor is getting done at Spinney this year as it needs some parts fitting to the door which they have obtained from AS.

Not been out yet due to health, trust you and Janet are ok

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:50 am

I agree entirely. Only gas pressure test (manometer?) and a good damp meter (non-invasive ones used by good engineers can cost up to £500) is all that's needed but check your insurance (and any warranty) as mine insists (in the small print) that a check is undertaken by a 'qualified' engineer every year

Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm on Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:41 pm

On the gas leak question, what is wrong with this check for leaks?

Light a cooker ring then turn off the gas bottle and see how long the ring takes to go out. 
Next, switch off the gas ring and turn on the gas bottle.
 Then turn off the gas bottle. 
Wait three days. 
Press the igniter and switch on the gas ring.
See if the flame lasts for the same length of time as before.
 If so you are gas tight.
Remember, most regulations these days are there to increase the price to the consumer. Not their safety and convenience.

Regards

Peter
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:09 pm

When I purchased my Lunar Telstar from 300 miles away I relied on the expertise of an independent Approved Workshop Habitation and Dampness check before I made my final decision. I have to say that the check was initiated by the selling Dealer to also cover himself.

The Approved Workshop Scheme vetting system is a shambles (admitted by the Scheme personnel themselves) with every member on a base of 60% approval before any review is made! The "Approved Partner" failed to notice there was a solar panel on the roof, even though he used his own test battery for testing BUT the biggest gaff was missing water ingress between the 2 skins of the overcab skylight, even though it was hissing it down on the day. The dampness check gave a clean bill of health everywhere but it was on the home journey that I noticed rain water sloshing around between the skins! It's all very well pointing a dampness tester around the van but a pair of eyes help too!
This was obviously an old ingress as there was a line of green mold at the base of the skylight and a wayward silicon plug jammed between the skins - again, a visual check would've highlighted this. Worryingly, the water had run into the vehicle electrics including the Freeview digibox.
I have successfully sealed the window myself but I'm disappointed with the Scheme. It's only as good as the people who work with them. I left a feedback for the Member but just checked tonight and I see the AWS have amended their feedback system and my feedback has been removed!

Anybody wishing the name of this "Approved" member in the Birmingham area please get in touch by PM

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

gas leakage

Post by rtavy on Wed May 20, 2015 8:54 pm

That is not an approved way of testing for gas leaks.In fact is bordering on the edge of being foolish.How can you tell if the cylinder valve is passing by? listen LPG is very dangerous,dont mess if you do not know its properties.Peterm wrote:On the gas leak question, what is wrong with this check for leaks?

Light a cooker ring then turn off the gas bottle and see how long the ring takes to go out. 
Next, switch off the gas ring and turn on the gas bottle.
 Then turn off the gas bottle. 
Wait three days. 
Press the igniter and switch on the gas ring.
See if the flame lasts for the same length of time as before.
 If so you are gas tight.
Remember, most regulations these days are there to increase the price to the consumer. Not their safety and convenience.

Regards

Peter
rtavy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm on Fri May 22, 2015 11:27 am

Rtavy,
I only arsked!!

Thanks for pointing out that my test does not check whether the bottle valve is leaking or not. I will add to my method as follows: before turning the bottle on when arriving at a site check that the system is not already pressurised.
Would that do it?
BTW, I would add credibility to your reason for posting if you had adopted a less hectoring tone. A monometer is a leak test. My method checks for leaks, or doesn't it?

Regards

Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jaytee on Fri May 22, 2015 9:12 pm

I do similar to you PeterM on my caravan which is waaaaaaaay out of warranty. On the auto regulator there is a little green pressure indicator (basically a simple manometer). I always turn off the gas when parked up and if the green is still visible after a week or so then no leaks.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe
Vehicle Year : 2013

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown on Sat May 23, 2015 5:48 am

Jaytee wrote:I do similar to you PeterM on my caravan which is waaaaaaaay out of warranty. On the auto regulator there is a little green pressure indicator (basically a simple manometer). I always turn off the gas when parked up and if the green is still visible after a week or so then no leaks.
And it was exactly the same system that warned me I had a leak last year. It was the union between the hand tightened cylinder connector and the hose that was loosening - last thing I checked of course!

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern
Vehicle Year : October 2011

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum