Looking for a Scottish Site

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by micknhilary on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:29 pm

Hi All,
Thinking ahead to next year I am looking at sites suitable for a motorhome somewhere west of Stirling. One I have gleaned from the books is Trossach Holiday Park,Gartmore, near Aberfoyle. The postcode for Google Earth lovers is FK8 3SA. It is located just a little way off the A81.
I have no information about the site other than it is roughly in the right direction for my proposed annual Weymouth - Ullapool trip. This year I want to take in Fort William, hence my seeking out a different route.
Certainly Google Earth didn't inspire me, but I wonder if anyone in the ASOF has personal knowledge of the site, or indeed any other recommended sites in the area.

Many Thanks,
Mick. wave
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for a Scottish Site

Post by andygump on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Mick,

I am staying at my sons place in Callander at the moment, and I think you should be travelling up through here as you make your way up to the West Coast. There are a couple of Campsites in the area the Gart, which is very nice and the Kelltie Bridge Campsite is also OK. From Callender you then travel up through Glen Coe to Fort William. The other route is up Loch Lomandside, but that would mean going through Glasgow.

Hope this of help,

Andy up!

andygump

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:21 pm

Never used that one but we've stayed at the Gart caravan site just outside Callander which is quite a nice site and handy for Callander.
Post code FK17 8LE or google maps here http://goo.gl/maps/roH8H and street view here http://goo.gl/maps/kkdcG

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

View user profile http://www.rtmr.org

Back to top Go down

Post by icom706 on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:16 pm

Hello Mick,
I would agree with Andy, unless you particularly want to go up loch Lomondside your best route is through Calander to Crainlarich and then onto Glencoe, Ft William, Ullapool.

Enjoy your trip when it comes around (wish I was this well organised)

Ernie
icom706

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trophy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol on Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Here's a Scottish site (sic).............................

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by micknhilary on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 am

Good (grey) morning All.

Thanks to all for the advice. The site at Gart looks ok. Hilary is concerned that the roads between Gart and Fort William may be narrow and that we will surely be doomed. hugegrins Can I reassure her that there is no real problem with the roads, only the drivers?

Cheers.
Mick.
micknhilary
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : none
Vehicle Year : none

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 am

We go up to the Highlands every year and and for the last 20 or so have been going via Stirling & Callander. It's a much, much nicer way to go, much more relaxed than the hassle of driving through Glasgow. The roads are fine, they're main trunk roads, not single track and you'll be going though some beautiful scenery.

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK on Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:22 am

Hi micknhilary …
Trossachs Holiday Park is a good site and right in the heart of the Trossachs Country Park. I would also agree with all the other suggestions but will add a few more. Stirling itself has Witches Craigs site, The Woods at Fishcross, The Garden at Blairdrummond and Auchenbowie Caravan Site. If you do fancy taking in Loch Lomond rather than the Stirling/Callander/Crianlarich/Fort William route, head due west from Stirling to Balloch (thirty odd miles) where you have Lomond Woods site in Balloch and within walking distance of Loch Lomond Shores centre. You can then travel north up the west side of Loch Lomond. All are good trunk roads.

Don’t necessarily be put off by the alternative of travelling via the Glasgow route to Loch Lomond as the M74 new extension on the south side of the city gives you a pretty fast route right through and out to the west – just avoid the rush hour.

There are a host of sites along your route north – I you need more info, just PM and I’ll gladly advise.

Regards BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Autosleepless!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Groper on Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:16 pm

The C&CC site in Glencoe is one of my favourites in that area.The "Frying Scotsman" fish and chips van calls,we all have our own best but they are really incredible.The last time we were there the fish were swimming in the sea that morning and we were eating them in the evening!
The C&CC site at Barcaldine is also excellent and situated between Oban and Fort William.It is in a walled garden and there are a couple of nice walks from the site,including one to the reservoir which is my avatar.

Groper
Groper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Groper wrote:The C&CC site in Glencoe is one of my favourites in that area.
It used to be the Forestry Commission site didn't it? stayed there in tents in my walking days and remember it as being terribly midgey think_smiley_46. We prefer Invercoe on the shore of Loch Leven, just outside Glencoe village.
The "Frying Scotsman" fish and chips van calls,we all have our own best but they are really incredible.The last time we were there the fish were swimming in the sea that morning and we were eating them in the evening!
I wondered where he had got to biggrin there used to be a Frying Scotsman in a pull-off on the banks of Loch Cluanie, here I think http://goo.gl/maps/UftfC but he did much more than fish & chips. Not seen him for quite a while, probably retired by now?

Frank
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Groper on Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:52 pm

Hi Frank

Yes it used to be the Forestry site- we stayed quite early in the year before the midges were awake.
The Frying Scotsman was being run by two ladies.
We did consider the site by Loch Leven but it was full.

Groper
Groper

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 pm

micknhilary wrote:Good (grey) morning All.

Thanks to all for the advice. The site at Gart looks ok. Hilary is concerned that the roads between Gart and Fort William may be narrow and that we will surely be doomed. hugegrins Can I reassure her that there is no real problem with the roads, only the drivers?

Cheers.
Mick.

Hi there,

Statistically speaking (bearing in mind "There are lies, damned lies and statistics!") the A9 from Perth to Inverness is the most dangerous road in Scotland; so if you avoid that one .............. up!

I think that the main reason is that the road is wide, smooth, boring and with long long bends that disappear into the distance. As a result, people pull out to overtake in the belief that they will see and avoid anything coming towards them from around the bend. Big mistake!! Whistle1

The only other tip I have is "Remember that the 'Passing Points' are for people to overtake you as well." tap_fingers

Enjoy the trip it is a wonderful area to visit and there are a million "wild camping" places available. allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:51 pm

Mick

I would consider the CC site at Killin if you are coming up through Callendar.....nice site close to the village.

As mentioned the CC&C site in Glencoe is very good.

Near Fort William you also have the CC site at Bunree, fantastic views across the loch.

At Fort William there is the Glen Nevis Holiday Park, it is large but well run.

Alternatively, if you are not in a hurry....come half way up the west side of Loch Lomond, then through Arrochar, over the Rest and Be Thanful and across to Inverary then up to Oban. (this is one of my favourite routes up North). There is the CC&C site which has been mentioned and the North Ledaig CC affiliated site which has beautiful views across to Mull....the sunsets are spectacular......

Hope this helps.

Silver

Back to top Go down

Post by icom706 on Thu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 pm

Alternatively, if you are not in a hurry....come half way up the west side of Loch Lomond, then through Arrochar, over the Rest and Be Thanful and across to Inverary then up to Oban. (this is one of my favourite routes up North). There is the CC&C site which has been mentioned and the North Ledaig CC affiliated site which has beautiful views across to Mull....the sunsets are spectacular......

I agree Silver, I have relative that live in Oban and travel that route often, on a nice day it is hard to beat the views as you go over the rest and the approach to Inverary and Oban can be spectacular. allthumbz

Ernie
icom706

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Trophy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:31 pm

Earnie

Just thinking about makes me want to load the van and go......might just do that next week up!

Mick

Please excuse us daft Scots.....it's in the blood......even if you don't do this route on you're trip next year, it's worth doing sometime allthumbz

Silver

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum