The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

any tips for warmth

+2
roli
yorkshiretri
6 posters

Go down

any tips for warmth Empty any tips for warmth

Post by yorkshiretri Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:14 am

hi all, ive only done five nights in the van and not experienced any cold nights/ mornings yet, i wondered if anyone had any tips for keeping warm when it does get cold in one???!! the heater in mine does work but you have to stand right in front of it to get any benefit, quick update on the project too,,,, all welding in engine bay complete, service done, ht leads, filters, anti freeze in, undersealing chassis still on going!!!! happy camping everyone
yorkshiretri
yorkshiretri

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper : express

Back to top Go down

any tips for warmth Empty Re: any tips for warmth

Post by roli Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:29 am

Difficult to give tips when we dont know what model your van is. You have it shown as an Express - this is in fact the chassis, so it could be any number of models , Harmony, Talisman, Executive, &etc where the advice may differ from model to model.

As general advice if you are going on hookups then the small low wattage electric heaters from any of the "sheds" are ok as they take up little space and seem to work fine. For sleeping you could do worse than buy that well known invention from W.Yorks called a Duvalay - absolutely brilliant and you can move without restriction. Possible draughts coming from under the dash can be cured by making a curtain the fill the gap between the bottom of the dash and the floor attached with pop it thingy's.

There will be draught points irrespective of model and if these are not statutory vents for the various gas appliances then its seek and find time unless a previous owner has already had a go.
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:12 am

Hi there,

TIP ONE

Buy the best sleeping bag that you can afford. up!

I got a Vango Sonno Comfort from Blacks ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) earlier this year and have been overjoyed with the results!

The feature I really like is the zip at the bottom that allows me to stick my feet out when I get a bit warm! allthumbz

TIP TWO

ALWAYS let your partner get up first in the morning to make breakfast. By the time the coffee and toast is ready it is usually warm enough to stick your nose out of the sleeping bag! wave

TIP THREE

At home turn the thermostat down by 5 degrees to get yourself acclimatised to life at a lower temperature. I had a friend who inherited a 22 room mansion in the Scottish Highlands. His mantra to visitors was always "When you get cold just put another sweater on!" up!

Hope this helps.

Best regards (from a house without central heating),
drinksallround

Oh, sorry, I forgot to mention that most motorhomes have a gas fired heating system that can be used in dire emergencies when you wish to throw away money as opposed to putting on an extra layer of clothing!! lol4

Last edited by Dutto on Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by yorkshiretri Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:42 pm

thanks for replys, think il invest in a good double sleeping bag when it turns cold, the model isthe highwayman btw
yorkshiretri
yorkshiretri

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper : express

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Hi

One of the simplest and cheapest ways of keeping the habitation area warm, is to isolate the Cab area. Turn the slide option on the van heater to internal air circulation, quite a draught comes through this when it is on fresh air option. The next thing is to do, is get a long adjustable pole (the ones that go along the side of a bath to allow the shower cutain to hang) and cut it to the width of van, and hang a nice shower curtain to fill the gap,behind the backs of the seats. The standard shower cutains are just about the correct width, but will be on the short side ,so fill the gap(cold air trough) by using the small table top or a piece of cardboard (nice and light) to fill the gap at the bottom.

You should find that this will keep the habitation area fairly comfy, even in the coldest nights. smile! When not required the curtain can be slid to one side, and held back with the curtain ties.

Andy up!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:09 pm

Some good ideas above - I'd never thought of the shower curtain one, but it's true that the big glass area in the cab leaks heat really quickly.

Some other things: If it's got a built-in fridge, check around it for gaps. Because of the big vents to the outside, this can be a big source of draughts, and it's easy enough to seal around with foam - just make sure (obviously) that you're not sealing the burner area off from the outside!

If you're on EHU then one or more 500W greenhouse convector heaters work well - they are silent and so can be left on at night if needed, and are low enough power to be low fire risk.

If you're not on EHU then a really good source of heat is a paraffin pressure lamp, which pumps out loads of heat as well is being bright - and that also means less load on the leisure battery. However, make sure you get a recent one and maintain it well - they have the potential to produce CO if not running properly (though it would almost certainly be visibly/audibly obvious if it were not). I used one for years in my old camper, which had no other heating options, and never had any problems.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Or you could just find yourself one of these hugegrins

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Mind you... you would probably need a bigger van and some air rides so maybe not such a good idea lollarge

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down