The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Re: Mobility Scooters.

+7
modelman
boxerman
fluffles
Dutto
DuxDeluxe
Paulmold
CC
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Re: Mobility Scooters. Empty Re: Mobility Scooters.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:06 am

Gripe of the day!

Ok, I'll admit there are some who are deserving and probably rely on their mobility scooter to get around. -fair enough.

But, what about the speedy menaces who think they own the pavement? I am surprised that there is no 'competency' type test for these things as some 'scooterists' tend to just aim the things with no forethought for other folks.

Our personal experience over the weekend, my Aunt, 84, was knocked down by one of these censored! Not on the pavement but inside a shop!
The idiot scooterist, plowed into Auntie and vanished out of the shop. Thanks to the staff (Poundland) who helped her to her car and made sure she got home safely. She was shaken and bruised but otherwise OK.

Anyone else had an experience similar?

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Re: Mobility Scooters. Empty Re: Re: Mobility Scooters.

Post by CC Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:29 am

You just wait till I get mine.......

Re: Mobility Scooters. 34ezyfk

Know what you mean, many go way too fast and appear almost out of control..... another gripe of ours is the numbers of these at the motorhome shows, it's not so much the number of scooters but the inconsiderate people operating them... we find they cut in front of you from all directions almost running over your toes, stop dead in front of you and at the Lincoln show we witnessed a number of times scooter users stationary 4 and 5 abreast blocking the isles while people walking around on foot had to give way to oncoming people before they could get around them, the scooter owners totally oblivious to the congestion and frustration they were causing to others... while I'm at it, why do they assume because they are on a scooter they have the right of way over you scratch head

Sorry to hear about your aunt, that's a terrible example of the attitude of some of these scooter users.... having said all the above the bad ones are in a minority and most seem sensible, as usual the bad ones create a negative image of all

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:45 am

Hi CC,

There is a 'Sport Rider' local to us, I have to laugh as he wears biker leathers too, and spends most of his days outside the local pub.

Takes all sorts...

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:29 pm

CruizingComet wrote:You just wait till I get mine.......

Re: Mobility Scooters. 34ezyfk

another gripe of ours is the numbers of these at the motorhome shows, it's not so much the number of scooters but the inconsiderate people operating them...

Almost always accompanied by a minimum of two dogs on super-long retractable leads that the owners don't know how to use. (apologies to all sensible scooter users and dog owners)
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm

One of my pet hates...... As usual it is a minority that leads to a bad name. A gentlemen locally seems to think that the wearing of a hi-viz vest makes him inviolate whilst riding down the middle of the road - pavement isn't good enough for him
DuxDeluxe
DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:39 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:One of my pet hates...... As usual it is a minority that leads to a bad name. A gentlemen locally seems to think that the wearing of a hi-viz vest makes him inviolate whilst riding down the middle of the road - pavement isn't good enough for him

Yup, few of them round here too!

And an 'aged' couple with identicle scooters who race 2 a breast, middle of the road, down the narrowest of our lanes (which HAS a Pavement!). Following them I clocked their speed as somewhere between 5-10 mph. so angry

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14 pm

Hi there,

One of our neighbours drives her scooter up the pavement, steering with one hand, texting and holding a "munchie" in the other hand and with her dog tied to the scooter! tap_fingers

The finest example of "Multi-tasking" I have ever seen! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffles Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:08 pm

Have to hold my hand up on this one" I have one of these "scooters"

It is a god send to me, I'm able to keep up with my wife, the dog (on a good day when she feels like walking), and friends we were away with at the weekend staying at Ferry Medows, meant I was able to keep up with them when we all went walking. I will come back to this shortly.

Mine is a foldaway model usually carried in the car, but not in our 'van yet, no room! It is also only 4mph, many of the bigger ones are 6mph and the top models are 8mph, which I thought was more for the road, not 8mph on the pavement.

I agree with all the negative comments, and more. At the shows the majority of these users are rude and seem to think they have some sort of god given right to hog the front ground of most stands, stop when they feel like it with no care for others behind them, etc etc etc.

I do try not to do the things that I find annoying when I am on my "scooter". I have never had anyone (that I'm aware of) compain of any thing I have done while on it. But then I do give way to a lot of people who are on foot, mostly because it is easier for me as I am sitting down! I do get a lot of people giving way to me, cars stop when I'm crossing the road etc. Is this because I try not to be in peoples way?

Re, Ferry Medows. We did not realise that Nene Valley park (not the caravan site) have 3 or 4 mobility scooters for people who can't walk far etc. You have to phone the office near the cafe/gift shop to book it. The phone call is so they can advise of avaliabily and ensure that they have a full charge. There is no charge (no pun intended) for this although you will have to leave your address etc. I tried one while there and can not thank them enough for this, and better still, my own one has solid tyres but the one loaned to me had inflatable tyres. What an improvement in ride comfort. The caravan site at Ferry Medowa was far from busy, and may explain why we obtained one so quick.

fluffles allthumbz

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Peugeot executive

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:51 am

As usual, it's the badly behaved, inconsiderate ones in a group who get noticed and give the rest a bad name, whether it's teenagers, motorcyclists mobility scooterists or whatever. No-one ever notices the good ones.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:07 am

Having read ALL the above, & also agree with it all as well, I see a fundamental problem that will shortly arise, we,- us, are the 'baby-boomers',

there's more of us than other age-groups, & as such, WE will be the ones requiring these little machines to enable us to get around.

I personally think they are magic & have had a good look at various designs & specs, BUT, what on earth is going to happen when 'us' lot are let

loose on the public at large, the bloody things will be everywhere scratch head

Its already started round here, yesterday, there was 7 all parked up like a le-mans start out side the club smile!

ps, I like them & want one hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:47 am

Rude and arrogant drivers, of any vehicle, get short shrift from me but the ones that really get a good tongue lashing are those mobility scooter drivers who silently approach from behind, on the footpath, and then have the confounded cheek to hoot for me to get out of their way. If they acted on my response it would be very painful - for them.
Tonyt
Tonyt

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Sold -

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:02 am

Good Morning,

Wow! Interesting comments all, I didn't realise what a nest of hornets I have stirred up. Whistle1

Glad you are a considerate scooterist, Fluffles, pity there aren't more like you around, the streets may then be a lot safer!

BTW, update on 'aunties' run in (or over) with the scooter, she is now back on her 84 year old legs, and as usual shopping for Britain. lol4

Keep safe. "It's a jungle out there!"

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:21 am

Hi there,

I love this thread. up!

It looks to be evenly divided between:
o those who use scooters (or can see the need for one looming over the horizon of time), and, allthumbz
o those young enough to think that, by the time they get old and decrepit, "science" will have invented something else! Whistle1

Luckily I don't use one yet but in response to two of the posts:
o TonyT - Thanks for telling me not to "toot". I can now presume you are happy to be mown down as an alternative. snigger
o Fluffles - I've not "compained", but I have had dark thoughts that involve tipping your scooter into oncoming traffic. Whistle1

Personally, with regard to scooters, "Live and let live." and "There but for the grace of God." apply. look here look here

However, I must admit that really fat young women riding scooters on Skegness High Street, wearing lycra trousers pulled tight enough to show everything that God gave them, with one hand on the steering and the other holding the huge burger they are munching on, do get me shaking my head in wonder!! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:37 am

I think the one weekend that really made me smile was the Country & Western Show at Malvern when hundreds, and I mean hundreds of motorhomers dress up in authentic 'western' outfits, the men either trying to look like Wyatt Earp or Billy the Kid and the women in victorian/edwardian dresses with huge bustles behind. To see them riding around on their 'authentic' mobility scooters is quite a sight and in the evening go into the marquees and plug them into any available 13amp socket on the uprights supporting the marquee, and then get off the scooters and walk to the bar!
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Paulmold wrote:I think the one weekend that really made me smile was the Country & Western Show at Malvern when hundreds, and I mean hundreds of motorhomers dress up in authentic 'western' outfits, the men either trying to look like Wyatt Earp or Billy the Kid and the women in victorian/edwardian dresses with huge bustles behind. To see them riding around on their 'authentic' mobility scooters is quite a sight and in the evening go into the marquees and plug them into any available 13amp socket on the uprights supporting the marquee, and then get off the scooters and walk to the bar!

Definitely a bit of the old "Yeeeeeeee Haaaaaaa whip-crack-away!" there then. allthumbz

But I fully endorse the ".... walk to the bar!" element as I have been known to need a scooter on the way back from one!! Whistle1 Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:27 pm

Whoaa

Thought I had logged onto MHF by mistake. fight

We have the cyclist haters, now we have the the mobility scooter haters.

I took my wife to the Physio this morning, and on return, as it was a bright sunny (but breezy) morning, I decided to take her along the promenade.

For us to do this, she has to use her scooter, which also gives me the oppertunity to have a brisk walk. Now she would not be able to do this if she didn't have the scooter, We could of course use her wheelchair (which I would have to push), but it does mean she has still got a small degree of independance, and of course we can do this together, as we have done in the past with ie walking, skiing,and of course our beloved cycling.

My wife has Parkinsons and severe osteoporosis, and I can assure you she would very gladly give up the need to use the scooter, if she could walk, run and cycle, like we used to do together.

Enjoy your fitness whilst to can, because I assure you, you will not have it forever.

We now live in a very intolerant World,mores the pity.

Andy so_sad
andygump

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyt Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 pm

Andy - I'm sure your wife doesn't hoot as pedestrians to clear a path for her - which is my only my only criticism, so please don't include me in your Mobility Scooter Haters category.
Tonyt
Tonyt

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Sold -

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Andy,

Just tell your missus to follow the "Toot and mow 'em down!" principle. up!

Mind you, it does help if you know they are ignoring you to be rude rather than because they are deaf!! Whistle1 Whistle1

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS Is that the sound of back-pedalling I am hearing? think_smiley_46 think_smiley_46 lol4 lol4

Last edited by Dutto on Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add PS as Posts crossed over!)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:56 pm

Tonyt wrote:Andy - I'm sure your wife doesn't hoot as pedestrians to clear a path for her - which is my only my only criticism, so please don't include me in your Mobility Scooter Haters category.

Hi there,

Sorry, but if I saw someone going down the pavement and "tooting" for any other reason I would expect them to be being chased by people wearing white coats and waving nets!! lol4 lol4

As I said previously, I am loving this Thread; but will all those people standing in holes please stop digging before I have a stroke laughing! lol4 lol4

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:58 pm

andygump wrote:Whoaa

Thought I had logged onto MHF by mistake. fight

We have the cyclist haters, now we have the the mobility scooter haters.

Enjoy your fitness whilst you can, because I assure you, you will not have it forever.

I'm sorry Andy has taken it personally, no one objects to anyone using a scooter shrugg as pointed out at the start of the thread the inconsiderate ones are in a minority.

I too think this is a great thread and have just laughed my socks off at Paulmolds comments about the malvern show and responses like dutto's burger munching lycra encounter hugegrins

I'm particularly interested in this thread as my father has emphysema and can only walk around ten feet before leaning against something gasping to get his breath, it's a sad sight I can assure you... I've also considered getting myself a scooter as I struggle to get around sometimes as well as I used to due to health problems and nerve damage as a result of an operation, so if anyone has any advice about traveling with a scooter I'd be interested to know if you pull one on a trailer or if there is anything available to enable carriage on the towbar?

Also the reference to cyclists haters... if Andy is referring to my recent comments about cyclists riding on the pavement and therefore should be prosecuted then BRING IT ON! I occasionally cycle too.. but I use the roads as the law states and was at one time enforced by the Police!

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:10 pm

Hi Mike,

Looks like you Aunt was lucky, have a read of this news item in our local newspaper today.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/hit-and-run-mobility-scooter-hunt-16225142.html

A hit and run on an 84 year old who was knocked over and broke her arm. Police are looking for the mobility scooter driver who seems to be in his 70's.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 pm

Davy,

Just love it!

Newport had a population of only 23,957 back in 2001 so the statement "Police are now hunting the driver of the scooter ........" is significant. up!

Using the binomial distribution curve from "newly born" to "shuffling off this mortal coil" (starting at 0 and ending at 110 years of age) there will probably be no more than 400 to 500 possible 70 year old "suspect" males in the Police area. think_smiley_46

When you factor in "very pale complexion" (250 to 300), grey hair (150 to 200), slim build (75 to 150), habitually wearing a dark-coloured hat (25 to 50) and a black jacket (1 to 25) and with access to a scooter of course (1 to 5) the police should have no problem hunting him down. twiddle_thumbs

Anyone going to bet that they make a collar; and if they do what are the odds that the poor old beggar will remember the incident? Whistle1 Whistle1

Oh, wait a minute, I am already "in my 70th year" as they say but luckily for me I can even remember whatsisname from the telly who was on that programme about you know what up north in that place called something like "belly-pork". I think he had a scooter you know! allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:00 am

About 7 years ago we had a local lad of about 70 done for 'drink-driving' on his mobility scooter. He used to go every night to the British Legion and ride home worse for wear. He was actually banned from driving for 12 months. How do you ban someone who doesn't need a license to ride one of these scooters, I don't know? He heeded the ban though and took a taxi from then on.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:36 am

Hi there,

Like a lot of other laws in this land of ours they were passed with a valid reason (actually the usual media "scare story"); then modified to make them more far ranging; and then implemented in a fashion that we would NEVER have approved had we been asked!! look here

It all started back in the 60's when they brought in the Breathalyser and started clamping down on "drink driving". We all responded by either cycling or riding a horse to the pub, getting totally blasted and then riding back with the "V" sign for any passing policeman! allthumbz

The offence called "Drunk in Charge of a Bike" and "Drunk in Charge of a Horse" was passed way back in time, but when it was passed it wasn't meant to be included in the Breathalyser test (they hadn't been invented) and didn't include a years ban on driving a vehicle (they also hadn't been invented) and the fine for each offence was something like £50 even in the 1960's. tap_fingers

The powers that be therefore decided that "Drunk in Charge of a Bike or a Horse on a Public Highway" was a "moving traffic offence" and amended the Transport Act that introduced the Breathalyser to include almost anything that one could be "in charge of" (i.e. Horse, scooter, chariot, cow etc. etc.)

They then moved the punishment to coincide with those for being DUI of a vehicle! shrugg shrugg and can therefore remove your Driving Licence for being DIC of a bicycle, tricycle, quad bike, horse, scooter or almost anything else than can roll along a road! wave wave

(Incidentally, after a few people had escaped prosecution, the term "public highway" itself was decreed to include that area between the private land on either side of the road and includes all footpaths and verges that run alongside it. Nowadays it probably includes Tesco Car Parks and other areas accessible from a public road as well!!) tap_fingers

Anyway, this modification to the Transport Acts then opened the door to apply the punishments that we all voted for when we agreed that "Drunk in Charge of a Vehicle" was an offence worthy of severe punishment. wave

As a result, after having a few hefty drams and a couple of pints of beer and then riding along the road on my bike at 3am on a summer's morning from the Kildrummy Inn to my home in Glenkindie left me liable to the same punishment as someone being DIC and driving a lorry through the centre of London at school chucking out time!!! wave

Because of this I ALWAYS used my car!! wave wave wave

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS

Oh, by the way, just in case anyone gets on the "Drunk Drivers should be punished and so should anyone else who flaunts the law!" bandwagon:

1. Five days before the breathalyser was brought in I was run off the road by DIC and finished up in hospital for four months and off work for a total of nine-months; however, he wasn't riding a horse or a bike!

2. This is not the only law that has been passed on the basis that it is for "the greater good" but which has impinged on the life of only ordinary member of the public; with no noticeable effect on the crime rate! Our government (for lack of a better word) apparently fail to notice that the people who break the law are not impressed by a new law!

Ian

Last edited by Dutto on Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:40 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add licence removal situation!)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:06 am

TeamRienza wrote:Hi Mike,

Looks like you Aunt was lucky, have a read of this news item in our local newspaper today.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/uk/hit-and-run-mobility-scooter-hunt-16225142.html

A hit and run on an 84 year old who was knocked over and broke her arm. Police are looking for the mobility scooter driver who seems to be in his 70's.

Davy

Hi Davy,

The report makes interesting reading. Unfortunately in our case, I was not there at the time or the censored! wouldn't have got far.

I doubt if these are isolated cases, and I would bet a lot go un reported.

On a lighter note, on the Telegragh page I like some of the pictures in the 'sidebar' esp. 'Oktoberfest' Whistle1

Mike D
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next