Ebury Hill C&CC site, Shrewsbury

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ebury Hill C&CC site, Shrewsbury

Post by Paulmold on Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:33 pm

This is a site we have stayed on many times and is a firm favourite of ours. It is a no-facilities site meaning there is no toilet/shower block but there are plenty of EHU's. The best pitches are on the lower level with a view of the lake (fishing available), the upper level has some nice secluded pitches but a lot of rows of concrete which are divided into 3 pitches on each row. If stopping just for a night or two then these are OK but any longer I think you would want to be on the lower level. There is a delightful walk around the site through the surrounding woods which have lots of bird nesting boxes fixed on the trees and you see quite a variety of birds. Dog walk also through the woods. Code required to enter the barrier but automatic exit.
Shrewsbury town centre is packed with shops for a bit of retail therapy and also many fine buildings, as well as river cruises and a nice town walls walk. It's best to use the park and ride (there are 3 situated around the outskirts) to go into town. You have to wait until a bus arrives and the driver will open the height barrier to let you in.
TV reception very good as was phone signals.
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebury Hill C&CC site, Shrewsbury

Post by roli on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:43 am

Nice site as Paul says, particularly if you are a fisherman.

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:51 am

Something like this eh?

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold on Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:19 am

Was that caught there? I know there have been carp up to 20lb caught there. When we stayed there two years ago, the warden (sorry - holiday site manager) and assistants plus a couple of regulars were trying to clear the lake of weeds/reeds etc as it had got to the state that fishing was difficult, so difficult in fact that they were not charging. They rowed out across the lake, dropped a grappling hook over the side and then those on the bank hauled the boat and the weeds to the side. Took them a whole day and the huge pile of weeds etc was unbelievable. The C&CC would not spend a penny on clearing it, it was done voluntarily and it made a huge difference. The history of the site is that is was an Iron Age Hill Fort but during the 2nd World War it was home to military and years ago the lake (which is an old quarry up to 16ft deep) was used to dump scrap when they left the site. Apparently old engines and all manor of mechanical objects were pulled out. The concrete 'roads' I mentioned in my report are the foundations of the military buildings and are 4ft thick. The 6 metre rule seems to get forgotten on these as three units are pitched on them nose to tail. How the middle ones get out I don't know!
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Sorry Paul but I'm afraid that it was caught in Holland! Whistle1

If you look in the background you will see that the angler concerned had an incredible set up with regard to ground baiting. think_smiley_46

The radio controlled boat had a central hopper filled with ground bait. The boat chugged out into the middle of the lake and then released the ground bait exactly where he needed it! dont_mentionIt

Me? I thought a catapult that could throw a ball of ground bait 15 metres was "hi-tech" until I saw this!! allthumbz allthumbz

Just remember that Spring is just round the corner and the carp will come out to play again!
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum